It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:15 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
First of all, that's not a thing. Prices are what the market dictates. Price gouging is only possible with government controls.

Second, why do you want to hurt people already suffering a catastrophe by making it even harder for them to obtain what they need?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:17 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Tell that to the gas stations.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:23 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Some libtards believe businesses have an obligation not to charge what the market dictates.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:24 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
First of all, that's not a thing. Prices are what the market dictates. Price gouging is only possible with government controls.

Second, why do you want to hurt people already suffering a catastrophe by making it even harder for them to obtain what they need?

Isn't "price gouging" simply demanding as much as the market will allow?

And your second paragraph doesn't seem to be very libertarian. Market capitalism isn't a humanitarian pursuit. Why would I charge less than the market value just because you're suffering?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:28 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

And your second paragraph doesn't seem to be very libertarian. Market capitalism isn't a humanitarian pursuit. Why would I charge less than the market value just because you're suffering?

Price controls hurt relief efforts much more than price gouging does. The libertarian approach here is also the most humanitarian.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:31 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Price controls hurt relief efforts much more than price gouging does. The libertarian approach here is also the most humanitarian.

That's also a very traditional Conservative Republican philosophy. I'm not disagreeing with you, but it is the kind of thing that gets you labelled as "mean spirited" by Hillary voters.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:33 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

That's also a very traditional Conservative Republican philosophy. I'm not disagreeing with you, but it is the kind of thing that gets you labelled as "mean spirited" by Hillary voters.

I guess you could label it as conservative, but it isn't. It's just plainly true. Even most liberals will acknowledge this is true, they just wish it weren't.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:34 am 

It is an economic fact that controlling how much someone can charge for a product will decrease the supply.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:36 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Even most liberals will acknowledge this is true, they just wish it weren't.

This sentence is a pretty good summary of the current state of American "liberalism" which is why a lot of heretofore liberals no longer want to identify as such.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:48 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I guess you could label it as conservative, but it isn't. It's just plainly true. Even most liberals will acknowledge this is true, they just wish it weren't.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:52 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
One way to fix this.

Move

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:55 am 

FF's statement is true. Some of these people live in a world that doesn't exist. I'd love it too if we could artificially suppress prices in times like these, but it's simply impossible without repercussions. Sometimes they think just because something seems humane that it MUST be possible.

I have no problem with the government paying for these things at market value and giving them to those in need, but they can't simply tell suppliers what they can and cannot charge.

The argument becomes a bit different when talking about patent laws and things like that. That little weasel who charges a billion dollars for AIDS medication should be taken to a firing squad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:24 am 

I'd say the only thing that really needs limits is gas. Make the rule that you can only charge a dollar over what the maximum price you charged for gasoline in the past two years. A scenario where all gas in Florida costs $45 a gallon today would make things much worse.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:26 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I'd say the only thing that really needs limits is gas. Make the rule that you can only charge a dollar over what the maximum price you charged for gasoline in the past two years. A scenario where all gas in Florida costs $45 a gallon today would make things much worse.

But if their cost is 40/gallon you can't cap what they charge or they just won't provide any.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:29 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

But if their cost is 40/gallon you can't cap what they charge or they just won't provide any.

I get your point. That said, you cannot justify the shop selling cases for water for $45 earlier in the week when the stock they had was bought for $2. Gas, forget that I will never understand gas pricing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:30 am 

The free market worshipers must get really horny at a time like this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:33 am 

pittmike wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I get your point. That said, you cannot justify the shop selling cases for water for $45 earlier in the week when the stock they had was bought for $2. Gas, forget that I will never understand gas pricing.

You could theoretically cap the mark-up but I think it would be impossible to enforce.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:36 am 

pizza_Place: The Invisible Slice
leashyourkids wrote:
That little weasel who charges a billion dollars for AIDS medication should be taken to a firing squad.

Exactly. Because he could have charged much more. Cannot coach with them. Cannot scale with them.

I have neither the time, or the inclination, to explain myself to a man who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very economic growth that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:37 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That is why I said you let them charge one dollar over the maximum they charged over the past two years. After the storm, if they somehow had their costs raise to $40 a gallon then that is a different story. That's highly unlikely though given how the market is set globally.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:40 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
That little weasel who charges a billion dollars for AIDS medication should be taken to a firing squad.

More for the Wu Tang album thing than anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:48 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

That prick was the one that bought it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:55 am 

Don Tiny wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

That prick was the one that bought it?

Yep, and then he feuded with Ghostface Killah.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:58 am 

RPB, get a CFMB fund going to buy that shit back. Word on the street is it's on eBay now. I'm in for $1.50

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:02 am 
100000 CLUB

leashyourkids wrote:
FF's statement is true. Some of these people live in a world that doesn't exist. I'd love it too if we could artificially suppress prices in times like these, but it's simply impossible without repercussions. Sometimes they think just because something seems humane that it MUST be possible.

I have no problem with the government paying for these things at market value and giving them to those in need, but they can't simply tell suppliers what they can and cannot charge.

The argument becomes a bit different when talking about patent laws and things like that. That little weasel who charges a billion dollars for AIDS medication should be taken to a firing squad.

Why draw the line for medication? Their research and development is the reason the drug exists. Why shouldn't they be able to set the market?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:03 am 

FavreFan wrote:
RPB, get a CFMB fund going to buy that shit back. Word on the street is it's on eBay now. I'm in for $1.50

Yea, top bid is $100,100 and hopefully whoever it is will just release it.

Credit to Rza, it was a novel idea but it backfired.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:05 am 

Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Why draw the line for medication? Their research and development is the reason the drug exists. Why shouldn't they be able to set the market?

That normally is true. In the case of the weasel or other old medicine/patent raiders not true.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:10 am 
100000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

That normally is true. In the case of the weasel or other old medicine/patent raiders not true.

Why penalize them because the government didn't make the investment?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:12 am 

Nas wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Why penalize them because the government didn't make the investment?

Not following.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:18 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:

There's a larger discussion here about what kind of society we really want to have. The reason market capitalism works is because man is greedy by nature. And that's the same reason communism has never worked and ultimately always has led down a path to dictatorship and murder. Of course, market capitalists love to point that out while ignoring the atrocities wrought by their own system, the most obvious being slavery.

The problem with centrist Democrats is that things are too good for them to really want change. Can we base a society on generosity rather than greed? It's going to be very difficult when accumulation is one of our primary values. I would suggest the first step toward a better way would be to outlaw advertising.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:21 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

There's a larger discussion here about what kind of society we really want to have. The reason market capitalism works is because man is greedy by nature. And that's the same reason communism has never worked and ultimately always has led down a path to dictatorship and murder. Of course, market capitalists love to point that out while ignoring the atrocities wrought by their own system, the most obvious being slavery.

The problem with centrist Democrats is that things are too good for them to really want change. Can we base a society on generosity rather than greed? It's going to be very difficult when accumulation is one of our primary values. I would suggest the first step toward a better way would be to outlaw advertising.

Still salty that Rick stops in cleaner restrooms than you while traveling.

To rock my soul