It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Me
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:40 am 

It turns out while I was watching Game Of Thrones teachers across the country were putting together lesson plans with supplies they purchased with their own money.

I had assumed they had time to do it in the 2 months they were off prior to that episode. Shame on me.

Post subject: Re: Me
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
:lol: :lol:

9:58

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
With their own money? Not anymore.

https://www.donorschoose.org/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:34 am 

jimmypasta wrote:

Can I donate to teachers so they can order HBO?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

I don't have HBO! My daughter-in-law has a classroom that needs stuff,so she uses this website.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
jimmypasta wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

I don't have HBO! My daughter-in-law has a classroom that needs stuff,so she uses this website.

Who knew that the CFMB was supporting education?

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
When did teachers become such punching bags? I've been seeing way too much of this lately.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:12 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
DAC wrote:
When did teachers become such punching bags? I've been seeing way too much of this lately.

Around when the private-equity firms behind charter schools started donating to the Democrats. The far right had been shitting on teachers for years, but for stupid reasons like not teaching that Jesus rode dinosaurs to the ends of our 4,000-year-old flat earth, so normal people didn't care. Dreaded centrist liberals like Arne Duncan, Michelle Rhee, and Rahm Emanuel made it okay to call public educators a bunch of union-loving layabouts who don't work hard enough for YOUR DAMN KIDS, and it works because unlike the religious right, they're not baldly insane.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:15 am 

DAC wrote:
What do you mean punching bags?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Perhaps teachers are punching bags as the last 4 decades have seen a 300-400% increase in educational spending per pupil (that's when adjusted for inflation) with at best no growth in performance metrics and at worse a steady decline.

Perhaps some of us who have grown up in over the last few decades and have been through public schools have seen situations where incompetent teachers are protected by public sector unions and their pay is based upon seniority rather than real results.

I say this as the child of a teacher. (one who actually gives a damn though)

Public education in this country is broken and the lack of accountability amongst employees who are members of unions is a big piece of the puzzle. I can pull out the OECD stats if you want. (they really paint a dark picture)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:20 am 

Teaching is a great and noble profession. Many deserve to be paid more. I just don't need to be shamed and told that teachers have it so tough because there are things about their jobs that suck just like there are things that suck about every job.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Teaching is a great and noble profession. Many deserve to be paid more. I just don't need to be shamed and told that teachers have it so tough because there are things about their jobs that suck just like there are things that suck about every job.

I would argue that the public sector unions are part of the problem. There are good teachers who do deserve to be paid more and a performance measured bonus scale would allow for that instead of the bullshit pay scale set by unions where teachers are guaranteed a raise based upon years worked rather than how they perform relative their peers. People respond to incentives so provide those incentives.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:24 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Perhaps teachers are punching bags as the last 4 decades have seen a 300-400% increase in educational spending per pupil (that's when adjusted for inflation) with at best no growth in performance metrics and at worse a steady decline.

Perhaps some of us who have grown up in over the last few decades and have been through public schools have seen situations where incompetent teachers are protected by public sector unions and their pay is based upon seniority rather than real results.

Public education in this country is broken and the lack of accountability amongst employees who are members of unions is a big piece of the puzzle. I can pull out the OECD stats if you want. (they really paint a dark picture)

I don't blame teachers for the lack of achievement. I blame the breakdown of the family unit and poor parenting. Find me a good community with good parents that value education and you'll find the results you're looking for.

I say this as a son and a husband of teachers.

Last edited by DAC on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Nobody is to blame. Americans are just fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:29 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I would argue that the public sector unions are part of the problem. There are good teachers who do deserve to be paid more and a performance measured bonus scale would allow for that instead of the bullshit pay scale set by unions where teachers are guaranteed a raise based upon years worked rather than how they perform relative their peers. People respond to incentives so provide those incentives.
JORR originally made the point about public unions and I am coming around to that more and more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
How do you evaluate teachers?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:36 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
Number of glasses of wine needed at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:37 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

This is an incredibly ignorant statement.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Number of glasses of wine needed at the end of the day.

Is 6 good or bad?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:39 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
DAC wrote:
I don't blame teachers for the lack of achievement. I blame the breakdown of the family unit and overall poor parenting. Find me a good community with good parents that value education and you'll find the results you're looking for.

Agreed. Also, not every kid is cut out to be a superstar student. Some kids just don't have the right genes for being Good At School.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Curious Hair wrote:
DAC wrote:
I don't blame teachers for the lack of achievement. I blame the breakdown of the family unit and overall poor parenting. Find me a good community with good parents that value education and you'll find the results you're looking for.

Agreed. Also, not every kid is cut out to be a superstar student. Some kids just don't have the right genes for being Good At School.

Don't know about you guys, but some of the most vile fuck-ups I know came from well-off, affluent families and attended private school. Of course, some of those fuck-ups also helped me lose my virginity, so you gotta take the good with the bad.

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Hatchetman wrote:

Ideally, you would measure the student at the beginning of the school year and then at the end, to gauge progress. Obviously it wouldn't be fair to look at just the end result, as many kids will be behind through no fault of the teacher.

To me, the future of education is Khan Academy (or similar). The costs would be dramatically lower, and kids could learn at their own pace. The union opposition would never let that happen.

pizza_Place: John's
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
DAC wrote:

Don't know about you guys, but some of the most vile fuck-ups I know came from well-off, affluent families and attended private school. Of course, some of those fuck-ups also helped me lose my virginity, so you gotta take the good with the bad.

Shots fired at denis!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Hatchetman wrote:

By height

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:52 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

To me, the future of education is Khan Academy (or similar). The costs would be dramatically lower, and kids could learn at their own pace. The union opposition would never let that happen.

Have you ever watched Khan Academy?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Why should they work for free in those 2 months?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:56 am 

Teacher's unions aren't the problem. There are factors which play a much greater role than that. The so called business model isn't the answer for improving education. Incentivized instruction is practiced in Charters and the results are often worse than those found in the neighborhood schools which surround them.

Schools are often a product of the communities in which they are located. Unless you have a tracking system then a school in a bad neighborhood is going to be a bad school. There are no magic potions for improving schools. You want to improve education you must first improve society.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I think I missed something. What is the OP referencing?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Caller Bob wrote:
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
DAC wrote:

Shots fired at denis!

I am quite happy with their school and the output in terms of their development.