It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Me
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
DAC wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The criticism was not about not working for free. It's about telling the world every chance they get that something about their job sucks.

I don't know what circles you run in but I have quite a few teacher friends and family members. I haven't heard a single complaint about going back to work, spending their own money on school supplies, or having to plan a lesson instead of watching GoT. I would have thought if they complain every chance they get that I might see something on Facebook or on the group chats. Hell, I went to a game last week with a teacher buddy and he didn't mention his job all night.
You are right. It's never brought up anywhere. I just made it all up. How did you see through my evil teacher hating propaganda?

Jeesh! Everyone who went to Purdue hates teachers!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Perhaps teachers are punching bags as the last 4 decades have seen a 300-400% increase in educational spending per pupil (that's when adjusted for inflation) with at best no growth in performance metrics and at worse a steady decline.

Perhaps some of us who have grown up in over the last few decades and have been through public schools have seen situations where incompetent teachers are protected by public sector unions and their pay is based upon seniority rather than real results.

I say this as the child of a teacher. (one who actually gives a damn though)

Public education in this country is broken and the lack of accountability amongst employees who are members of unions is a big piece of the puzzle. I can pull out the OECD stats if you want. (they really paint a dark picture)

This is an incredibly ignorant statement.

as usual, I have the facts on my side.

Also as usual, you have absolutely nothing to back up your assertion.

Would you also like me to pull up the chart of per pupil spending among OECD nations vs. their test scores? That chart is even more alarming.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
LTG gets destroyed again. Though I kinda would have enjoyed seeing him post that graph.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Perhaps teachers are punching bags as the last 4 decades have seen a 300-400% increase in educational spending per pupil (that's when adjusted for inflation) with at best no growth in performance metrics and at worse a steady decline.

Perhaps some of us who have grown up in over the last few decades and have been through public schools have seen situations where incompetent teachers are protected by public sector unions and their pay is based upon seniority rather than real results.

Public education in this country is broken and the lack of accountability amongst employees who are members of unions is a big piece of the puzzle. I can pull out the OECD stats if you want. (they really paint a dark picture)

it's how you interpret facts that matters. and there's no context there. there are some very rational (i'm not saying good; i'm saying rational) reasons why spending has increased.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
tommy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

it's how you interpret facts that matters. and there's no context there. there are some very rational (i'm not saying good; i'm saying rational) reasons why spending has increased.

The interpretation is pretty clear that our vast increase in spending has at the very best led to no improvement in any of the metrics by which we measure performance at our schools.

I can point you to the OECD data as well where depending upon the year we are 3rd or 4th in the world in per pupil spending. As far as test scores go, we finish at the bottom of the OECD and even behind many 3rd world countries which spend even far less and aren't part of the OECD (Vietnam for example).

The fucking teachers unions and politicians scream that they don't receive enough money and that's the problem with schools. Data shows they receive plenty of money. We spend an awful lot on our public education system and nothing ever changes as the teacher's unions are there with the politicians in tow to block every single reform.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
tommy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

The interpretation is pretty clear that our vast increase in spending has at the very best led to no improvement in any of the metrics by which we measure performance at our schools.

I can point you to the OECD data as well where depending upon the year we are 3rd or 4th in the world in per pupil spending. As far as test scores go, we finish at the bottom of the OECD and even behind many 3rd world countries which spend even far less and aren't part of the OECD (Vietnam for example).

The fucking teachers unions and politicians scream that they don't receive enough money and that's the problem with schools. Data shows they receive plenty of money. We spend an awful lot on our public education system and nothing ever changes as the teacher's unions are there with the politicians in tow to block every single reform.

The interpretation is not totally clear. Why are we spending so much on K-12 education? Sure, blocking reforms accounts for some of it. But there seem to be other causes as well. I can think of a few.

To really deal with this would take a massive shift in cultural attitudes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:12 am 

Education does not matter in many households.

I watched multiple high school kids a few years ago draw pictures on their PLAN test answer key because it didn't count toward graduation.

A lot of those same kids if they grew up in environments that were not fucked up, would have been normal scoring students.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:43 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Also as usual, you have absolutely nothing to back up your assertion.

Would you also like me to pull up the chart of per pupil spending among OECD nations vs. their test scores? That chart is even more alarming.

The chart that you posted has nothing to do with the statement that education is broken with teacher accountability being a "big piece of the puzzle". That is the part that I chose to address. It's an ignorant statement and one that is easily refuted for people familiar with education.

Charter Schools often produce results that are worse than UNION protected Public Education. Charter School teachers do not have Unions and thus their teachers can be fired at any moment.

Their results are worse even though they are not bound by the same rules as Public educators. Troublesome students are removed at a moment's notice as well as troublesome teachers. When they are removed they become the problem of the neighborhood schools. Neighborhood schools do not possess the "right of first refusal clause" in their contracts either. They have to accept any child thhat falls within their attendance boundaries. There are no exceptions.

When you state that it is politicians that protect Unions you also display complete ignorance. Politicians have pushed Charters and forms of privatized education for the past 15-20 years. They are no friends of Unions, as statistics have shown that Union membership only makes up about 7% of the work force in this country.

If teacher protected Unions are a "big piece of the puzzle" as you assert then why are the results often the same or worse in schools that don't have Unions?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
"Public Unions" are this generation's "Welfare Queen". An easily relatable target for a problem that is much too complex for the average American to think about.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:57 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:37 am 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
LTG gets destroyed again. Though I kinda would have enjoyed seeing him post that graph.

Put your pom-poms down. Perceptions regarding "winners" and "losers" of these rhetorical slapfests are rarely based on the superiority of argument. An international figure skating contest run by members of The Kremlin's Politburo would contain a greater of objectivity.

Last edited by long time guy on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:39 am 

And they dont even care about the kids...

Disappointed that NOT ONE member of the district ... school board came to 8th grade awards night. I thought they cared about the students? The awards this evening went to students who were recognized by their teachers for their exemplary work. This was a time for you to be present and show the students how proud the district is of their achievements. Only about 1/4 of the graduating class received these accolades. — feeling irritated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:43 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
are they expected to attend award shows off the clock for free ??

http://www.theonion.com/article/teacher ... htmare-357

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:45 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Maybe schools don't matter at all?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:46 am 

Bagels wrote:
are they expected to attend award shows off the clock for free ??

http://www.theonion.com/article/teacher ... htmare-357

Only if they care, but clearly they dont...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:09 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Hatchetman wrote:

it's all random just like the MLB playoffs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Bagels wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

it's all random just like the MLB playoffs

And managers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Common Core was invented by people like Joe Orr. Think about it..it doesn't matter if you only scored 40% on your math test, if that was the best score, on that particular day, in that particular class, chalk it up as a success(aka "win")!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:08 am 

Not by you though..Ogie had to do it. You are like Sam Rothstein having your henchman beat up Lester Diamond,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:24 am 

Caller Bob wrote:

Not by you though..Ogie had to do it. You are like Sam Rothstein having your henchman beat up Lester Diamond,

Say it ain't so CB. Ogie made a statement regarding Teacher Unions and supported it by providing a pie chart about Per Pupil funding as it relates to the rest of the world. Absolutely no relevance. He attempted to pass that off as supporting evidence and predictably JLN, obfuscator in chief was there for the assist. That was a Money Mayweather styled Beatdown. I expect that out of the extremely partisan JLN but not you. Reports of slippage on your part are being validated with each passing day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:33 am 

I'm just a 3rd party judge here...leave me out of this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Caller Bob wrote:

So that would make you....Ginger? If not for LTG's Lester Diamond, who is your new sponsor?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:30 pm 

Hopefully he closed the deal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
rogers park bryan wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
rogers park bryan wrote:

He should have chipped in for a breast enhancement,too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
rogers park bryan wrote:

Who the fuck is questioning random strangers grocery cart contents??

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:49 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

black men who have "bedding a white blonde woman" on their bucket list

Carpe diem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

black men who have "bedding a white blonde woman" on their bucket list

Carpe diem

Carpe sexus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:03 pm 

I'm about to go to Wal-Mart and just walk around with 150 notebooks in my cart until someone stops me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:19 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I'm about to go to Wal-Mart and just walk around with 150 notebooks in my cart until someone stops me.

You could have a nice grift on your hands here if you get it to work, exchange all the notebooks at customer service, and then stock up on groceries with store credit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next