It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:52 am 

https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.com/how-if-you-re-a-man-to-deal-with-the-fact-that-you-re-1820410857

I'm going to apologize to my wife tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:55 am 

This is something I really didn't expect. I think we all had our own opinions on older generations and the types of "wrong ideas" they had but it seems like now we are at that point with Millenials and Gen Xers. Is my kid going to say "It's not my dads fault that he contributes to rape culture. He was just born in a different generation!"?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This is something I really didn't expect. I think we all had our own opinions on older generations and the types of "wrong ideas" they had but it seems like now we are at that point with Millenials and Gen Xers. Is my kid going to say "It's not my dads fault that he contributes to rape culture. He was just born in a different generation!"?

Probably. God help you if he finds that superman dat hoe post in the slump buster thread

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
#NotAllTads

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Kudos to wild cougar, no irony in that name:

Wild Cougar Damon Young
11/14/17 1:39pm

Wait, I think I get it. Calling yourself trash is how men deal with the fact that they actually like patriarchy and misogyny because it benefits them. So they show shame and that covers up for the fact that they still want dominance. If you say “I’m trash” and do a little performative feminism, you can avoid changing the status quo and get credit at the same time. That’s what this is, right? Just like wypipo who come on here and performatively flog themselves as a last ditch effort to maintain dominance and still look like the good guy at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Vote Trump.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:13 pm 

denisdman wrote:

Wild Cougar Damon Young

Wait, I think I get it. Calling yourself trash is how men deal with the fact that they actually like patriarchy and misogyny because it benefits them. So they show shame and that covers up for the fact that they still want dominance. If you say “I’m trash” and do a little performative feminism, you can avoid changing the status quo and get credit at the same time. That’s what this is, right? Just like wypipo who come on here and performatively flog themselves as a last ditch effort to maintain dominance and still look like the good guy at the same time.
The comment section there is intense. It's basically a bunch of "Hey men, stop agreeing with what we say. You don't get that right!".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Dumbest thing I read in a while.

And that includes posts here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I just had this conversation with a friend's 25 year old son. He's a real Social Justice Pete and is always going on about this stuff. I said, "Listen, are you a rapist?" He was kind of taken aback. I asked again. Then I told him, "I'm not a rapist, your dad's not a rapist, none of our other friends are rapists. If you're a rapist, maybe you should stop talking about this rape culture that I know nothing about and turn yourself in." He really didn't know how to respond.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Wild Cougar Damon Young

The comment section there is intense. It's basically a bunch of "Hey men, stop agreeing with what we say. You don't get that right!".

Exactly. And someone calling themselves a "Cougar" is pretty much falling into the existing order of things, although one could argue it is a woman taking advantage of a younger guy, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
aw Gawker, don't ever change.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:27 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I just had this conversation with a friend's 25 year old son. He's a real Social Justice Pete and is always going on about this stuff. I said, "Listen, are you a rapist?" He was kind of taken aback. I asked again. Then I told him, "I'm not a rapist, your dad's not a rapist, none of our other friends are rapists. If you're a rapist, maybe you should stop talking about this rape culture that I know nothing about and turn yourself in." He really didn't know how to respond.
I tended to be more on the feminism side of a lot of things as I do think there was a lot of denial about what women can't/shouldn't do but this kind of stuff is going so far that it puts a lot of those thoughts in a different light.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
I was reading a Jezebel article the other day, and the comments section there always cracks me up. They were arguing that women handle pain and difficulties better than men, and that men are the weaker sex. One commenter said that if women were truly the weaker sex, evolution would have killed them off thousands of years ago. She was praised for her "truthful" comments.

:?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
SuperMario wrote:
I was reading a Jezebel article the other day, and the comments section there always cracks me up. They were arguing that women handle pain and difficulties better than men, and that men are the weaker sex. One commenter said that if women were truly the weaker sex, evolution would have killed them off thousands of years ago. She was praised for her "truthful" comments.

:?

Things were easier when all they bitched about was Phil Donahue or Oprah being in reruns for a week.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:51 pm 

You haven’t lived until you see the Jerry Springer midget clan episode. So touching when one of the midget Nazi’s learns the errors of his ways.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I tended to be more on the feminism side of a lot of things as I do think there was a lot of denial about what women can't/shouldn't do but this kind of stuff is going so far that it puts a lot of those thoughts in a different light.

I'm not sure how to define "feminism" anymore. The women that I grew up with who identify as "feminists" find this all of this stuff to be some kind of puritanical moral hysteria wherein all women lack agency and are simply weaklings that are constantly preyed upon by men and are absolutely helpless to do anything about it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:56 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Yea, things will snap back into place though, imo.

Listen to women? Ok
Believe women? Ok (with the same scrutiny as a man)

After that, if you're telling me, NO you are still wrong. I got nothing for you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Good. Free your mind because your ass is gonna be in jail for rape.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:58 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm not sure how to define "feminism" anymore. The women that I grew up with who identify as "feminists" find this all of this stuff to be some kind of puritanical moral hysteria wherein all women lack agency and are simply weaklings that are constantly preyed upon by men and are absolutely helpless to do anything about it.
We were watching Shark Tank and yet another "Teach girls it is cool to code!" product came on and my wife said "Why do they need all of these? Why not just do it if you like it?". I tried to explain it but then I realized that I was mansplaining to my wife why women need toys that get them to think that coding is cool at an age when no kid at any age is going to think coding is cool. So then I just said it was a way for someone to try and sell a product under the guise of empowering women and so they can cry about being a money making enterprise that "wants to make a difference!".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Listen to women? Ok

After that, if you're telling me, NO you are still wrong. I got nothing for you.

I don't think you're trash just because you and Harvey Weinstein have similar genitals and he happened to throw Jennifer Lawrence on a couch and Lawrence didn't complain because she won an Oscar.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
We were watching Shark Tank and yet another "Teach girls it is cool to code!" product came on and my wife said "Why do they need all of these? Why not just do it if you like it?". I tried to explain it but then I realized that I was mansplaining to my wife why women need toys that get them to think that coding is cool at an age when no kid at any age is going to think coding is cool. So then I just said it was a way for someone to try and sell a product under the guise of empowering women and so they can cry about being a money making enterprise that "wants to make a difference!".

Your wife is absolutely right. And the truth is that less women like coding than men. But saying so got that guy fired at Google. And it's not all women or all men. But that's part of the reason more women aren't in STEM fields- they don't want to be. That doesn't mean I'm a better tech guy than my wife just because I have balls. In fact, my wife can code like a motherfucker and teach herself to admin any system in a very short time and I just scrape by in Excel and spout bullshit to other goofs like me to get them to buy shit they probably don't need.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I taught my daughter it was cool to code by saying, try out that club, I bet you'll like it.

They have an after school SWAT (Student's Working to Advance Technology) club.

Mark Cuban should give me 50,000 dollars.

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Idiotic thoughts like these highlight that even intelligent people can bring themselves to have insane views of the world. Even seemingly reasonable views like “women shouldn’t be treated as inferior to men” can morph into shit like this if people aren’t challenged in their beliefs and live in an echo chamber.

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Women can do anything that men can, but right now they're not allowed to, so they need men to let them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:14 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Listen to women? Ok

I don't think you're trash just because you and Harvey Weinstein have similar genitals and he happened to throw Jennifer Lawrence on a couch and Lawrence didn't complain because she won an Oscar.

Well, thank you.

But on the other hand, let's not pretend that everything was cool before and this popped up out of nowhere. Decades of sexism are as much to blame as Jezebel.

There are MANY on and off this board who still view women as the weaker sex, etc.

In fact, I think a case could be made that Sexism is more prevalent than racism at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:15 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I taught my daughter it was cool to code by saying, try out that club, I bet you'll like it.
That's the proper way to do it.
rogers park bryan wrote:
They have an after school SWAT (Student's Working to Advance Technology) club.
That's good. Just make sure you monitor that they aren't actually shooting unarmed black men.
rogers park bryan wrote:
Mark Cuban should give me 50,000 dollars.
He will if you say you are from Dallas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
This dog did something about it.

http://abc7chicago.com/pets-animals/chi ... e/2652171/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Listen to women? Ok

Well, thank you.

But on the other hand, let's not pretend that everything was cool before and this popped up out of nowhere. Decades of sexism are as much to blame as Jezebel.

There are MANY on and off this board who still view women as the weaker sex, etc.

In fact, I think a case could be made that Sexism is more prevalent than racism at this point.

Women are the weaker sex in certain ways. They're also the only sex that can bear a child. Part of the problem is pretending that there is no difference.

Do you think women, especially good looking ones, ever get breaks because of their sex? Is that sexism? I would say it is, but women aren't complaining about that. Life isn't fair. It doesn't go your way all the time. But it doesn't always go against you either.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:26 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Well, thank you.

Women are the weaker sex in certain ways. They're also the only sex that can bear a child. Part of the problem is pretending that there is no difference.

Do you think women, especially good looking ones, ever get breaks because of their sex? Is that sexism? I would say it is, but women aren't complaining about that. Life isn't fair. It doesn't go your way all the time. But it doesn't always go against you either.

I thought you would understand that my "weaker" sex was not specifically regarding physical strength. I meant overall.

Would you say that about black people, too? They get scholarships that other races cant get sometimes.

But really, I guess what I'm asking is if we are just wiping the slate clean? Should nothing in our racist/sexist past have any bearing on current times?