It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Those aren't really free speech issues anyway. A university does not owe a professor employment or tenure. Especially a professor who sounds far more like Hitler than Jordan Peterson ever has. But if Salaita or Finkelstein wants to stand on the quad and deny the Holocaust I think they should be allowed to do so.

What did the university "owe" Shepherd that they failed to provide? How was that a free speech issue at all in a way Finklestein or Salaita weren't? As I said earlier in this thread, it's rather interesting how quickly the discussion shifts between what is procedurally allowable and what is normatively desirable based on how much a person agrees with the speaker in question.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
tommy wrote:
That's nuts. That's unbelievably un-American.

Their right to a college education is not guaranteed. The first amendment does not protect them from being expelled.

Liberal logic turned against itself in theory. We all know it'll never happen, though. Only Nazi's, which is now a generic term used to describe anybody who has committed one microaggression in the last year or misgendered a man wearing a dress, can be disciplined for speech. And then the left will be there to remind you that the 1A doesn't apply to people who are destroyed for believing immigration laws (passed by an elected congress) should be enforced.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Those aren't really free speech issues anyway. A university does not owe a professor employment or tenure. Especially a professor who sounds far more like Hitler than Jordan Peterson ever has. But if Salaita or Finkelstein wants to stand on the quad and deny the Holocaust I think they should be allowed to do so.

What did the university "owe" Shepherd that they failed to provide? How was that a free speech issue at all in a way Finklestein or Salaita weren't? As I said earlier in this thread, it's rather interesting how quickly the discussion shifts between what is procedurally allowable and what is normatively desirable based on how much a person agrees with the speaker in question.

I don't think the Shepherd situation was a free speech issue or even an academic freedom issue. She's not a professor and it's Rambukkana's class. But it was possibly workplace harassment based upon a political orthodoxy and a lie.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:30 pm 

tommy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
America wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
But there really isn't much evidence at all that academics do frequently engage in this type of behavior and get away with it. I certainly understand though why the Peterson types want there to be since it lets them continue to play the victim.

There have no doubt been lots of free speech controversies on campuses over the last few years (though I think that was always the case and it's just the national coverage that's increased), but I'd say if anything the recent controversies indicate that the greatest threats to speech come from asscovering administrators and trustees more so than politically correct students and agenda-driven SJW professors.

Except you dont see how closely the two are linked. Spineless bureacrats and administrators know the only thing that upset the apple cart on campus is the left having a tantrum, so they appease them. That cycle repeats itself enough times and there's no more free speech on campus, which is where we are now.

That's not the case though, as just as often they'll engage in their asscovering at the behest of clear non-leftists as in the Finklestein and Salaita cases. And of course, you now have Republican legislatures wanting to punish students for their own exercises of free speech by threatening expulsion for protestors of conservative speakers.

Correct, but there will be someone along to defend it in the name of "their side"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:36 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I don't think the Shepherd situation was a free speech issue or even an academic freedom issue. She's not a professor and it's Rambukkana's class. But it was possibly workplace harassment based upon a political orthodoxy and a lie.

It was most certainly being treated as a free speech issue by the majority of this thread (and most commentators) when this happened, and also a supposed confirmation of all of Peterson's predictions about the chilling effect of C16.

Personally even if you're being consistent, I think your use of free speech in this post is overly narrow and legalistic. Losing your job because your employer doesn't like what you said strikes me as a definite free speech issue, even if it's not technically a First Amendment one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

ZephMarshack wrote:
It was most certainly being treated as a free speech issue by the majority of this thread (and most commentators) when this happened, and also a supposed confirmation of all of Peterson's predictions about the chilling effect of C16.

Well, C-16 was raised in the meeting and it was suggested that Shepherd broke a law.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of Peterson, though I do think he's a smart guy who makes logical arguments. The best argument against government mandating pronoun usage is most likely an argument coming from linguistics based upon the way human beings learn language and the frequency of pronouns. if every person is legally entitled to ___________ own pronouns at the penalty of law we're looking at a likely Tower of Babel situation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
rogers park bryan wrote:
tommy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
America wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
But there really isn't much evidence at all that academics do frequently engage in this type of behavior and get away with it. I certainly understand though why the Peterson types want there to be since it lets them continue to play the victim.

There have no doubt been lots of free speech controversies on campuses over the last few years (though I think that was always the case and it's just the national coverage that's increased), but I'd say if anything the recent controversies indicate that the greatest threats to speech come from asscovering administrators and trustees more so than politically correct students and agenda-driven SJW professors.

Except you dont see how closely the two are linked. Spineless bureacrats and administrators know the only thing that upset the apple cart on campus is the left having a tantrum, so they appease them. That cycle repeats itself enough times and there's no more free speech on campus, which is where we are now.

That's not the case though, as just as often they'll engage in their asscovering at the behest of clear non-leftists as in the Finklestein and Salaita cases. And of course, you now have Republican legislatures wanting to punish students for their own exercises of free speech by threatening expulsion for protestors of conservative speakers.

Correct, but there will be someone along to defend it in the name of "their side"

Even before this post was made.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:28 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Lindsay Shepherd is basically alt-right now, by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:

I don't think so. She's a crunchy hippie.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:32 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I dunno, her Twitter feed reads as pretty alt-right. If she's smart, she'll get in on the Jordan Peterson grift and become another public-intellectual carny. She'd be a dangerous weapon for them, too, because who would anyone rather listen to: a conventionally attractive girl or some pink-haired fat freak?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
tommy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
America wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I would never defend attempts to shut down protests but i think we have to look at what "protest" means in this context. Are we all just going to yell as loud as we can?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I dunno, her Twitter feed reads as pretty alt-right.

I think that's probably because the Left has tried to paint her as the oppressor of a poor POC and spouted garbage about "white tears". She hasn't lied. Rambukkana did.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:56 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
tommy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
America wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I would never defend attempts to shut down protests but i think we have to look at what "protest" means in this context. Are we all just going to yell as loud as we can?

Seems clear to me that the line is physicality.

Don't get physical.
Don't burn shit.
Don't prevent people from going in.

Chant your issues, don't break anything.

Doesn't mean it's smart or effective but its within people's rights.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:58 pm 

Is Tomi Lahren alt right?

Her Twitter is very similar to Shepherd's.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:00 pm 

Obviously he's a moron but what end was the professor seeking with the made up complaint?

Couldn't he get rid of her or at least tell her not to teach the class that way?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
tommy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
America wrote:

Seems clear to me that the line is physicality.

Don't get physical.
Don't burn shit.
Don't prevent people from going in.

Chant your issues, don't break anything.

Doesn't mean it's smart or effective but its within people's rights.

and try to get people on your side and figure out the best way to do that

and, if you have time, shake your little tush on the catwalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:

she is not alt-right. However, it's no shock that the regressive leftists have pushed her towards that direction with their own thought fascism.

She is certainly anti-SJW at this point, but I'd say SJW's create anti-SJW's and being anti-SJW does not make one alt-right.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Unless alt right just means people who aren’t SJWs, I don’t see how you can say she’s alt right. To be fair, I only went like 15-20 tweets deep into her twitter feed because I don’t really care all that much.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:09 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Unless alt right just means people who aren’t SJWs, I don’t see how you can say she’s alt right. To be fair, I only went like 15-20 tweets deep into her twitter feed because I don’t really care all that much.

She did interviews with Dave Rubin and Steven Crowder. If she's not alt-right herself, she's allowing herself to be used by people who are.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Is Tomi Lahren alt right?

Her Twitter is very similar to Shepherd's.

She's nothing like Tomi Lahren. First, she has a brain. She does seem to be getting mileage out of this, but I think she's sincere and she isn't making money. She's an environmentalist vegetarian with a Muslim boyfriend and her parents are educators. I hardly think she's alt-right. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

She did interviews with Dave Rubin and Steven Crowder. If she's not alt-right herself, she's allowing herself to be used by people who are.

Dave Rubin isn't alt-right. He's a queer liberal Jew who worked at the Young Turks until he couldn't stand Cenk's bullshit anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:15 pm 

They're all liberal until they aren't. His show has had lots of far-right people on. I remember Cernovich in particular being one of them.

Maybe the real issue with Lindsay Shepherd is that the her own side is shutting her out while the right is rushing to embrace her.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
They're all liberal until they aren't. His show has had lots of far-right people on. I remember Cernovich in particular being one of them.

Maybe the real issue with Lindsay Shepherd is that the her own side is shutting her out while the right is rushing to embrace her.

perhaps it is because her side is made up of those who are fucking fascists when it comes to matters of freedom of speech and expression.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:

The problem isn't that he gives those people a forum, it's that he's too nice of a guy to be a good interviewer. Larry Elder spun him in a circle. Rubin just isn't disagreeable enough to a point where it can come off as if he is endorsing the views of a nut like Cernovich.

But to call anyone who doesn't believe the world should be run by transgendered black lesbian Marxists "alt-right" is silly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:27 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I guess. I don’t know who any of these people are so my opinion is obviously less informed. I just didn’t see any opinions of hers on her twitter feed that I thought were outrageous or incendiary.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:00 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Well, C-16 was raised in the meeting and it was suggested that Shepherd broke a law.

Rambukkana intimated it, but as I noted earlier, it was the university's own speech code which was primarily cited by the other people in the meeting and which in all likelihood preceded that bill anyway. It seems to be your position that speech codes, despite their name, have little to do with free speech, so free speech crisis averted I guess.
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Sounds to me like you're defending a positive right to be heard with one's freedom of speech here or at least a right not to be met by the protected free speech of others (a "safe space" if you will). I happen to think no platforming is a terrible tactic, but I don't see how one takes the procedural and legalistic view of free speech you're advocating yet want to also grant special rights and privileges to college speakers to be protected from hostile audiences.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:06 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

She might not be a part of any (re-aligning) side.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:17 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

she is not alt-right. However, it's no shock that the regressive leftists have pushed her towards that direction with their own thought fascism.

She is certainly anti-SJW at this point, but I'd say SJW's create anti-SJW's and being anti-SJW does not make one alt-right.

She's certainly calling them out on their bullshit. She might share that with some alt-righters (her arguments are better, though), but I can't say I see any evidence on her Twitter (at least going back to about December 7th) that she's alt-right.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Sounds to me like you're defending a positive right to be heard with one's freedom of speech here or at least a right not to be met by the protected free speech of others (a "safe space" if you will). I happen to think no platforming is a terrible tactic, but I don't see how one takes the procedural and legalistic view of free speech you're advocating yet want to also grant special rights and privileges to college speakers to be protected from hostile audiences.

Yeah, I don't know. It's a tricky thing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:44 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, I don't know. It's a tricky thing.

If we started a “quotes that DONT sum up the CFMB” thread, I would think this would make the first cut.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next