It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: USMNT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
The game still isn't affordable to enough people. It can't just be a game of the upper middle class.

I'd say in most of the country this is true, but it is affordable to more people if you live in an area with natural occurring ice that stays through much of winter. A lot of kids will get the bulk of their play in pond hockey or on outdoor rinks, which don't have the icetime costs of an indoor one. Also, you can play with less equipment outside if you're not checking. Basically you just need gloves, skates, and a stick (helmet still suggested though)

Heck, I usually take advantage of the outdoor ice just because the timing is far more flexible than waiting for a stick & puck or open hockey that isn't always scheduled conveniently for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:54 am 

conns7901 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I really don't care about soccer so I'm indifferent on what course of action they take, but they really should be speaking with folks at USA Hockey in order to ask how to build a youth development program that can then be put into place at every local field affiliated with them.

Just look at what USA Hockey has done over the last 20 years. There's a reason so many of the top players coming into the league each year are American born vs. what it was in the 90s when I was a kid. They've even built on that success with the American Development Model, a program so successful that Hockey Canada is looking to copy it this year for their youth.

I use hockey as the example as it's a sport not necessarily seen as one that the US dominates in, but youth development is changing that. I would wager that the generation that grows up watching Kane and Matthews will produce players who regularly beat Canada in the Olympics. We are seeing hints as this coming as we are starting to regularly beat them at the WJC.

Hockey is only played by people who can afford the 10k to 20k it cost a year at the "elite" level. It is also taken seriously in maybe 10 countries in the entire world.

it's still a sport where the US program was largely seen as a joke until recent years. Even 1980 didn't change that. That may have sparked interest, but ultimately it has been youth development that has changed USA Hockey. It is no accident that the 3 young 1st/2nd forwards on the Hawks are all US born.

You are still competing against only a few countries in which Hockey is a priority sport. Hockey has grown, but is still played by a relatively small amount of kids. Much smaller than soccer.

I agree it's a smaller number of kids involved, but it still presents a good example of how a youth development model can be developed and applied locally.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:54 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
How many kids are playing serious pond hockey? We didn't even have winter this year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:58 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
How many kids are playing serious pond hockey? We didn't even have winter this year.

It's a regional thing. You probably don't see it in Illinois, but in the Upper Midwest and the Northeast, it's going strong.

We have several outdoor rinks where I live and they are always in use with kids and adults.

I'd argue from reading stuff about Toews growing up that he probably did most of his pre-teen development practicing on the outdoor rink that his dad made for him in the backyard.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:06 am 

I was thinking about this as I saw Purdue's women's soccer team is in the B1G Tournament, but what role has Title IX played in killing men's soccer? Purdue and many other schools once offered it but killed the men's program in order to become Title IX compliant. I'd imagine that the lack of scholarships has probably deterred some athletes from pursuing the sport.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:40 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I was thinking about this as I saw Purdue's women's soccer team is in the B1G Tournament, but what role has Title IX played in killing men's soccer? Purdue and many other schools once offered it but killed the men's program in order to become Title IX compliant. I'd imagine that the lack of scholarships has probably deterred some athletes from pursuing the sport.

The men's national soccer team would be better off if college soccer was abolished and every MLS club had an academy that cut out the travel ball middle men.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:30 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
its a cost thing sure but once you get into any serious level of travel hockey, soccer, baseball, the costs are ridiculous for everything i have to imagine its negligible.

Hockey is just regional due to its field conditions. you need a slab of ice because roller hockey just isn't cool. which is obviously recreatable indoors but thats not practical for cities to pay for.

we have dek hockey here in the quad cities that has a pretty huge following.