All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Score
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:48 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Amen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
wasnt there some outward beef between the board and HUUUGE? anybody willing to tell that story to a relative newcomer?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:24 am 

Heisenberg wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
That's what is now missing in MANY of these shows--the hosts just agree with each other the entire show.

pittmike wrote:
In the past, it would be very easy for the HFC to take both positions (each taking a side) even if they didn't believe one side. It would be good radio.

Boers and Bernstein used to pride themselves on subverting the trope of "one guy thinks this and the other thinks that" contrived radio debate. It's something they would openly acknowledge, that they weren't going to lie to you and force arguments where they didn't exist. That's good, and I respect that, but it falls apart when one person doesn't have anything to add, or when one person is Laurence Holmes and becomes consumed with flattering his partner and showing off how with-it he is and you aren't. Also, while it made sense that two hosts weren't never going to Embrace Debate and disagree on every conceivable topic, it was just as strange to agree that much, too.

I'm not advocating fake debates (sad!). When I'm with my friends, we have honest debates on sports. I was out east this week, and there were two radio guys debating whether Kapernick should be signed or not. They both made points, and it was interesting (I pulled into a parking garage and listened until a commercial break--when was the last time you did that for a Score show?). You would never hear that debate on B&G, they would both just side with Kapernick.

There could be honest debates on who should start Game 1 for the Bears at quarterback. Honest debate about Maddon's managing decisions this year. Honest debates about the Sox rebuilding efforts and how long fans have to wait to see some progress. The list goes on.

I just don't seem to hear that much, and I don't think it's just Twitter. Perhaps Twitter makes them stick to a position they tweet. I think the real problem is that most of the hosts there have become mini-Bernsteins. Geez, I sound like Beardown, or maybe Beerdown, but I don't mean to.

I think the reason that you don't have that on the Score these days is because they believe that those sort of discussions are beneath them. On some level they believe that they are too cool for school. To me if there was ever a Bernstein effect that's it. This sort of thinking began with him. At some point they began to view passionate sports fans as idiots. You would often hear hit during broadcasts. How dare you be this concerned about sports. It's just a game after all. Guys that were overly concerned about it were fools because in most cases they failed to "monetized" it. Boers and Bernstein were the biggest offenders in this regard. Serious radio was not synonymous with serious sports discussions. They used to ridicule guys Bayless because he seemed overly concerned about sports.

I don't think that you will ever get that on the Score because honestly they don't want it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:42 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Not only do they think it's beneath them; they treat many of their (Bernstein's) views as facts rather than opinions. If someone were to call to criticize the Cubs or Sox rebuild, they wouldn't have their points refuted by the host... they would just be called dumb and hung up on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:08 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
leashyourkids wrote:
Not only do they think it's beneath them; they treat many of their (Bernstein's) views as facts rather than opinions. If someone were to call to criticize the Cubs or Sox rebuild, they wouldn't have their points refuted by the host... they would just be called dumb and hung up on.

Good point. At some point they stopped differentiating between "meathead" fans and "acceptable" fans. They used to just make fun of the meatheads, but now anyone with a different opinion is just dumb and wrong.

For example, they rail on Trump all the time. Whether you like him or not, based on their demographic, I bet over half their listeners voted for him. So they are continually calling that half stupid--not different, not frustrated with status quo, but objectively wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Tad Queasy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Solo radio is just the fucking worst. It doesn't matter how good the host is. I'm really disliking this trend if Parkins solo every time Spiegel is off

Less Spiegel is good (and also a fine accountant) but all Parkins is not good.

Maybe Spiegel could be a part timer?

My lap band surgery was performed by Dr. Les Spiegel.