It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
leashyourkids wrote:
Where we really fucked up was letting women vote.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:17 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
America wrote:
The most virulently crazy of these people are aged 18-24 and they are just getting into the workplace. You think they wont take over there too? I went back to school two years ago (almost) and it was a completely different experience than it was in the late 00's. They ran completely over it, everything appealing about that life has been drowned out by rants about privilege and constant reminders about what consent is.

Wouldn't you say this all started when Students for a Democratic Society declared that labor unions could no longer be the standard bearer of the left and it had to be the university? I mean, they replaced adults with children. Now we have the worst of both worlds: unions have no power and everyone's feelings get hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:
America wrote:
The most virulently crazy of these people are aged 18-24 and they are just getting into the workplace. You think they wont take over there too? I went back to school two years ago (almost) and it was a completely different experience than it was in the late 00's. They ran completely over it, everything appealing about that life has been drowned out by rants about privilege and constant reminders about what consent is.

Wouldn't you say this all started when Students for a Democratic Society declared that labor unions could no longer be the standard bearer of the left and it had to be the university? I mean, they replaced adults with children. Now we have the worst of both worlds: unions have no power and everyone's feelings get hurt.

I would say it’s directly related to not keeping score in children’s soccer and tee ball.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:23 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
America wrote:

movement from class and ses (both of which include other stuff) to identity only. coupled with the blindness of a party ruled by elites in out-ring suburbs or chic city areas.

was a mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Curious Hair wrote:
America wrote:

I feel like there was a divergence sometime in the last 10 years where the left had to decide between Mike Rowe and Anita Sarkeesian, and once they made that choice they had to stick with it. I dont see a way out. The apologies are out from the other professor and university and its bullshit. They are sorry this was recorded, not sorry for what they said.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Shepherd, the TA, is not taking their shit.

https://twitter.com/NewWorldHominin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
For years, many on the Left rightly criticized the Right for focusing on stupid social issues no one gives two shits about. But somehow, they managed to not only co-opt that mindset but to be even more extreme about it. Normal people don’t give a fuck about this stuff... until it gets so extreme that they actually start trampling the rights of others.

Having been a politics major in college when the Right was doing it, I was acutely aware of how stupid the Right had become. I hadn’t realized until the last couple of years how bad the Left had become. I just wasn’t as in tune to things.

Now, they are both so idiotic (the Left even more so) that we have a president who needs caretakers to make sure he doesn’t shit himself and threaten to nuke other countries. But he is not the disease. He is one of the symptoms of the disease.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I love when America goes full angry white man with his rants. Nobody needs safe spaces more than angry young white men who feel they are being oppressed.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
FavreFan wrote:
I love when America goes full angry white man with his rants. Nobody needs safe spaces more than angry young white men who feel they are being oppressed.

You are part of the problem. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:41 pm 

pittmike wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You are part of the problem. 8)

Nah I'm not angry. It's probably unhealthy to think as much about this shit as some do.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/barbara ... n-campuses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:48 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/barbara-kay-wlus-contemptible-conduct-proof-of-intellectual-assault-underway-on-campuses

With almost no intellectual opponents remaining, campus radicals have lost the ability to engage with arguments and resort instead to the lazy alternative of name-calling: opponents are all ‘fascists,’ ‘racists’ or ‘white supremacists’.”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:51 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Before Freddie deBoer went and committed himself, he was really good at pointing out that a lot of this is because universities have too many administrators.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
America wrote:

I would say it’s directly related to not keeping score in children’s soccer and tee ball.

They won't let him attend.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:20 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/barbara-kay-wlus-contemptible-conduct-proof-of-intellectual-assault-underway-on-campuses

With almost no intellectual opponents remaining, campus radicals have lost the ability to engage with arguments and resort instead to the lazy alternative of name-calling: opponents are all ‘fascists,’ ‘racists’ or ‘white supremacists’.”

Hard to "engage with arguments" with someone who is racist though.

Guy 1: I think black people are subhuman.

Guy 2: I don't think they are but that's a valid perspective certainly!

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:29 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Is this a serious comment?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:33 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Is this a serious question?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:40 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Is this a serious question?

The point is that these people aren’t racists.

Let me know the next time a speaker comes to a university and says that black people are subhuman. Then we can discuss.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:43 pm 

Who are "these people"? It seems odd to try to speak for every incident like they're all the same.

But I was just pointing that out because you've criticized calling actual racist people racist in the past so I didn't know if this was one of those things again.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Who are "these people"? It seems odd to try to speak for every incident like they're all the same.

But I was just pointing that out because you've criticized calling actual racist people racist in the past so I didn't know if this was one of those things again.

This thread is about a very specific type of person who, when they don’t get their way, resort to name calling.

Here’s an epiphany for you: you are racist.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:50 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

It doesn't surprise me that you'd try to change the conversation to the subconscious. We both know I'm not within the context of this discussion.

People who, when they don't get their way, resort to name calling are annoying. But your response to that seems to be that it's never ok to call someone a racist or white supremacist even when it's the truth. That's a strange response, imo.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
tommy wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
This type of thing is far more dangerous than anything that is happening from the extreme Right. It’s becoming mainstream.

Yep.

Again I say when the pendulum swings back to these folks 'on top', it's very likely it'll be worse than it is now.

Don Tiny: I think I was talking about this with you or Curious Hair like a year ago, but I think it has already swung, considering how many people hate hate hate intellectuals or professors or even teachers.

Board Members 39 or Older: Remember that one commercial advertising country's greatest hits in which there was a song called "We Were Swingin'"? Did they mean something else by "swinging," or did they mean the sort of gross activity? Weird commercial to put on at 4 pm during shows for kids. At least Freedom Rock was funny and had a few good tunes. Whenever I see the word swing, I think of this.

No ... what I mean is the extreme feminists/SJWs/whatevers will possibly make the world even more unlivable that we think it is now ... both extreme factions hate facts unless they're "their facts" ... the problem is it's kinda hard to envision level-headed sensible folk deciding "enough of you morons fucking it up for us" and blowing them all to Kingdom Come.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:58 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Nah. What this type of person is doing has nothing to do with knowledge, knowledge-generation, or rhetoric; it has to do with power and people who already think they have the answers.

It's not an argument. There's no way to respond. That's anti-learning.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:01 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
tommy wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
This type of thing is far more dangerous than anything that is happening from the extreme Right. It’s becoming mainstream.

Yep.

Again I say when the pendulum swings back to these folks 'on top', it's very likely it'll be worse than it is now.

Don Tiny: I think I was talking about this with you or Curious Hair like a year ago, but I think it has already swung, considering how many people hate hate hate intellectuals or professors or even teachers.

Board Members 39 or Older: Remember that one commercial advertising country's greatest hits in which there was a song called "We Were Swingin'"? Did they mean something else by "swinging," or did they mean the sort of gross activity? Weird commercial to put on at 4 pm during shows for kids. At least Freedom Rock was funny and had a few good tunes. Whenever I see the word swing, I think of this.

No ... what I mean is the extreme feminists/SJWs/whatevers will possibly make the world even more unlivable that we think it is now ... both extreme factions hate facts unless they're "their facts" ... the problem is it's kinda hard to envision level-headed sensible folk deciding "enough of you morons fucking it up for us" and blowing them all to Kingdom Come.

That is an unpleasant outcome.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
America wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
America wrote:
Gay marriage was a mistake. That was our chance to nip this whole thing in the bud, but everyone gave in and now the beast is loose. I admit I took the wrong side of that issue.

Everyone saying it was a slippery slope was right.

:lol: :lol:

Yeah letting people in love get married was a huge error.

We should've called it something else, or met them halfway on it somehow. Its crazy to really look back on it and realize the precedent it set. Never would've guessed, but I sure wont be fooled again.

What makes M/F marriage so special? Infidelity, abuse and divorce don't care about genders. The only thing that it does is possibly result in children and there are plenty of children out there for adoption.

Infidelity, abuse and divorce demean marriage. They don't make it special.

Do you pick the worst possible decision as an example for everything you do, or just in the case of marriage?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:04 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

It doesn't surprise me that you'd try to change the conversation to the subconscious. We both know I'm not within the context of this discussion.

People who, when they don't get their way, resort to name calling are annoying. But your response to that seems to be that it's never ok to call someone a racist or white supremacist even when it's the truth. That's a strange response, imo.

I’m not saying you use it as a weapon. I just think there are many who do. The word has practically lost all meaning. A racist used to be someone who literally came out and pledged their allegiance to their ethnicity above all other ethnicities. Italians hated Jews. Jews hated Africans. Irish hated Protestants and other sober people.

Now, a racist is someone who doesn’t agree with affirmative action or thinks people should stand for the national anthem or even begins to question whether a cop fired his gun out of self-defense or his hatred of minorities. It’s become absurd, and the word is nothing but a weapon anymore. It’s also used as an impediment to free speech. All one has to do is yell “racist!” to get someone suspended, if not fired, from their job.

Your example perfectly encapsulates the mindset, IMO. You have to use an extreme example of someone saying blacks are subhuman (something I can’t even say I’ve ever heard in my life on a serious level) to defend calling someone racist. When that actually happens at a major speech in 2017, you let me know and we can figure out how to drown out that guy’s voice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:07 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
America wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
America wrote:
Gay marriage was a mistake. That was our chance to nip this whole thing in the bud, but everyone gave in and now the beast is loose. I admit I took the wrong side of that issue.

Everyone saying it was a slippery slope was right.

:lol: :lol:

Yeah letting people in love get married was a huge error.

We should've called it something else, or met them halfway on it somehow. Its crazy to really look back on it and realize the precedent it set. Never would've guessed, but I sure wont be fooled again.

What makes M/F marriage so special? Infidelity, abuse and divorce don't care about genders. The only thing that it does is possibly result in children and there are plenty of children out there for adoption.

Infidelity, abuse and divorce demean marriage. They don't make it special.

Do you pick the worst possible decision as an example for everything you do, or just in the case of marriage?

Do you honestly not understand what he said or are you intentionally misrepresenting it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:09 pm 

I'm not concerned with drowning out the guys voice. I just also have no problem with calling someone who espouses bigoted opinions a bigot or racist or whatever.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
I'm not concerned with drowning out the guys voice. I just also have no problem with calling someone who espouses bigoted opinions a bigot or racist or whatever.

You tell him FF.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:16 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You tell him FF.

I'll let you finish setting him straight on the sanctity of marriage first. That's more important.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next