It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
ZephMarshack wrote:
Neither of them are taken very seriously by practicing historians at this point. But intellectual dishonesty seems to be a prerequisite for being a public intellectual these days, particularly those who enjoy engaging in grand narrative debates about 'Western Civilization" for instance.

Well, I don't believe either one of them is an historian by trade. In any case, citing some nebulous and unspecified group of "practicing historians" is far more intellectually dishonest than anything I've ever heard from Hanson or Diamond. Also, I would suggest the use of quotation marks around "Western Civilization" may be evidence of your own political agenda.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
There is no fixing this. This is our new reality. Trump was too late.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
America wrote:

Do not go quietly into that long night

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

So you prefer the Stasi like interrogations about misuse of pronouns? Peterson is an accomplished academic who believes that research should be evidence based not because you "feel" a certain way.
I was referring to Hanson and Diamond there pal. But please, enlighten me on Peterson's major academic contributions to philosophy. You seem quite familiar about that realm given your summary of his groundbreaking work earlier in this thread.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/be ... rrectness/

https://harvardmagazine.com/1998/09/right.chaos.html

I think its an important contribution to identify that those who trumpet being politically correct are in fact authoritarian bootlickers of the left wing variety.

Quote:
Definitely the kind who goes hunting the internet every day to get shocked and appalled at political correctness running amok on college campuses and think that's far more worrying and important than anything going on in Washington.

What has Washington done that has directly lowered your quality of life in the last year, or hell three years?

Also that is a lazy whataboutism. There is a 200 page thread about Trump you can go and discuss Washington in. This thread is about the normalization of free speech repression on campuses.

I can agree with things both of you said, but one reason why this stuff is important is because it impedes learning. We need fewer blinders, not more. I think that is part of learning--removing the blinders, at least for a while. It's cool to see things from our point of view, but we have to learn why that pov exists and that there are other ones, and identity politics either blocks that or blocks my attempt (as a teacher) to connect.

And I am all for people criticizing each others' ideas and celebrating who they are, no doubt. But so many young people are walling themselves off. I thought old people (folx) were supposed to do that, not the young. Anyway, we all keep forgetting that we could very well be wrong about a ton of shit. Not good for the culture. So that's what concerns me.

Also, leash is changing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:53 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
America wrote:

Do not go quietly into that long night

Poetry cleanses!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind. That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution… but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind. That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution… but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

Should have posted that in the "We've Lost all our heroes" thread.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:03 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
This type of thing is far more dangerous than anything that is happening from the extreme Right. It’s becoming mainstream.

Yep.

Again I say when the pendulum swings back to these folks 'on top', it's very likely it'll be worse than it is now.

Don Tiny: I think I was talking about this with you or Curious Hair like a year ago, but I think it has already swung, considering how many people hate hate hate intellectuals or professors or even teachers.

Board Members 39 or Older: Remember that one commercial advertising country's greatest hits in which there was a song called "We Were Swingin'"? Did they mean something else by "swinging," or did they mean the sort of gross activity? Weird commercial to put on at 4 pm during shows for kids. At least Freedom Rock was funny and had a few good tunes. Whenever I see the word swing, I think of this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
tommy wrote:

Board Members 39 or Older: Remember that one commercial advertising country's greatest hits in which there was a song called "We Were Swingin'"? Did they mean something else by "swinging," or did they mean the sort of gross activity? Weird commercial to put on at 4 pm during shows for kids. At least Freedom Rock was funny and had a few good tunes. Whenever I see the word swing, I think of this.

Replace "country" with Paul Revere and the Raiders, and this reads like a jimmypasta monologue.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Peterson predicted this is what would happen and he was ridiculed.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, who?

The Canadian academic who was a panelist on the video shown.

He has been a critic of Canada's laws regarding pronouns and political correctness.

He's also become another culture-war grifter who makes videos lecturing young men to clean their rooms and self-actualize or something. He sounds like Kermit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

He has been a critic of Canada's laws regarding pronouns and political correctness.

Oh, thanks. I couldn't get the video to play.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:17 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

He's also become another culture-war grifter who makes videos lecturing young men to clean their rooms and self-actualize or something. He sounds like Kermit.

A little cleanliness never hurt anyone. Well except for ethnic cleansing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:20 pm 

tommy wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

So you prefer the Stasi like interrogations about misuse of pronouns? Peterson is an accomplished academic who believes that research should be evidence based not because you "feel" a certain way.
I was referring to Hanson and Diamond there pal. But please, enlighten me on Peterson's major academic contributions to philosophy. You seem quite familiar about that realm given your summary of his groundbreaking work earlier in this thread.

I think its an important contribution to identify that those who trumpet being politically correct are in fact authoritarian bootlickers of the left wing variety.

Quote:
Definitely the kind who goes hunting the internet every day to get shocked and appalled at political correctness running amok on college campuses and think that's far more worrying and important than anything going on in Washington.

What has Washington done that has directly lowered your quality of life in the last year, or hell three years?

Also that is a lazy whataboutism. There is a 200 page thread about Trump you can go and discuss Washington in. This thread is about the normalization of free speech repression on campuses.

I can agree with things both of you said, but one reason why this stuff is important is because it impedes learning. We need fewer blinders, not more. I think that is part of learning--removing the blinders, at least for a while. It's cool to see things from our point of view, but we have to learn why that pov exists and that there are other ones, and identity politics either blocks that or blocks my attempt (as a teacher) to connect.

And I am all for people criticizing each others' ideas and celebrating who they are, no doubt. But so many young people are walling themselves off. I thought old people (folx) were supposed to do that, not the young. Anyway, we all keep forgetting that we could very well be wrong about a ton of shit. Not good for the culture. So that's what concerns me.

Also, leash is changing.

'
That's a reasonable take. It has to be hard trying to educate this generation without losing your shit.

I don't even know what I would say/do if I had some 15 year old snot nosed motherfucker tell me to "check my privilege", especially if the issue being discussed doesn't really have a racial/gender aspect to it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Neither of them are taken very seriously by practicing historians at this point. But intellectual dishonesty seems to be a prerequisite for being a public intellectual these days, particularly those who enjoy engaging in grand narrative debates about 'Western Civilization" for instance.

Well, I don't believe either one of them is an historian by trade.
Yet they both see fit to propose grand theories of history.

Quote:
In any case, citing some nebulous and unspecified group of "practicing historians" is far more intellectually dishonest than anything I've ever heard from Hanson or Diamond.
Then I'm inclined to say you're extremely credulous, just as you are with Harris. See here and here for layman overviews on problem with both of their works.

Quote:
Also, I would suggest the use of quotation marks around "Western Civilization" may be evidence of your own political agenda.

I would say being triggered by the use of quotation marks around a concept that by any reasonable measure is extremely poorly defined and discussed in popular media is far more indicative of an agenda.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Well, I don't believe either one of them is an historian by trade.
Yet they both see fit to propose grand theories of history.

Quote:
In any case, citing some nebulous and unspecified group of "practicing historians" is far more intellectually dishonest than anything I've ever heard from Hanson or Diamond.
Then I'm inclined to say you're extremely credulous, just as you are with Harris. See here and here for layman overviews on problem with both of their works.

Quote:
Also, I would suggest the use of quotation marks around "Western Civilization" may be evidence of your own political agenda.

I would say being triggered by the use of quotation marks around a concept that by any reasonable measure is extremely poorly defined and discussed in popular media is far more indicative of an agenda.

Good to know the credible historians are hanging out on Reddit rather than Youtube.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:47 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

The Peterson and Brophy work isn't even published anywhere, never mind peer-reviewed. Hard to describe that as a major contribution to academic psychology. Additionally, it's hard to see from the overview how it's any different from the many psych studies which also propose simplified personality types based on any number of run-of-the-mill content analyses and questionnaires (methods which were rightly excoriated for being part of the replication crisis in the field).

Maps of Meaning was a deservedly obscure derivative academic work until Peterson spiked in popularity in the last few years by telling the right exactly what it wanted to hear about the horrors of cultural Marxism.

Quote:
A helluva lot more than kids on campus being idiots about free speech.

Quote:
Given how frightened you are of the most unjust censorship occurring on universities, I can only assume you were even more outraged about the fates of people like Norman Finklestein for instance, right? I mean that's what I'd expect if this was definitely about a principled stance on free speech.

Last edited by ZephMarshack on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:48 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Good to know the credible historians are hanging out on Reddit rather than Youtube.

You want me to link you scholarly articles locked behind paywalls?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

As opposed to Reddit? Probably.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:54 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Aaron Swartz died so you wouldn't have to link to Reddit, which he was also responsible for.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:55 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Quote:
A helluva lot more than kids on campus being idiots about free speech.

Great debate mate.

You know LTG gets shit on for his sources but at least he provides them along with a cogent argument.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:58 pm 

Zeph Marshack wrote:
Given how frightened you are of the most unjust censorship occurring on universities, I can only assume you were even more outraged about the fates of people like Norman Finklestein for instance, right? I mean that's what I'd expect if this was definitely about a principled stance on free speech.

I in fact was outraged that he was silenced at DePaul. He dared to question the certain aspects of exploiting the Holocaust and was vilified for applying forensic research.

All censured speech is wrong. I don't have to agree with it but I can't shut it out.

Your just putting forward a lazy argument that I am only doing this because the person in question is fighting against pronouns for trannies. If this person was arguing for an independent state of Palestine I would have the same opinion.

Last edited by ToxicMasculinity on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Back to the original topic, it seems the university is now apologizing. Obviously only because Shepard taped the meeting. And still they miss the point, talking about "safety" and "harm" befalling students. As if ideas are dangerous. The problem is much bigger and more widespread than this incident.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:04 pm 

People are free to be delusional, but I am not obligated to partake in that delusion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:05 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Back to the original topic, it seems the university is now apologizing. Obviously only because Shepard taped the meeting. And still they miss the point, talking about "safety" and "harm" befalling students. As if ideas are dangerous. The problem is much bigger and more widespread than this incident.

I'm grateful she secretly recorded the meeting. Without the recording none of this gets exposed to the public and the scrutiny that brings.

Not apologizing for bad behavior is the MO of identity politics driven academia. Everything is explained away with "we were acting in the best interests of safety/awareness/sensitivity". No one admits anything is wrong with their behavior because the whole movement is at risk then.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:07 pm 

These conversations always remind me of this Triumph video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=378s&v=j556MWGVVqI

Even if partially scripted, it’s hilarious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
leashyourkids wrote:
People are free to be delusional, but I am not obligated to partake in that delusion.

You will conform.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:14 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
These conversations always remind me of this Triumph video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=378s&v=j556MWGVVqI

Even if partially scripted, it’s hilarious.

I get Loyola campus safety alerts forwarded from my niece. At no point in time is the race of a suspect disclosed. The last suspect was described as being between 20-25 years old and being between 5'9" and 6 feet in height. Pretty much 1/5 of the Edgewater/Rogers park neighborhood.

A while back they went so far as to say "Suspect had a Jamaican accent", and I was shocked they didn't include a disclaimer pointing out white Jamaicans exist.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
This is literal thought policing by regressives.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 pm 

Honestly, shit like this makes me smile when I see troves of liberal arts students leave college with 6 figures in debt and no ability to get a job outside of making drinks at a Starbucks whereas I instead went to college in order to learn a skill that has value in the marketplace.

Kind of changing subjects here, but has anyone noticed how none of the feminists screaming about the gender gap have STEM degrees?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:29 pm 

Here is Vice's headline on the subject:

"Jordan Peterson Is Causing Problems at Another University Now"

I will not link to the piece as I refuse to give the writer more hits. I guess I can take solace that the regressive author lives in a rat infested hellhole since Vice (owned by a liberal billionaire) doesn't pay its writers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next