It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lena Dunham
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
One of the more outspoken "listen and believe" feminists out there is now defending a Girls writer accused of sexual assault.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/17/girls-lena- ... l-assault/

Actress Aurora Perrineau, daughter of Lost star Harold Perrineau, filed a complaint about the alleged attack with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office, according to The Wrap, which first reported the news. But in their statement released Friday evening, Dunham and Konner defend Miller against the claims.

“During the windfall of deeply necessary accusations over the last few months in Hollywood, we have been thrilled to see so many women’s voices heard and dark experiences in this industry justified. It’s a hugely important time of change and, like every feminist in Hollywood and beyond, we celebrate,” the two say. “But during every time of change there are also incidences of the culture, in its enthusiasm and zeal, taking down the wrong targets.

“We believe, having worked closely with him for more than half a decade, that this is the case with Murray Miller. While our first instinct is to listen to every woman’s story, our insider knowledge of Murray’s situation makes us confident that sadly this accusation is one of the 3% of assault cases that are misreported every year. It is a true shame to add to that number, as outside of Hollywood women still struggle to be believed. We stand by Murray and this is all we’ll be saying about this issue.”

Post subject: Re: Lena Dunham
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Lena Dunham should be stoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:33 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Lena Dunham wrote:
we have been thrilled to see so many women’s voices heard and dark experiences in this industry justified. It’s a hugely important time of change and, like every feminist in Hollywood and beyond, we celebrate

Well, it's not quite as bad as "I wish I'd had an unwanted pregnancy so I could abort it," but you're...celebrating the justification of dark experiences?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Why would you want to risk damaging those innocent stones.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
you make us wonder with the things you say... maybe you were having a bad day? You musta thought, that we were nappin'...HEY BUDDY....who ya crappin'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Add this to the list of reasons why Lena Dunham is a turd of a human being.

"Always believe the woman....uuunless the accused is one of your friends. He'd never do anything like that."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:44 pm 

This is as deplorable as the idiots circling the wagons for Moore. You can still be a liberal or a conservative and call out rapists that are on your side. It's not a zero sum game.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Unreal.

Rather than taking a critical look at their stupid position that men should be presumed guilty, they just state that their friend is the exception... but no one else's is!

And to CH's point, who celebrates finding out about rapes and sexual assaults?

These people are sick.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:54 pm 

I think that was just worded poorly. They meant they are pleased that the light has started to shine on the underworld in Hollywood. The fact that HER friend couldn't possibly be a rapist...because reasons, is the real fuck you to the world.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
They want to be victims. It's the truth at the core of a lot of this that ultimately will make put this witch hunt down in history as an ugly affair led by a undisciplined media and blood drunk public.

Everyone asks "WELL WHY WOULD THEY LIE", with the assumption being there's nothing in it for accusers. But there is. Victims are almost worshipped nowadays, and if you have nothing else going for you joining that "club" is an easy way to get people to say a lot of nice things about you.

I bet if you started really digging on these accusers there would be some really questionable shit out there. The types of people who decades later are still traumatised by Kevin Spacey blowing them have either unresolved personal issues or an agenda.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:01 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

These people are sick.

Hank Scorpio wrote:
I think that was just worded poorly. They meant they are pleased that the light has started to shine on the underworld in Hollywood. The fact that HER friend couldn't possibly be a rapist...because reasons, is the real fuck you to the world.

I don't think Lena Dunham is an idiot, but she's lived the kind of bubble life that's made her susceptible to some very inarticulate turns of phrase. This seems particularly hazardous when you write for a living, but she's been able to get away with it, probably because of that bubble. I get what I think she's trying to say, which is that it's encouraging that women are speaking out about harassment and assault that they've faced, but to call the whole story something to be "celebrated" really clangs to me. You publicly bared your soul about an executive producer raping you. Let's celebrate! But this is who she is and no one's gonna shun her out of show business, even if she fingered her little sister once.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:03 pm 

I don't think she literally meant it that way (she meant it like you guys said - that she is happy women are coming forward with their stories), but there's not a doubt in my mind that she and many others of her ilk really are getting a huuuuuuuge kick out of this, even if they'd never admit it. In their minds, it justifies their idiotic beliefs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Gotta love the "fuck it, let's just say it's 3%" statistic in there.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
Unreal.

Rather than taking a critical look at their stupid position that men should be presumed guilty, they just state that their friend is the exception... but no one else's is!

These people are sick.

They got me ready to #MAGA.

Goddamn dolts.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:10 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

A sexual assault being "misreported" sounds like the paperwork got lost, or the person gave the address for Tau Kappa Epsilon as 690 42nd Street when it was really 420 69th Street. It wasn't a false accusation, it was just misreported.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:10 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

Maybe she's a scientist?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:11 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Maybe she's a scientist?

MANY agree that rapists are bad people who are not okay. I don't know. I will have to ask JORR.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:12 pm 

On the bright side, her fellow mental patients will probably eat her alive for this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Goddamn dolts.

Connor wrote:
That's a t-shirt.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:19 pm 

she's a disgusting human being. and she fingered her little sister when she was 7. fuck this "feminist goddess". i wish more women would tar and feather people like her.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:50 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Goddamn dolts.

Connor wrote:
That's a t-shirt.

Roll Tide.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:54 pm 

W_Z wrote:
she's a disgusting human being. and she fingered her little sister when she was 7. fuck this "feminist goddess". i wish more women would tar and feather people like her.

It would be fine if she were crushed underneath Julie DiCaro during a tumble down a long flight of stairs.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
When you deal in absolutes, sooner or later you will look like a jackass and a hypocrite. That's just the way knowledge works.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Tad Queasy wrote:
Add this to the list of reasons why Lena Dunham is a turd

Don’t be associating this twat-waffle with my ilk.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:26 pm 

where's gillian flynn when you need her? she writes the nastiest bitches on the planet and defends it. i'd love to see her come out against these idiots.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:55 pm 

W_Z wrote:

What is this sister thing? I must have missed it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:03 pm 

There's a passage in her memoir about how Lena would deceive her little sister into letting Lena finger her. She felt bad about it now but said it was an essential part of exploring her nascent sexuality or something. Everyone got really mad but I believe both Dunham sisters said they had settled the matter.

EDIT:
https://jezebel.com/the-right-to-a-sexu ... 1654187731
Quote:
Still there's the question of language to consider. You could say that Dunham could have used some different words. At one point in this chapter, she describes her unrequited affection for her younger sister as manifesting in actions "a sexual predator might do to woo a small suburban girl." But this figurative language, in poor taste given the context—and unremarkable in the context of the many other tone-deaf moments in the memoir—is not in itself telling, not at all. What's she really talking about here? I offer my friends candy; I invite them into my car. I handle nice takeout sandwiches gently, because I want them to be firm when I shove them in my mouth. Am I predatory? Towards sandwiches, absolutely. Am I using dumb language? Oh, for sure. Hinting at a consent problem? Hell motherfucking no.

People are also getting caught up on the fact that Dunham says that her sister "didn't resist." That is bad wording, but it's also important: her sister, a baby at the time, was not made uncomfortable, was not put in a state of panic or pain. For a seven-year-old touching a sibling whose diaper she has likely assisted in changing, that's a reasonable metric to think that your actions are okay.

Which isn't to say it was actually okay. It wasn't! Get out of there, Lena! But the area between "Well, let's never do that again" and "This is sexual abuse" is significant and real and crucial to delineate if we want to preserve our ability to identify, indict and prosecute the latter. The problem is that no one ever told Dunham her freedom had a limit. The fact that Dunham off-handedly writes that her mother didn't correct her because peering into vaginas was just "within the spectrum of things [she] did" is indicative of something that is at the root of every tiresome Dunham backlash: the fact that, of all the things this young artist has included in the vast multimedia portrayal of her own experience, there are very, very few moments of true consideration for any difficulties contained in experiences that are not her own.

More often, as Carolyn Edgar writes at Slate, Dunham seems "troublingly averse to adult reflection on her life." That's the root of the careless language, the sloppily assembled memory: that's a matter of the upbringing that made her as successfully self-absorbed as she is. And self-absorption, in most cases, has to be trained out of you eventually, in the same way that sexuality eventually gets trained in.

Jezebel e-spilling an e-lot of e-ink to say "look, she's not a sexual predator, she's just a writer who fails to express herself clearly and thoughtfully because she's such a coddled brat!"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:58 pm 

Looks like she’s apologizing for defending him already .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:04 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

Jezebel e-spilling an e-lot of e-ink to say "look, she's not a sexual predator, she's just a writer who fails to express herself clearly and thoughtfully because she's such a coddled brat!"

It wouldn't surprise me if they did say that. Sometimes, no matter what Jezebel might say, they just can't escape irony. Talk about painting yourself into a corner...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:08 pm 

I keep seeing this when I read the thread title: