It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: NY Daily News
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
City of Fools wrote:
Rich people are a convenient villein.

I'd say people in the 80k-200k bracket are the real problem. Driving up the costs of homes, paying unreasonable sums for them, was the cause of the downturn in 2008, and it will happen again. We have been snookered by the 30 year mortgage loan, "hey, it's only another hundred bucks a month for 30k in price, sure!"

You're right.

It's the upper middle-class that's the real problem with the country.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
The Koch brothers have the same amount of power as the guy who does my pool repairs.

You realize that having a pool makes the garage thing weirder.

:lol: How so?

The garage thing has been grossly exaggerated.

All I said was I was sitting in the garage while it rained, but now it's somehow become me sitting and watching the neighborhood children.

Didn't you also post about sitting in there and some kids threw a ball or something near the grass and said "Sorry sir" or something?

Yes. Also, I was touching myself.

That's disgusting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
City of Fools wrote:

I'd say people in the 80k-200k bracket are the real problem. Driving up the costs of homes, paying unreasonable sums for them, was the cause of the downturn in 2008, and it will happen again. We have been snookered by the 30 year mortgage loan, "hey, it's only another hundred bucks a month for 30k in price, sure!"

Who do you think the owners of those banks are?

And who is blaming the rich? We’re merely pointing out that very rich people have more power.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
leashyourkids wrote:
[

Pretty much everyone with a 401K.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:39 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
leashyourkids wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

And who is blaming the rich? We’re merely pointing out that very rich people have more power.

Rich people make decisions for everyone else that have no consequences for themselves. That's what led to the rise of Sanders and Trump. Not that those guys are perfect avatars for such a movement. They're just symbols of dissatisfaction.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:40 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
[

Pretty much everyone with a 401K.

Yes, the average 401k owner has more shares of Goldman Sachs than a guy with an actual hedge fund.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
leashyourkids wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
The Koch brothers have the same amount of power as the guy who does my pool repairs.

All I said was I was sitting in the garage while it rained, but now it's somehow become me sitting and watching the neighborhood children.

To be fair, I find it more folksy than red-flag-y. More Uncle Jed than Uncle Ernie, if you will.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:45 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Ok, so your position is that the wealthy have no more power than the middle class.

I think that is absolutely insane.
As a group? The middle class has more power. They just happen to often vote with the rich. The evil Ricketts family can give millions to whoever they want but it doesn't matter if those politicians don't get elected by popular vote.

Telegram Sam wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

To be fair, I find it more folksy than red-flag-y. More Uncle Jed than Uncle Ernie, if you will.

You're always invited!

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ok, so your position is that the wealthy have no more power than the middle class.

I think that is absolutely insane.
As a group? The middle class has more power. They just happen to often vote with the rich. The evil Ricketts family can give millions to whoever they want but it doesn't matter if those politicians don't get elected by popular vote.

Are you saying that power is only derived through elections?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:48 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Not only, but ultimately the politicians who are bought and paid for and powerful have been reelected consistently for decades by the non-rich.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:53 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Not only, but ultimately the politicians who are bought and paid for and powerful have been reelected consistently for decades by the non-rich.

The problem with this line of thinking is you are assuming elected officials have principle.

The wealthy "work with" whoever gets elected.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:01 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

The problem with this line of thinking is you are assuming elected officials have principle.

If politicians are truly working against the people they represent then vote them out. The fact is many middle class people ate happy with what they ate doing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:04 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

If politicians are truly working against the people they represent then vote them out. The fact is many middle class people ate happy with what they ate doing.

And the new ones voted in will also be compromised by the wealthy.

I cant believe you are even arguing this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:05 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I can't believe you think there are no good politicians.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
It is true that we the people are ultimately responsible for whoever is in office. I would say most adults in this country fail at media literacy and their basic civic duty to be informed citizens.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:07 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I can't believe you think there are no good politicians.

There are some at the local level and many go in with good intentions but once they get there, they fall in line or they dont get to stay.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:08 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
There are some at the local level and many go in with good intentions but once they get there, they fall in line or they dont get to stay.
Does it really bother you that much that it is possible that many voters actually like what their local politicians are doing even if it aligns with things that benefit the rich too?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:08 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
It is true that we the people are ultimately responsible for whoever is in office. I would say most adults in this country fail at media literacy and their basic civic duty to be informed citizens.

I like you. This is not about you, but it's pretty annoying how often people use that term now. "We the People"

I see it used in partisan shots. Like "We the people" reject the Clinton Murdering Machine, etc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
My Guy Danny Davis got all of like $20K from labor unions this year. He raised $120K total. BFD. Waaa boo hoo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:15 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Does it really bother you that much that it is possible that many voters actually like what their local politicians are doing even if it aligns with things that benefit the rich too?

Who is bothered?

I'm just stating some pretty universally agreed upon opinions.

And of course there are also people who vote against their own interests because they foolishly believe things being sold to them by politicians. Those people might be happy. They probably shouldn't be and wouldn't be if they could see fast forward and see the results of their votes, but yes some people are happy with laws that benefit the rich.

We've spun pretty far away from the ridiculous premise that the wealthy have less power than the middle class though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:17 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Who is bothered?

And of course there are also people who vote against their own interests because they foolishly believe things being sold to them by politicians. Those people might be happy. They probably shouldn't be and wouldn't be if they could see fast forward and see the results of their votes, but yes some people are happy with laws that benefit the rich.

We've spun pretty far away from the ridiculous premise that the wealthy have less power than the middle class though.
The fact is that a large portion of the things that keep down the poor benefit the middle class. That's why a large portion of the middle class goes along with the rich. Blaming the rich for those politicians constantly being reelected ignores the reality that if they truly wanted every single politician that was aligned with the rich would be jobless.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:17 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Who is bothered?

The fact is that a large portion of the things that keep down the poor benefit the middle class. That's why a large portion of the middle class goes along with the rich. Blaming the rich for those politicians constantly being reelected ignores the reality that if they truly wanted every single politician that was aligned with the rich would be jobless.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
I don't see Dr. Ken leaving Kenilworth to rob the poor.

He's already robbed them. That's how he got to Kenilworth.

Except he didn’t.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Except he didn’t.

He may have.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:23 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Except he didn’t.

He may have.

Self made rich people are great.

Lucky Sperm Club members not so much in most cases.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:23 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Who is bothered?

Is RPB complaining? I think his only premise was money=power. And it does. That is a fact.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:25 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Is RPB complaining? I think his only premise was money=power. And it does. That is a fact.
The complaining is that he thinks that any politician that gets elected to national office immediately is bought by the rich.

But hey, pointing out that the middle class could if they wanted vote anyone out of office is absurd!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:27 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
The complaining is that he thinks that any politician that gets elected to national office immediately is bought by the rich.

But hey, pointing out that the middle class could if they wanted vote anyone out of office is absurd!

FWIW, I agree that they could do that, but elections are about 5% of what "power" is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next