It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/07/politics/rahm-emanuel-doj-sanctuary-city-cnntv/index.html

Washington (CNN)The City of Chicago escalated its months-long battle with the Trump administration over immigration enforcement Monday, asking a federal court to block Attorney General Jeff Sessions from imposing several new conditions over certain federal grant money.
The suit revolves around specific conditions Sessions announced in July for a federal program, the Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant, or Bryne JAG, which provides federal funding to support local law enforcement efforts.

Nice way to waste even more money the City does not have protecting non-citizens.

Last edited by chaspoppcap on Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Im not real bright but is this the situation? Chicago is violating federal law by being a sanctuary city. The federal government ( Trump) has in turn said we will cut off the money faucet to you guys because of it , now Rahm is suing them to prevent them from doing that while still violating federal law?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:05 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Im not real bright but is this the situation? Chicago is violating federal law by being a sanctuary city. The federal government ( Trump) has in turn said we will cut off the money faucet to you guys because of it , now Rahm is suing them to prevent them from doing that while still violating federal law?

Basically yes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Wonderful.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
R. Ham.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I'm personally a fan of Federalism and the 10th Amendment. It's nice to see liberals awaken to the concept. Too bad it took them this long to realize government power should be decentralized

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Rahm is a dickless/feckless mayor. Sits by and watches 1/2 his city turn into Iraq.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Frank Coztansa wrote:
R. Ham.

A pig that pees on underage girls.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Poor Hawg :(

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
I hope he loses another part of his finger.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I'm personally a fan of Federalism and the 10th Amendment. It's nice to see liberals awaken to the concept. Too bad it took them this long to realize government power should be decentralized

Isn't creating a uniform law of naturalization a power expressly granted to the federal government by the constitution? And don't they then have the implied power to enforce said uniform law and exact its uniformity?

I like a system of dual federalism as well, but this is not an issue really up for debate. The feds set the immigration tune that the states all dance to.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
badrogue17 wrote:

I don't get, either.

I don't understand how you can sue for suffering the consequences of breaking the law. I guess it's like guy who breaks into a store, hurts himself in the process of ripping the place off, then sues the owner of the store.

Last edited by Tad Queasy on Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:05 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Isn't creating a uniform law of naturalization a power expressly granted to the federal government by the constitution? And don't they then have the implied power to enforce said uniform law and exact its uniformity?

I like a system of dual federalism as well, but this is not an issue really up for debate. The feds set the immigration tune that the states all dance to.

in terms of naturalization and citizenship, yes.

In terms of using your own local law enforcements and resources for rounding up and arresting those in violation of those laws, no

Cities cannot grant citizenship, but they also cannot be compelled to check visa status. The City of Chicago will likely win this case.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
Tad Queasy wrote:
I don't understand how you can sue for suffering the consequences of breaking the law. I guess it's like guy who breaks into a store, hurts himself in the process of ripping the place off, then sues the owner of the store.

And the person suing, in those cases, wins most of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:10 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

In terms of using your own local law enforcements and resources for rounding up and arresting those in violation of those laws, no

Cities cannot grant citizenship, but they also cannot be compelled to check visa status. The City of Chicago will likely win this case.

1. I think the necessary and proper clause gives the government the power to compel compliance with the uniformity of the law. Not enforcing the law is a de facto break in the uniformity.

2. And the University of Minnesota suing on behalf of foreign nationals not even in the country yet got a preliminary injunction against the President of the United States in an arena of settled law. Sure, they'll probably "win", but it won't be right or lawful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Is the city still not deporting people even after being arrested for something else and not just seeking out immigration status at random?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
likemarsen wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

And the person suing, in those cases, wins most of the time.

Add that to the warehouse full of things that don't make any sense to me. I can read the ruling and the reason why the person won in a case like that, but it's still ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:46 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Can they ignore any federal law?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:22 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

The Tenth Amendment says in many cases that they can.

Really they aren't ignoring the law, but rather they are not using their city resources to enforce the law. If they forbid ICE from working in the city, then yes they are violating Federal law, but choosing not to perform ICE's duties for them is perfectly legal.

The Tenth Amendment is a great part of our Constitution and it is an amendment that is all too seldom recognized. In the era of Trump, many are starting to remember that it exists.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The Tenth Amendment is a great part of our Constitution and it is an amendment that is all too seldom recognized.

I'll drink to that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:41 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Really they aren't ignoring the law, but rather they are not using their city resources to enforce the law. If they forbid ICE from working in the city, then yes they are violating Federal law, but choosing not to perform ICE's duties for them is perfectly legal.

The Tenth Amendment is a great part of our Constitution and it is an amendment that is all too seldom recognized. In the era of Trump, many are starting to remember that it exists.

Can states ignore the Civil Right Act? Or by decree, not enforce it when its protections are invoked?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:43 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Can states ignore the Civil Right Act? Or by decree, not enforce it when its protections are invoked?

They can't ignore it because the 14th Amendment. If the CRA were ever challenged in court, it would be ruled Constitutional under that Amendment

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:47 pm 

but they are refusing to work with ICe by not turning over people on the deportation list

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:47 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

They can't ignore it because the 14th Amendment. If the CRA were ever challenged in court, it would be ruled Constitutional under that Amendment

What about Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution makes laws deriving their authority from its provisions able to be ignored by the states?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
This is quite the ideological conundrum for MANY.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:54 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
This is quite the ideological conundrum for MANY.

Yup. Ogie talking good about Chicago!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:08 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

What about Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution makes laws deriving their authority from its provisions able to be ignored by the states?

Congress sets the rules for naturalization, but what Chicago is doing is not naturalization of immigrants.

If Chicago was granting some sort of citizenship, yes they are in violation of the clause. Refusing to arrest people at the behest of the government is not in violation though.

If ICE wants to round up immigrants in Chicago, they are free to do so on their own volition.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:09 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:
but they are refusing to work with ICe by not turning over people on the deportation list

They don't have to do so. ICE can make the arrests themselves if they wish.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I believe the case law is already settled when Arizona got its butt kicked that immigration is the purvue of the Feds. But I am with Ogie in that they can't cram that down the locals' throat. The Feds way of "forcing" states and cities to do what they want is with funding dollars.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
denisdman wrote:
I believe the case law is already settled when Arizona got its butt kicked that immigration is the purvue of the Feds. But I am with Ogie in that they can't cram that down the locals' throat. The Feds way of "forcing" states and cities to do what they want is with funding dollars.

Luckily, out in the stix, that 55mph speed limit really didn't mean a whole lot!