It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:32 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1205 ... udio-rule/

Quote:
The FCC has voted 3-2 along party lines to eliminate the Main Studio Rule at today’s Open Meeting of FCC Commissioners.

Stations will still be required to maintain local or toll-free phone numbers and public file materials that isn’t online accessible for the communities they serve, but will no longer be required to have a studio in or near the station’s city-of-license. The Main Studio Rule was adopted in the Communications Act of 1934 which established the FCC requiring stations to have a studio in its city of license and was modified in the 1970s to allow the studio to be within 25 miles.

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai had previously stated that the rule was outdated because in the digital age the community has access and can engage with stations via social media or email without having a physical studio nearby and that maintaining a physical address is an expense better put to other uses, like adding more local programming.

The FCC claims that it will reduce regulatory burdens and costs for broadcasters that can be directed toward such things as programming, equipment upgrades, newsgathering, and other services that benefit consumers. In theory a group owner can now consolidate all programming into a handful of studio locations across the country with little to no content originating in the community or markets a radio or television serves. Instead of renting big studio complexes for their clusters, a company can make do with a small office facility to host sales and a few promotions people.

Boldfaced goes right in the "Shit That Will Never Happen" file. Sounds just like how Telecommunications '96 was going to "increase competition" by...letting giant corporations own nine stations per market, I guess?

Anyway, while I'm sure anyone who cares enough to open this thread will say that it was overly quaint to require radio stations to maintain a facility in/near the city of license, the consequences of not doing so don't seem like they'll benefit anyone but the shareholders.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:35 pm 

This will be great for locally owned stations. :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:49 pm 

iHeart could run the white half of its Chicago cluster from out of town without missing a beat. 93.9, 95.5, and of course Kiss FM are jukeboxes that don't need to be locally operated. They'd probably cause more trouble than they'd save by moving V103 and GCI out of town.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I can't wait to hear Colin Cowherd all day, every day!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:03 pm 

Soon they will ruin the internet too!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:04 pm 

This probably won't have much of an effect on cities like Chicago, New York, or other major markets, but this will decimate local coverage in small cities that already operate on razor thin budgets.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:05 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
iHeart could run the white half of its Chicago cluster from out of town without missing a beat. 93.9, 95.5, and of course Kiss FM are jukeboxes that don't need to be locally operated. They'd probably cause more trouble than they'd save by moving V103 and GCI out of town.

The asshole that is Steve Harvey agrees with you :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:44 pm 

why dont we just create our own bot networks to run against the neo right bullshit. were not going to stop them, all we can do is fight fire with fire.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Small-town radio stations make money. Paying just out of broadcasting school types min wage to cover/broadcast local high school sports and
gotta have someone working the phones for the small-town version of Craigslist:

http://thumbnet.net/wire/ladiesline/01795_Ladies_Line.mp3

ff to about the 4:50 mark....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:25 pm 

The Radio Shopping Show out in Elgin and Aurora does better than it has any right to selling Burger King gift certificates on AM daytimers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:07 am 

Eric and Raji "Dave" Patel in the mornings on Q 101, coming to you live from "Chicago"