It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hillary Clinton
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
His ideas being un-workable is more because the system is broken and the power is concentrated among the wealthy (who are not looking to give up any thing), not because they literally couldnt work.
Well, of course any of them could literally work. We could tax every person at 90% and do them all. The problem was that his solution was not to different than "We'll make Mexico pay for it" but was instead "We'll make the super rich pay for it".

Don't you think that actually is pretty common on the left?

No that's the Limbaugh view of the left so they can avoid the real issue of corporate welfare.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:07 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Closing the income gap via progressive taxes at the top.
Except that isn't what would happen.

rogers park bryan wrote:
Free community college, btw. And affordable child care, not free child care.
I asked you to prove these things during the campaign and you never did. You don't have to rewrite what Bernie was actually saying. I posted direct quotes from his campaign website and you just ignored it.

Free community college was an Obama thing. It wasn't Bernie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
veganfan21 wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
His ideas being un-workable is more because the system is broken and the power is concentrated among the wealthy (who are not looking to give up any thing), not because they literally couldnt work.
Well, of course any of them could literally work. We could tax every person at 90% and do them all. The problem was that his solution was not to different than "We'll make Mexico pay for it" but was instead "We'll make the super rich pay for it".

Don't you think that actually is pretty common on the left?

No that's the Limbaugh view of the left so they can avoid the real issue of corporate welfare.

I haven't taken in Limbaugh in a long time but I am pretty sure the 1% argument isn't just corporate wealth related.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:08 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
That's true but guys like Bernie make it easy and somewhat plausible for them to spin it that way.

If we had a Bernie Sanders as President, and 60 Bernie Sanders clones in Congress, what do you think would happen?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:12 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
That's true but guys like Bernie make it easy and somewhat plausible for them to spin it that way.

If we had a Bernie Sanders as President, and 60 Bernie Sanders clones in Congress, what do you think would happen?

I just don't think "making the rich pay for it" is the official slogan of any serious candidate. To me it's always been about "paying your fair share of taxes" which is somehow interpreted as "make the hard workers pay for lazy welfare queens."

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:14 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I posted this in another thread but I don't know if anyone watched it. Great discussion of income inequality at 1:45:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G59zsjM2UI&t=6553s

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:15 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

What would happen? Do other countries with progressive taxes have the large income gap like we do?
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I asked you to prove these things during the campaign and you never did. You don't have to rewrite what Bernie was actually saying. I posted direct quotes from his campaign website and you just ignored it.

I was wrong on community college. I mistook public for community. My mistake.

I didnt ignore it. It went down exactly as this is. I was wrong on college you were and/are wrong on "free" child care

Directly from his website...

Affordable Child Care: Good child care is essential and far too costly. Every working family should have access to good, affordable child care.

If Bernie is so bad you shouldnt need to change things he said to make it sound worse.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:32 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

What would happen? Do other countries with progressive taxes have the large income gap like we do?
Many European countries have marginally better income inequality than us, though one of the reasons for our income inequality is our massive tech sector.

What I mean is that he isn't doing everything he wants by simply adding progressive taxes at the top.
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I didnt ignore it. It went down exactly as this is. I was wrong on college you were and/are wrong on "free" child care

Affordable Child Care: Good child care is essential and far too costly. Every working family should have access to good, affordable child care.

If Bernie is so bad you shouldnt need to change things he said to make it sound worse.
It would be free for a large majority of the people who would use it. His proposal was basically to treat it like an extension of school.

Quote:
In 2011, Bernie introduced the Foundations for Success Act, which would have awarded a grant to ten states allowing them to create an Early Care and Education System. The bill, had it passed, would do the following:

“(A) provide all State residents with the opportunity to enroll children, ages 6 weeks to kindergarten, in an early care and education program on a full time basis;

(B) provide access to an early care and education program that gives each child an opportunity to develop physical, social, and emotional skills; and

(C) improve school readiness by contributing to the cognitive development, character skills, and physical development of each child.”

You can't accomplish this without making it free for many if not most.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:33 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I posted this in another thread but I don't know if anyone watched it. Great discussion of income inequality at 1:45:

That is pretty long but first minute seems good enough for me to bookmark it for later.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:34 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Many European countries have marginally better income inequality than us, though one of the reasons for our income inequality is our massive tech sector.

What I mean is that he isn't doing everything he wants by simply adding progressive taxes at the top.
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

It would be free for a large majority of the people who would use it. His proposal was basically to treat it like an extension of school.

Quote:
In 2011, Bernie introduced the Foundations for Success Act, which would have awarded a grant to ten states allowing them to create an Early Care and Education System. The bill, had it passed, would do the following:

“(A) provide all State residents with the opportunity to enroll children, ages 6 weeks to kindergarten, in an early care and education program on a full time basis;

(B) provide access to an early care and education program that gives each child an opportunity to develop physical, social, and emotional skills; and

(C) improve school readiness by contributing to the cognitive development, character skills, and physical development of each child.”

You can't accomplish this without making it free for many if not most.

Many is not "ALL"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:36 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Sure, innovation drives inequality. It's no different than it was in the original Gilded Age. But when MANY people feel as if they are part of a permanent underclass you get instability like we have right now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:45 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Many is not "ALL"
Who said free to all? So, if Bernie offered free child care to everyone but Bill Gates and Warren Buffett would it no longer be free? :lol:

I predict this hypothetical free child care would have been free to a majority of users. What else would it be? The government setting up child care centers to run with the money they charge? This is the major problem with Sanders. You can't even give anything but the most generic of plans on how it would work. You don't even seem to be able to speculate on who would pay.

I mean, of course "affordable child care" sounds great. "High paying jobs and low crime" sounds great when Trump says it too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:51 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Many is not "ALL"
Who said free to all?

You, in this thread

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
He had virtually no accomplishments as a legislator and this was a chance to have a legacy. He didn't want to win. Could you imagine what kind of political nightmare it would be to try and say how you will pay for free childcare for everyone? I mean, it seems like most people here don't even want to give a new father more than 2 weeks at home with the kids before they should toughen up and get back to work so the corporation they work for doesn't suffer and yet we were going to raise taxes enough to provide day care to every parent?

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I mean, of course "affordable child care" sounds great. "High paying jobs and low crime" sounds great when Trump says it too.

I feel like with your thoughts on politics, you do a lot of throwing your hands up when things aren't easy or conventional.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:54 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Many is not "ALL"
Who said free to all? So, if Bernie offered free child care to everyone but Bill Gates and Warren Buffett would it no longer be free? :lol:

I predict this hypothetical free child care would have been free to a majority of users. What else would it be? The government setting up child care centers to run with the money they charge? This is the major problem with Sanders. You can't even give anything but the most generic of plans on how it would work. You don't even seem to be able to speculate on who would pay.

I always assumed the liberal idea of affordable child care for all was to basically expand the public school system to take your kid for you as soon as your 12 weeks of maternity/paternity ended. They would feed and educate your child as you work. They already provide breakfast and early start programs in the mornings for poor kids don't they?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:56 am 

pittmike wrote:

I always assumed the liberal idea of affordable child care for all was to basically expand the public school system to take your kid for you as soon as your 12 weeks of maternity/paternity ended. They would feed and educate your child as you work. They already provide breakfast and early start programs in the mornings for poor kids don't they?

What do you think of those programs?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
pittmike wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

That is pretty long but first minute seems good enough for me to bookmark it for later.

jordan peterson kills it on a daily basis.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:00 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:

As a quick response I would say poor kids do better with full stomachs. I also would like if they could accomplish that at home.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:02 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Many is not "ALL"
Who said free to all?

You, in this thread

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
He had virtually no accomplishments as a legislator and this was a chance to have a legacy. He didn't want to win. Could you imagine what kind of political nightmare it would be to try and say how you will pay for free childcare for everyone? I mean, it seems like most people here don't even want to give a new father more than 2 weeks at home with the kids before they should toughen up and get back to work so the corporation they work for doesn't suffer and yet we were going to raise taxes enough to provide day care to every parent?
:lol: You know what I meant. I was referring to Bernie saying that everyone should have access to this.

But still, you ignored the idea that he has never even said how it would be accomplished. What is the cutoff for free child care? That is the problem with your attempt at a "gotcha". I could very well be right that every person would get free child care. The quote I did certainly indicates that. The fact that he threw "affordable" in which free is pretty "affordable" doesn't change that. If it was "free child care" for those making less than $40k I'm pretty sure that would have been there.
rogers park bryan wrote:
I feel like with your thoughts on politics, you do a lot of throwing your hands up when things aren't easy or conventional.
You've said this a few times. It is not my responsibility to blindly buy into political ideas that sound good that can't be explained by more than generic promises. Don't get me wrong. Bernie's utopia sounds awesome. Who would be against the positives of it? That doesn't mean that we should ignore the major lack of explanation and just say "BERNIE, HELL YEA!".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:04 am 

pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:

As a quick response I would say poor kids do better with full stomachs. I also would like if they could accomplish that at home.

Pretty reasonable.

Here's another one for your bookmarks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_FszonQ6Zs

I agree with Adam there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:08 am 

pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Pretty Hillary-esque perspective. You've come full circle with her!

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:08 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Many is not "ALL"
Who said free to all?

You, in this thread

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You know what I meant.

You should just say what you mean, especially in this case.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That is the problem with your attempt at a "gotcha". I could very well be right that every person would get free child care.

You're not though. We're speaking specifically on what he said during the campaign. He used the word Free a lot, never for child care though.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
You've said this a few times. It is not my responsibility to blindly buy into political ideas that sound good that can't be explained by more than generic promises. Don't get me wrong. Bernie's utopia sounds awesome. Who would be against the positives of it? That doesn't mean that we should ignore the major lack of explanation and just say "BERNIE, HELL YEA!".

I guess it's the difference between "No way that can work" and "how can we make that (or something close to it) work"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:19 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
You're not though. We're speaking specifically on what he said during the campaign. He used the word Free a lot, never for child care though.
He uses affordable in other things that are also "free" though. Here at the 2 min mark for instance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35SGZ5aR6tc

His vagueness is not my problem.
rogers park bryan wrote:
I guess it's the difference between "No way that can work" and "how can we make that (or something close to it) work"

It is the responsibility of the person proposing it to do that. There are millions of political ideas. Why should these ideas be treated differently?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Bernie is God. It doesn't matter if his ideas would work. I just wanted to see him yell for four years.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:23 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
He uses affordable in other things that are also "free" though. Here at the 2 min mark for instance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35SGZ5aR6tc

It's not vague. It's one word vs. the other. Many mentions of free on Bernie's campaign page. Not on child care. You should just say affordable instead of free and you'll be correct.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

It is the responsibility of the person proposing it to do that. There are millions of political ideas. Why should these ideas be treated differently?

Because the goal of closing the income gap is an important one?

Guy 1: The poor are stealing your money, youd be rich without them

Guy 2: There is too much money concentrated at the top, we need to fix that

Im going to see about working on Guy 2's thing first.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:36 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
It's not vague. It's one word vs. the other. Many mentions of free on Bernie's campaign page. Not on child care. You should just say affordable instead of free and you'll be correct.
You are really arguing semantics here. Many will get free child care and everyone would have access to it. There is no known dividing line and there isn't really even a mention of the difference.

The major reason I call it "free" is because he is basing the whole thing on basically being an expansion of Kindergarten with highly trained teachers doing it. I think it's reasonable to expect that if it was done that way that we aren't charging anyone for that just like we don't charge for public school. Now, if he had ever answered where that dividing line is I would stop immediately. We'll never know for certain but that is because of his vagueness on the specific part of this.
rogers park bryan wrote:
Because the goal of closing the income gap is an important one?

Guy 1: The poor are stealing your money, youd be rich without them

Guy 2: There is too much money concentrated at the top, we need to fix that

Im going to see about working on Guy 2's thing first.
It's an important goal. That doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve the same level of scrutiny as any other plan. Ultimately, what you are saying is "It sounds so good that we should ignore any downside to it".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:49 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It's an important goal. That doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve the same level of scrutiny as any other plan. Ultimately, what you are saying is "It sounds so good that we should ignore any downside to it".

Absolutely not what Im saying and ridiculous to suggest that.

"how can we make that (or something close to it) work"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:57 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'm referencing this: "I feel like with your thoughts on politics, you do a lot of throwing your hands up when things aren't easy or conventional."

I don't think it is my job, or even your job, to try and change or "make work" the plans of a politician that was running a Presidential campaign on them.

I've said many times Bernie has some good ideas. They just got lost in the noise of all his other stuff that made his credibility on just about everything questionable. I mean, you can't even find a solid answer on what is the difference between "affordable" and "free" in terms of his policies because it wasn't explained who would actually be paying for child care.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:00 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'm referencing this: "I feel like with your thoughts on politics, you do a lot of throwing your hands up when things aren't easy or conventional."

I don't think it is my job, or even your job, to try and change or "make work" the plans of a politician that was running a Presidential campaign on them.

Imo, it's all of our jobs as Americans to try and make things better.
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I've said many times Bernie has some good ideas. They just got lost in the noise of all his other stuff that made his credibility on just about everything questionable.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:04 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Many is not "ALL"

Bernie's strategy was to appeal to the needs of the socialist movement in order to progress his communist agenda. He and many others prey on the issues that divide us as a nation and use these issues as platforms to gain support for their ultimate goal of a communist country.

Like Bernie, the left has no real plans or message to their supporters, except for impeach Trump, Trump is bad, Russia, Russia... exc.
They love that Trump is in office, because it feeds more hate and makes their cause stronger that change is needed and they are the ones to do it. Forget the constitution, we know what is best for you. And that is a dangerous path to go down.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:09 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Imo, it's all of our jobs as Americans to try and make things better.
Of course it is.

If Bernie had even just chosen three main goals(raise minimum wage, regulate/break up/future proof Wall Street, expand healthcare options) then he probably wins against Hillary and maybe beats Trump. We then actually see some results instead of facebook quotes from his campaign.

The problem is that most people when it really comes down to it don't want the government controlling their lives, and virtually every campaign point he made was intended to do that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next