It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Modern GOP
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Thanks for normalizing this shit...

http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/judg ... stians/amp

He is up 10-12% in just about every polling average right now and will soon become a US Senator.

Post subject: Re: The Modern GOP
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:52 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

He is up 10-12% in just about every polling average right now and will soon become a US Senator.

Yeah, but Hillary...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Jesus.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:53 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Yeah, but Hillary...

Honestly, McCain can't croak soon enough. That warmongering piece of shit got the ball rolling when he nominated Palin.

Who knew that the Republican party would morph into an extremist party via nominating a moderate in McCain.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:02 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Jesus.

Nope, sorry Jews get no protection.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
That's.... I got nothing. Its a level of stupidity that I'm unable to even mock.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
He must have missed Washington's letter to the Jews of Newport:

http://www.tourosynagogue.org/history-learning/gw-letter

and Jefferson's Virginia Statute of Religious Freedom (which was shepherded through the VA legislature by Madison, I believe).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
I've never understood how we as a country can claim separation of church and state when our pledge states "under God" and every government affair begins with a prayer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:38 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Yeah, but Hillary...

Honestly, McCain can't croak soon enough. That warmongering piece of shit got the ball rolling when he nominated Palin.

Who knew that the Republican party would morph into an extremist party via nominating a moderate in McCain.

I'm sorry, but that started decades earlier with his Arizona hero, Barry Goldwater & then Nixon's Southern Strategy. I've heard a number of progressives lately state as you did & it's driving me nuts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
Killer V wrote:
I've never understood how we as a country can claim separation of church and state when our pledge states "under God" and every government affair begins with a prayer.

The "under God" was only added in the 1950s. The rest, dunno.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Not all Republicans.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Regular Reader wrote:

I'm sorry, but that started decades earlier with his Arizona hero, Barry Goldwater & then Nixon's Southern Strategy. I've heard a number of progressives lately state as you did & it's driving me nuts.

Goldwater was sort of against the religious nuts, though, wasn't he?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:56 pm 

Yeah, the 1950s GOP was better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
as a Christian who is fiscally conservative, socially centrist, this is the exact reason i distanced myself from the GOP.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:01 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Yeah, the 1950s GOP was better.

it actually was, they had a POTUS who actively warned us about the Military Industrial Complex, which now sadly influences both parties.

If you have 15 minutes to spare, give this a watch. I'm sure many here have already seen it, but it is good to re-watch periodically. We ignored his warnings and for that we absolutely deserve whatever results from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWiIYW_fBfY

Especially sad from 8:00 to 9:00 as we as citizens failed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Killer V wrote:

I haven't read all the Federalist Papers and such. It is my opinion that the separation of church and state was really meant to avoid the government picking one branch of Christianity over another. I have studied British History extensively and am currently on 17th Century Britain and their civil war, and it amazing the fights between different (Christian) religious factions. As such, the Founders wanted religion to be part of the nation while allowing for relatively equal weight among the various denominations.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
The Modern GOP

Coming to Fox this fall, after Bob's Burgers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
God is not a church or a religion. He's a big white guy with a beard up above the clouds. What is so hard to understand about that?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:42 pm 

tommy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Goldwater was sort of against the religious nuts, though, wasn't he?

Yes iirc, and later in life he remarked that (as for gays in the military) all he cared about was if they could shoot straight as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: John's

Dude was a prophet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
is that Joe Maddon ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
No reason to get mad at Roy Moore's triumph in the marketplace of ideas. I salute his ability to present a desirable product to the voters of Alabama and it seems to me most of the rage directed at him comes from those who are either simply elitists or inferior political entrepreneurs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:54 pm 

"Questioning a 4 Star General is highly inappropriate"

Stealing North Korea's bits.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:02 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
No reason to get mad at Roy Moore's triumph in the marketplace of ideas. I salute his ability to present a desirable product to the voters of Alabama and it seems to me most of the rage directed at him comes from those who are either simply elitists or inferior political entrepreneurs.

Seems to me this is their issue. I never understood why a bunch of guys in Chicago care about a single senator from Alabama. The guy in his trailer with the confederate flag does not care about Dick Durbin.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:08 pm 

pittmike wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Seems to me this is their issue. I never understood why a bunch of guys in Chicago care about a single senator from Alabama. The guy in his trailer with the confederate flag does not care about Dick Durbin.

I guess it is because it is a symbol of where the modern party is drifting. Roy Moore's are becoming the norm for nominees rather than the exception. Just look at the most recent GOP Presidential primary. The party's primary voters are fucking Fox News/Breitbart bots who have shed their critical thinking skills and are unwilling to accept provable facts.

While yes it started at the Southern Strategy, I would argue that conserative media really led to this shift. Conservative media was born from a legitimate problem of a real liberal bias in the mainstream media, but its purpose shifted to a point far beyond what it was intended to do. I guess what I'm saying is conservative media needs more Ben Shapiros. People who are ideologically conservative, but still willing to look at facts and call out their own when they are very much in the wrong. Instead it is a bunch of Sean Hannity's who probably get their monologues sent to them by Steve Bannon via e-mail.

Conservative media today has largely become an echo chamber where admitting your party is wrong on something means you are a "RINO"

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:11 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I guess it is because it is a symbol of where the modern party is drifting. Roy Moore's are becoming the norm for nominees rather than the exception. Just look at the most recent GOP Presidential primary. The party's primary voters are fucking Fox News/Breitbart bots who have shed their critical thinking skills and are unwilling to accept provable facts.

There will always be a few odd balls on either side in Washington. Senators and reps rarely make real problems. Perhaps 10 years from now that will be different. For now, meh. what has Cruz done really?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

That single senator becomes 1/100th of 1/2 of the governing bodies of the United States.

He's important.

And you better believe Dixie Don cares about baby-killer Dick Durbin.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:13 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

There will always be a few odd balls on either side in Washington. Senators and reps rarely make real problems. Perhaps 10 years from now that will be different. For now, meh. what has Cruz done really?

I always expect odd balls in the House as House districts are for the most part gerrymandered to protect incumbents so you can be a loon and keep winning. The Senate is supposed to be a different story where even if a state has a large right or leftward tilt, the overall electorate is large enough to swing the state to the other party in the event of a bad candidate or to punish party in a wave election year. See how even blue Illinois can elect a Republican governor or Senator once in a while as an example of this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Hatchetman wrote:
God is not a church or a religion. He's a big white guy with a beard up above the clouds. What is so hard to understand about that?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Hatchetman wrote: