It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Can states ignore the Civil Right Act? Or by decree, not enforce it when its protections are invoked?

They can't ignore it because the 14th Amendment. If the CRA were ever challenged in court, it would be ruled Constitutional under that Amendment

What about Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution makes laws deriving their authority from its provisions able to be ignored by the states?

Congress sets the rules for naturalization, but what Chicago is doing is not naturalization of immigrants.

If Chicago was granting some sort of citizenship, yes they are in violation of the clause. Refusing to arrest people at the behest of the government is not in violation though.

If ICE wants to round up immigrants in Chicago, they are free to do so on their own volition.

That's not exactly true. In the late 19th Century, the Supreme Court began upholding federal immigration regulations with the rationale that Article 1 grants such authority to regulate and enforce immigration law.

Here is the court in Hines v. Davidowitz:

Quote:
[W]here the federal government, in the exercise of its superior authority in this field [of immi­gration], has enacted a complete scheme of regulation and has therein provided a standard for the registration of aliens, states cannot, inconsistently with the purpose of Congress, conflict or interfere with, curtail or comple­ment, the federal law, or enforce additional or auxiliary regulation.

States can't just go around messing with federal immigration law, whether by overt action or inaction.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Flip the script.

If this were a city resisting a Federal requirement to accept immigrants, would your (anyone)'s view change?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:42 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Can states ignore the Civil Right Act? Or by decree, not enforce it when its protections are invoked?

They can't ignore it because the 14th Amendment. If the CRA were ever challenged in court, it would be ruled Constitutional under that Amendment

What about Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution makes laws deriving their authority from its provisions able to be ignored by the states?

Congress sets the rules for naturalization, but what Chicago is doing is not naturalization of immigrants.

If Chicago was granting some sort of citizenship, yes they are in violation of the clause. Refusing to arrest people at the behest of the government is not in violation though.

If ICE wants to round up immigrants in Chicago, they are free to do so on their own volition.

That's not exactly true. In the late 19th Century, the Supreme Court began upholding federal immigration regulations with the rationale that Article 1 grants such authority to regulate and enforce immigration law.

Quote:
[W]here the federal government, in the exercise of its superior authority in this field [of immi­gration], has enacted a complete scheme of regulation and has therein provided a standard for the registration of aliens, states cannot, inconsistently with the purpose of Congress, conflict or interfere with, curtail or comple­ment, the federal law, or enforce additional or auxiliary regulation.

States can't just go around messing with federal immigration law, whether by overt action or inaction.

Jln, you're completely missing the point here. The federal government cannot force local and state actors to actively enforce solely federal law. Think California, Colorado and other states with legal marijuana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Ogie wins this thread

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Quote:
Quote:
Jln, you're completely missing the point here. The federal government cannot force local and state actors to actively enforce solely federal law. Think California, Colorado and other states with legal marijuana

false narrative . It is still a class 1 narcotic illegal at fed level. Only reason the feds did not go after is because the Obama admin did not want to and seem uncool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
chaspoppcap wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

false narrative . It is still a class 1 narcotic illegal at fed level. Only reason the feds did not go after is because the Obama admin did not want to and seem uncool.

Wrong numbnutz, Obama was no friend to weed, the DEA raided more shops under Obama than Bush.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:53 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Flip the script.

If this were a city resisting a Federal requirement to accept immigrants, would your (anyone)'s view change?

I'm certain that they would.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
312player wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wrong numbnutz, Obama was no friend to weed, the DEA raided more shops under Obama than Bush.

Yup. Chas showing his ignorance once again. Very sad

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:55 pm 

312player wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

You realize that I'm talking about state and local actors right?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:56 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Quote:

That doesn't make sanctuary city policies any less unlawful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:01 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Regular Reader wrote:
312player wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

You realize that I'm talking about state and local actors right?

I haven't even read your quotes, I read Chas' .. He stated Obama "wanted to be cool" so he had the feds back off weed.

Why isn't your name under Chas quote?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
RR and Chas are hard to distinguish.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:12 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Quote:

That doesn't make sanctuary city policies any less unlawful.

Pick a lane. Or a constitutional section upon which to base your argument.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:14 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

Was the "lawfulness of sanctuary cities under the 10th" lane not picked?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:21 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

Get back to me when the feds get their asses kicked in court. There is no duty for the locals to actively here. If the ag, idiot potus and his yes men couldn't figure out the constitution yet, maybe they'll get it after the on coming thrashing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:22 pm 

What a mess huh?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:25 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Get back to me when the feds get their asses kicked in court. There is no duty for the locals to actively here. If the ag, idiot potus and his yes men couldn't figure out the constitution yet, maybe they'll get it after the on coming thrashing

What were your thoughts on the actions of Kim Davis?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:25 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Who?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:28 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Who?

The state actor who didn't comply with de facto federal law from SCOTUS.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:34 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Who?

I don't consider this area particularly enjoyable, so in the words of the current clowns in the executive branch, I'll have to look into this and get back to you

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
312player wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

furthermore, the Obama administration kept it Schedule 1 despite a DEA review to consider descheduling it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:34 am 

Chicago would save a lot of money if it ignored federal murder laws.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:23 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Immigration is such an odd issue. The right claims the left wants them here so they can vote for them. The left denies but fights tooth and nail to let them in and keep them here. The left claims the right wants them here to use the cheap labor and save money. The right denies this and fights tooth and nail to deny them entry and get them out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:34 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Who?

Wasn't she not complying with State Law as well? I can't remember her whole saga.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:44 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Wasn't she not complying with State Law as well? I can't remember her whole saga.

I also can't recall all of it. Was she following a state order to a tee to avoid following a federal court order?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:41 am 

pittmike wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

I also can't recall all of it. Was she following a state order to a tee to avoid following a federal court order?

Maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:34 am 

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=95770

God this thread was great.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:44 am 

You can read 21 pages. I'm good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:53 am 

I had forgotten her name.

Jln, this is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. She was actively denying people their civil rights. Entirely differentmatter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:02 am 

pittmike wrote:
You can read 21 pages. I'm good.

Like you have something better to do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next