It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UC Berkeley
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
More fighting and riots at Berkeley after the ironically named Antifa attacked people inside an "Empathy Tent." Whatever the hell that is.

We have the nutjob president demanding people be fired for protesting and left-wing nutjobs physically attacking people for speaking their mind. Free speech is being attacked from all sides.

Post subject: Re: UC Berkeley
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
SuperMario wrote:
More fighting and riots at Berkeley after the ironically named Antifa attacked people inside an "Empathy Tent." Whatever the hell that is.

We have the nutjob president demanding people be fired for protesting and left-wing nutjobs physically attacking people for speaking their mind. Free speech is being attacked from all sides.

I'm just waiting for one of the antifa mobs to attack someone who has a CCW. I will laugh at the results.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
There is some sort of Facebook group of mothers in my little village. apparently somebody posted that there was a house with a confederate flag in the window. so the group got all worked up went over there to put a stop to that. they drove over only to find out it was a Union Jack.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Hatchetman wrote:
There is some sort of Facebook group of mothers in my little village. apparently somebody posted that there was a house with a confederate flag in the window. so the group got all worked up went over there to put a stop to that. they drove over only to find out it was a Union Jack.

:lol: Awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:

Ogie, will you please explain to this man that a "jack" is a flag that is flown from a ship? Please use the proper terminology.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:13 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

I'm just waiting for one of the antifa mobs to attack someone who has a CCW. I will laugh at the results.

Surprised it hasn't happened already.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Ogie, will you please explain to this man that a "jack" is a flag that is flown from a ship? Please use the proper terminology.

generally a "jack" is a flag flown from a ship, however the "union jack" is simply a name for the UK's national flag.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

generally a "jack" is a flag flown from a ship, however the "union jack" is simply a name for the UK's national flag.

Sure, that flag has come to be called the "Union Jack" in the vernacular, but I think the fact that "jack" is used in this way is really nothing more than a testament to the power the British Navy had over the high seas.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Dude, they ran off Ben Shapiro. BEN SHAPIRO. Has anyone ever listened to Ben Shapiro?
I disagree with a lot of what he says, and I'd like to rearrange his smarmy face sometimes, but he is unquestionably logical and sound in his beliefs - an incredibly intelligent person. There is nothing about him that should be offensive to anyone (except his smarmy face).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
The terms Union Jack and Union Flag are both historically correct for describing the de facto national flag of the United Kingdom. Whether the term Union Jack applies only when used as a jack flag on a ship is a modern matter of debate.[9]

According to the Parliament of the United Kingdom:[10][11] "Until the early 17th century England and Scotland were two entirely independent kingdoms. This changed dramatically in 1603 on the death of Elizabeth I of England. Because the Queen died unmarried and childless, the English crown passed to the next available heir, her cousin James VI, King of Scotland. England and Scotland now shared the same monarch under what was known as a union of the crowns.

In 1606, James VI gave orders for a British flag to be created which bore the combined crosses of St. George and of St. Andrew. The result was the Union Jack, Jack being a shortening of Jacobus, the Latin version of James".

According to the Flag Institute, a membership-run vexillological charity,[12] "the national flag of the United Kingdom, the Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories is the Union Flag, which may also be called the Union Jack."[13] The institute also notes:

it is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. In 1908, a government minister stated, in response to a parliamentary question, that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag".[9][14]

Notwithstanding Their Lordships' circular of 1902, by 1913 the Admiralty described the "Union Flag" and added in a foot note that 'A Jack is a Flag to be flown only on the "Jack" Staff'.[15]

However, the authoritative A Complete Guide to Heraldry published in 1909 by Arthur Charles Fox-Davies uses the term "Union Jack".[16]

The term "Union Flag" is used in King Charles I's 1634 proclamation:

... none of Our Subjects, of any of Our Nations and Kingdoms shall from henceforth presume to carry the Union Flag in the Main top, or other part of any of their Ships (that is) St Georges cross and St Andrew's Cross joined together upon pain of Our high displeasure, but that the same Union Flag be still reserved as an ornament proper for Our own Ships and Ships in our immediate Service and Pay, and none other."[17]

— Proclamation appointing the Flag, as well for Our Navy Royal as for the Ships of Our Subjects of South and North Britain – 5 May 1634
and in King George III's proclamation of 1 January 1801 concerning the arms and flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland:

And that the Union Flag shall be Azure, the Crosses Saltires of St. Andrew and St. Patrick Quarterly per Saltire, counterchanged Argent and Gules; the latter fimbriated of the Second, surmounted by the Cross of St. George of the Third, fimbriated as the Saltire : ...[18]

— A Proclamation Declaring His Majesty's Pleasure concerning the Royal Style and Titles appertaining to the Imperial Crown of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and its Dependencies, and also the Ensigns, Armorial Flags, and Banners thereof"
When the first flag representing Britain was introduced on the proclamation of King James I in 1606,[19] it became known simply as the "British flag" or the "flag of Britain". The royal proclamation gave no distinctive name to the new flag. The word "jack" was in use before 1600 to describe the maritime bow flag.[9] By 1627 a small Union Jack was commonly flown in this position. One theory goes that for some years it would have been called just the "Jack", or "Jack flag", or the "King's Jack", but by 1674, while formally referred to as "His Majesty's Jack", it was commonly called the "Union Jack", and this was officially acknowledged.[8]

Development of the Union Jack.
Development of the Union Jack.
Amongst the proclamations issued by King George III at the time of the Union of 1801 was a proclamation concerning flags at sea, which repeatedly referred to "Ensigns, Flags, Jacks, and Pendants" and forbade merchant vessels from wearing "Our Jack, commonly called the Union Jack" nor any pendants or colours used by the King's ships.[20] Reinforcing the distinction the King's proclamation of the same day concerning the arms and flag of the United Kingdom (not colours at sea) called the new flag "the Union Flag".[21]

The size and power of the Royal Navy internationally at the time could also explain why the flag was named the "Union Jack"; considering the navy was so widely utilised and renowned by the United Kingdom and colonies, it is possible that the term jack occurred because of its regular use on all British ships using the jack staff (a flag pole attached to the bow of a ship). The term Union Jack possibly dates from Queen Anne's time (r. 1702–14), but its origin is uncertain. It may come from the 'jack-et' of the English or Scottish soldiers, or from the name of James I who originated the first union in 1603. Even if the term "Union Jack" does derive from the jack flag, after three centuries, it is now sanctioned by use and has appeared in official use, confirmed as the national flag by Parliament and remains the popular term.[22]

Winston Churchill was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and he referred to the flag of the United Kingdom as the Union Jack. In March 1899 Churchill wrote to his mother from India about her plans to produce a new trans-Atlantic magazine, to be called The Anglo-Saxon Review. The drawing at the end of this letter was deliberately mischievous, teasing her for going down-market, and in the accompanying letter he wrote, "Your title 'The Anglo Saxon' with its motto 'Blood is thicker than water' only needs the Union Jack & the Star Spangled Banner crossed on the cover to be suited to one of Harmsworth’s [a leading British newspaper owner] cheap Imperialist productions."[23][relevant? – discuss]

More recently, Reed's Nautical Almanac (1990 edition) unambiguously states: "The Union Flag, frequently but incorrectly referred to as the Union Jack, ..." and later: "8. The Jack – A small flag worn on a jackstaff on the stem of Naval Vessels. The Royal Navy wears the Union Flag ... This is the only occasion when it correct to describe the flag as the Union Jack".[24] However, this assertion does not appear in any Reed's Nautical Almanac since 1993. In the 2016 Reeds Nautical Almanac the only entry where this might appear, section 5.21, covering Flag Etiquette, does not include this statement. Within the Almanac, neither the Union Flag or the Union Jack are included pictorially or mentioned by name.

For comparison with another anglophone country with a large navy: the Jack of the United States specifically refers to the flag flown from the jackstaff of a warship, auxiliary or other U.S. governmental entity.[25]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Dude, they ran off Ben Shapiro. BEN SHAPIRO. Has anyone ever listened to Ben Shapiro?
I disagree with a lot of what he says, and I'd like to rearrange his smarmy face sometimes, but he is unquestionably logical and sound in his beliefs - an incredibly intelligent person. There is nothing about him that should be offensive to anyone (except his smarmy face).

Yeah, the idea that Shapiro is a Nazi is beyond ridiculous. They probably hate him because he made Cenk look like the moron he is.

And how does Cenk get Ana Kasparian to co-host a show called "The Young Turks". That would be like getting Sarah Silverman to host a show called "The SS Troops".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Big Chicagoan wrote:
[i]The terms Union Jack and Union Flag are both historically correct for describing the de facto national flag of the United Kingdom. Whether the term Union Jack applies only when used as a jack flag on a ship is a modern matter of debate.[9]

That's what we're here for!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
leashyourkids wrote:

I thought you meant Ben Stein.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Another Jew who controls international banking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:55 pm 

pittmike wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Big conservative. That's also where Jimmy Kimmel got his start on Win Ben Stein's Money. And now Kimmel is leading the charge against Trumpcare. Wonder if they still talk.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:59 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Yeah, the idea that Shapiro is a Nazi is beyond ridiculous.

Considering he wears a Kippah 100% of the time, I agree. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:04 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
leashyourkids wrote:

Ben Shapiro is 5'4''

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:05 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Ben Shapiro is 5'4''

... and a half :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
pittmike wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

another Jew who is also a Nazi. totally logical.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Ben Shapiro is 5'4''

Good enough reason to be offended by him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bfyS-S-IJs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Ben Shapiro? You mean JLN?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:16 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Sure, that flag has come to be called the "Union Jack" in the vernacular, but I think the fact that "jack" is used in this way is really nothing more than a testament to the power the British Navy had over the high seas.

Well, ahoy, pololoi!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/letters/2 ... n-shapiro/

By Ian Decker | The Public Forum
·
1 day ago

We have no shame in saying that we intend to shut down Ben Shapiro. This is not a decision we came to based on youthful emotions, or out of some desire for the world to be “one big safe space.” This decision was arrived at based on a real, material understanding of the political environment of Utah, and the material effects of an emboldened far right.

As an example; Utah is already a state with a homelessness and suicide crisis amongst LGBTQ youth. Ben Shapiro has openly called transgender people mentally ill. He portrays the gay rights movement as a conspiracy to “root out god-based institutions.” He has recently defended conversion therapy, which is nothing short of abuse.

These are all positions he has stated in naked terms in articles he has written himself. To pretend that Shapiro does not spew racist and transphobic pseudoscience with the desire to justify and encourage violence is idealistic, ahistorical and wrong.

We intend on shutting down Ben Shapiro precisely because we don’t live in a fantasy world where hate speech has no consequences.

We believe his hate speech can and will have material consequences for vulnerable people. This will not be a violent protest, but we intend to exercise our free speech in the boldest and most unapologetic way we can, even if Shapiro, his fans, and the University police would have it otherwise.

Ian Decker
Students for a Democratic Society at the University of Utah
Black Lives Matter - Salt Lake City
University of Utah Movimiento Estudiantil Chicanx de Aztlán

"Students for a Democratic Society." OK.

Peaceful protest? Sure. Not a problem.

Prevent people from speaking? Don't be surprised when that comes back to bite you in the ass.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:19 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Ben Shapiro? You mean JLN?

Or Bernstein.

But only because he is short and Jewish.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:20 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ben Shapiro is not alt-right, so he has that going for him. What he doesn't have going for him is his novel, True Allegiance, which, uh, reads like conservative literotica:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:25 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/letters/2017/09/26/letter-why-we-intend-to-shut-down-ben-shapiro/

·
1 day ago

We have no shame in saying that we intend to shut down Ben Shapiro. This is not a decision we came to based on youthful emotions, or out of some desire for the world to be “one big safe space.” This decision was arrived at based on a real, material understanding of the political environment of Utah, and the material effects of an emboldened far right.

As an example; Utah is already a state with a homelessness and suicide crisis amongst LGBTQ youth. Ben Shapiro has openly called transgender people mentally ill. He portrays the gay rights movement as a conspiracy to “root out god-based institutions.” He has recently defended conversion therapy, which is nothing short of abuse.

These are all positions he has stated in naked terms in articles he has written himself. To pretend that Shapiro does not spew racist and transphobic pseudoscience with the desire to justify and encourage violence is idealistic, ahistorical and wrong.

We intend on shutting down Ben Shapiro precisely because we don’t live in a fantasy world where hate speech has no consequences.

We believe his hate speech can and will have material consequences for vulnerable people. This will not be a violent protest, but we intend to exercise our free speech in the boldest and most unapologetic way we can, even if Shapiro, his fans, and the University police would have it otherwise.

Ian Decker

Prevent people from speaking? Don't be surprised when that comes back to bite you in the ass.

"This is not a decision we came to based on youthful emotions, or out of some desire for the world to be “one big safe space.”

In other words, Utah is our safe space and we don't want you anywhere near there. Got it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Curious Hair wrote:
Ben Shapiro is not alt-right, so he has that going for him. What he doesn't have going for him is his novel, True Allegiance, which, uh, reads like conservative literotica:

Last edited by Jbi11s on Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:27 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/letters/2017/09/26/letter-why-we-intend-to-shut-down-ben-shapiro/

·
1 day ago

We have no shame in saying that we intend to DEBATE AND REBUKE Ben Shapiro'S POSITIONS. This is not a decision we came to based on youthful emotions, or out of some desire for the world to be “one big safe space.” This decision was arrived at based on a real, material understanding of the political environment of Utah, and the material effects of an emboldened far right.

We intend on USING FACTS AND REASON TO SHOW Ben Shapiro we don’t live in a fantasy world where hate speech has no OPPONENT.

Ian Decker

FIXED

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:33 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

Flying the flag of our oppressors? Not cool.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Frank's Pizzeria
Curious Hair wrote:

But did this alt-Right Hawthorne shitheel have a barrel chest?