It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hillary Clinton
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:00 am 

long time guy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Quote:
I also have made the rather correct argument that Judaism is a religion.

Well, that isn't an argument: Judaism is the traditional religion of the Jewish people. But to say there is no shared ethnic history among the Jewish people is in not-even-wrong territory.

Ok what ethnic connection does Ivanka Trump have with Jewish people?

I can find countless others that have no "ancestral" connection to that part of the world whatsoever.

Uh oh. Ltg is about to kick most of us out of our ethnic groups.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:08 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Quote:

Well, that isn't an argument: Judaism is the traditional religion of the Jewish people. But to say there is no shared ethnic history among the Jewish people is in not-even-wrong territory.

I can find countless others that have no "ancestral" connection to that part of the world whatsoever.

MANY were never in them to begin with

https://youtu.be/-Fju4UajL7g

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:28 am 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Quote:

Your criteria really doesn't make sense. My grandparents had to flee their "ancestral home" and come to America. Does that mean my mom and me aren't also part of that ethnicity because we have no connection to it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:29 am 

So, this Middle East thing is Hillary's fault?

I could believe it. She was probably like 40 years old in 1948

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:37 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Quote:

Your criteria really doesn't make sense. My grandparents had to flee their "ancestral home" and come to America. Does that mean my mom and me aren't also part of that ethnicity because we have no connection to it?

You may need to pass the "Ogie comprehension test" before first addressing this issue.

The "Ancestral home" of MANY Jews isn't the Middle East or the land in which Israel is located. Judaism is a religion and not a nationality or ethnicity. There are millions of Jewish people that have no connection to Israel because their ancestral heritage has no connection to Israel. When Hitler committed atrocities against Jewish people he first began with German Jews. They were German not Middle Eastern. How can anyone suggest that this group is more entitled to land located in the Middle East than native Middle Easterners. Israeli laws say that they are.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:49 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
It was a while back that I had asked similar questions albeit just to satisfy my curiosity. I did not really understand why people always say they are Jewish rather than German, Polish, Russian, Israeli etc. CH replied to me that it was largely due to there only being a couple strains of Jewish types in total and mainly the ones in American actually are almost all of a certain type from Europe.

I am sure I butchered that but maybe Ch can again lay that out and it may help JLN here? The only other thing I thing he is trying to get at is converts and that makes no sense to me in this discussion.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:50 am 

Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=102576&p=2561142&hilit=jewish#p2561142

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkenazi_Jews

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:02 am 

long time guy wrote:
The "Ancestral home" of MANY Jews isn't the Middle East or the land in which Israel is located. Judaism is a religion and not a nationality or ethnicity. There are millions of Jewish people that have no connection to Israel because their ancestral heritage has no connection to Israel. When Hitler committed atrocities against Jewish people he first began with German Jews. They were German not Middle Eastern. How can anyone suggest that this group is more entitled to land located in the Middle East than native Middle Easterners. Israeli laws say that they are.
Well, no country is "entitled" to any land. They have to claim it and keep it. That's the history of the world before and after Israel was created. If we are redrawing borders based on "Who was there first" then the map changes drastically and the Jews get huge portions of land too.

The larger point though is that it is a convienient but illogical excuse to say that the Jews have no claims to the area. They have a claim as good as any since they've been there for millenniums, were forcibly removed multiple times, and have a recorded history showing their prominence in the area. You can't say "Jews weren't the majority in 1920" and act like 1920 is some magic time in history where that matters more than 1,000 years prior or 1,000 years in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:04 am 

pittmike wrote:
It was a while back that I had asked similar questions albeit just to satisfy my curiosity. I did not really understand why people always say they are Jewish rather than German, Polish, Russian, Israeli etc. CH replied to me that it was largely due to there only being a couple strains of Jewish types in total and mainly the ones in American actually are almost all of a certain type from Europe.

I am sure I butchered that but maybe Ch can again lay that out and it may help JLN here? The only other thing I thing he is trying to get at is converts and that makes no sense to me in this discussion.

Yes it does if you are questioning someone's "legitimacy" Jorr Brick and Ogie have all questioned the use of the term Palestinian. To me that makes no sense because they are still Arabs. Native born Arabs have no right to the land but Jewish people of Eastern European descent do?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:06 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Well, no country is "entitled" to any land. They have to claim it and keep it. That's the history of the world before and after Israel was created. If we are redrawing borders based on "Who was there first" then the map changes drastically and the Jews get huge portions of land too.

The larger point though is that it is a convienient but illogical excuse to say that the Jews have no claims to the area. They have a claim as good as any since they've been there for millenniums, were forcibly removed multiple times, and have a recorded history showing their prominence in the area. You can't say "Jews weren't the majority in 1920" and act like 1920 is some magic time in history where that matters more than 1,000 years prior or 1,000 years in the future.

You are spinning your wheels now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:09 am 

long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yes it does if you are questioning someone's "legitimacy" Jorr Brick and Ogie have all questioned the use of the term Palestinian. To me that makes no sense because they are still Arabs. Native born Arabs have no right to the land but Jewish people of Eastern European descent do?
From what I understand, the concept of Palestinians as anything more than a description of where people live(like Chicagoans or New Yorkers) did not happen until Israel was created as a way to have an "oppressed" people that should have their own country even though they had no desire for one prior to that since they didn't really exist. There were Palestinian Christians, Jews, and Muslims in the area. That is why it should be questioned. These same "Palestinians" had no desire to form a country prior to Israel. Doesn't that seem a little bit strange?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:10 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Jews weren't the majority for almost two thousand years, and they weren't forcibly removed. They lost wars. They weren't suddenly shipped to Europe in shipping containers.

Anyway, who cares? Two state solution.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

From what I understand, the concept of Palestinians as anything more than a description of where people live(like Chicagoans or New Yorkers) did not happen until Israel was created as a way to have an "oppressed" people that should have their own country even though they had no desire for one prior to that since they didn't really exist. There were Palestinian Christians, Jews, and Muslims in the area. That is why it should be questioned. These same "Palestinians" had no desire to form a country prior to Israel. Doesn't that seem a little bit strange?

The term Palestinians was coined during Ancient Greece. Jerusalem's major newspaper in the 1930s was called the Palestine Post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:14 am 

IMU wrote:
Jews weren't the majority for almost two thousand years, and they weren't forcibly removed. They lost wars. They weren't suddenly shipped to Europe in shipping containers.
Jews were the majority in Jerusalem in the last two thousand years and well before Israel existed.

You also want to avoid the "lost wars" part of it as Israel can point to the scoreboard of the past 150 years or so to lay claim to the area.

IMU wrote:
Anyway, who cares? Two state solution.
If you truly think a two state solution is fair why are you and others fighting so hard against the very concept of Israel? The biggest impediment to the two state solution is the fight against Israel's right to exist.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:17 am 

IMU wrote:
The term Palestinians was coined during Ancient Greece. Jerusalem's major newspaper in the 1930s was called the Palestine Post.
It was a geographical term like Chicagoan or New Yorker. If a Russian moved there he became a Palestinian too.

As you pointed out, Jerusalem, which was a majority Jewish at the time, call the paper the Palestinian Post. Do you think they were referring to what we call modern day Palestinians?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
I think The Onion described a peaceful situation the best:

http://www.theonion.com/article/norther ... in-wes-305

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Ignoring history, does Israel have a right to exist in the Middle East currently?

Make your position known!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:57 am 

Yes!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:57 am 

Yes.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:58 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:| This place need a politics section.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Will still spill out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Fitting time to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35eEljsSQfc

Damn I love Hillel Neuer. Speaking before the UN HRC is like batting practice for him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
I'm still trying to figure out if Hillary is Jewish?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:03 am 

Killer V wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out if Hillary is Jewish?

What does it matter at this point?

I kid.. I kid.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:05 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Do you navigate by section?

I use View active topics, so what section it is doesn't really make a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:06 am 

long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I question if they are a different ethnicity than the other Arabs of the levant. It's a fair question as their argument for independent statehood rests upon the acceptance that they are an independent ethnic group from the bordering Arab states. Otherwise, why not have them make their state in Jordan? Those who call themselves Palestinians make up the majority of the population in Jordan, so should Jordan not be the Palestinian State? After all, it was part of the original Palestinian Mandate until Britain turned it over to create Jordan.

I have already pointed out what the criteria is for determining if a group of people are an independent ethnicity. The Jewish people most certainly fall within that category. While one can convert to Judaism the religion, one still does not become a Jew by ethnicity. Just as one cannot convert to become Polish or French, but one can convert to become a Catholic.

Judaism can both be a religion and the Jewish people can also be an ethnic group. If you argue contrary, you are arguing against the facts of the matter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:06 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Do you navigate by section?

I use View active topics, so what section it is doesn't really make a difference.

This

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:08 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
don't jews have some common genes that cause rare diseases and stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:09 am 

IMU wrote:

Thank you for making my point. The "Palestine Post" was a Jewish run newspaper. Why was it called the Palestine Post? Because before 1948 there was no such thing as a Palestinian person. Someone who called himself a Palestinian would've been a Jew living in Israel. The Arabs were simply called the Arabs as they were not a distinct and separate people from the other Arabs in the region. They had no separate ethnicity.

That paper you refer to changed its name in the 40s... it became and still prints as, The Jerusalem Post. Heck, their managing editor is a former Chicagoan.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:10 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
don't jews have some common genes that cause rare diseases and stuff?

Tay-Sachs. I think, but concentrated in Eastern European Jews.

Edited again to say Ashkenazic Jews.

Last edited by Drunk Squirrel on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next