It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NYC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I guess they decided it was better to pay unionized transit workers an average salary of $180,000 as thanks for political support than it was to pay for required maintenance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/18/nyre ... -news&_r=1

Post subject: Re: NYC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:15 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Good article. I've been fascinated by how badly the MTA is breaking down -- New York has never felt bigger or more important in our lifetimes, but all the while it's rotting from the inside out. But I think laying the blame at the feet of labor (evident by your implicit emphasis on "unionized") is a little misleading. It looks like there's been all sorts of financial malfeasance going on at the state level. But there's no argument that they've all lost sight of what should be their top priority, which is making sure stuff works. Labor involved in something as important as the New York subway system should be paid fairly, but not at the expense of operating it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:20 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I have zero sympathy for a city's financial problems when they employ rent control.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:47 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
312player wrote:
I have zero sympathy for a city's financial problems when they employ rent control.

Congratulations, you've identified New York's largest problem: longtime residents can't get evicted so that investors can run airbnbs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:46 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Curious Hair wrote:
312player wrote:

Congratulations, you've identified New York's largest problem: longtime residents can't get evicted so that investors can run airbnbs.

Nowhere near the top of " problems" but I've always disagreed with telling landlords how much they can rent for.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:28 am 

Illinois doesn't have to get better. The other states just need to get worse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
312player wrote:

Yeah, but if there wasn't rent control, we wouldn't have unemployed people on Friends living in fancy apartments overlooking Central Park.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Illinois doesn't have to get better. The other states just need to get worse

Reverend Watkins was a sage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:28 am 

Maintenance is largely overlooked in most industries these days. The plan is simple, run the shit till it kills someone then buy new shit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
IkeSouth wrote:
Maintenance is largely overlooked in most industries these days. The plan is simple, run the shit till it kills someone then buy new shit.

Yep and anytime production actually has the balls to shutdown for a couple days for scheduled maintenance, everyone flips out. They also all flip out when there are unscheduled delays as well. So basically, just have everything run perfectly at all times. Is that too much to ask?!? :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Yep and anytime production actually has the balls to shutdown for a couple days for scheduled maintenance, everyone flips out. They also all flip out when there are unscheduled delays as well. So basically, just have everything run perfectly at all times. Is that too much to ask?!? :lol: :lol:

Vote Mussolini for Governor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:47 am 

Don Tiny wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Vote Mussolini for Governor

I'd hate to see Tiny's vote where road building is concerned.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Hank Scorpio wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

The case in point for this is NJ Transit over the summer. They cut services to Penn to perform very needed track repair and people lost their shit. If you think the NY Subway is a disaster, I'd argue the Hudson River Tunnels are an even more pressing problem. They are 100+ years old, at full capacity and they still cannot agree to build a 3rd tunnel.