All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Laurence Holmes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Laurence Holmes‏Verified account
@LaurenceWHolmes
37m37 minutes ago
More
Good news for #Bears organization...they still have a lot of Stans that always side with whatever the TEAM says regardless of the 4 straight years of 10 losses or more. #ChicagoBrowns

Like the true Dan Bernstein playbook, always telling fans how they should feel about their team.

Post subject: Re: Laurence Holmes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:37 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Is he saying you should stop being a fan if your team is bad? The Bears have been run of the mill incompetent for awhile now but I agree, this is a really bad take.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:23 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Is he saying you should stop being a fan if your team is bad? The Bears have been run of the mill incompetent for awhile now but I agree, this is a really bad take.

Blind, absolutely loyal fandom equalled 108 years of losing, and now the Browns again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:16 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Blind, absolutely loyal fandom equalled 108 years of losing, and now the Browns again.

This is a bad, poorly thought out take. Shameful.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
bearfan76 wrote:
@LaurenceWHolmes
37m37 minutes ago
More
Good news for #Bears organization...they still have a lot of Stans that always side with whatever the TEAM says regardless of the 4 straight years of 10 losses or more. #ChicagoBrowns

This is coming from the guy who wants to be BFFs with Bears' players. Objectivity personified.

Last edited by Tad Queasy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:22 am 

FavreFan wrote:

I think its about blind loyalty. Every Bears fan should want Pace and Fox gone. I guess some don't?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:42 am 

It just occurred to me, is the "Stan" reference alluding to the crazy fan in the Eminem video?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:49 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Regular Reader wrote:
It just occurred to me, is the "Stan" reference alluding to the crazy fan in the Eminem video?

Yeah, this has been in use for quite some time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Regular Reader wrote:

This is the new Buzzword

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:51 am 

How dumb to use that reference assuming that everyone is familiar with horrible music.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Hockey Gay wrote:
How dumb to use that reference assuming that everyone is familiar with horrible music.

It's clearly anti-Polack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
tommy wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

It's clearly anti-Polack

sorry, i had no idea what the hell that tweet meant... so i'll take it as an insult to Polish people

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
tommy wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

It's clearly anti-Polack

Yep..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:42 am 

Cashman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

This is the new Buzzword

I really didn't know. Old age is a bitch

Please disregard my original post. Sports aren't that damn serious.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:50 am 

bearfan76 wrote:
@LaurenceWHolmes
37m37 minutes ago
More

Like the true Dan Bernstein playbook, always telling fans how they should feel about their team.

Is he wrong? NFL teams inspire blind loyalty to authority figures and the Bears are far from an exception.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:06 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
bearfan76 wrote:
@LaurenceWHolmes
37m37 minutes ago
More

Is he wrong? NFL teams inspire blind loyalty to authority figures and the Bears are far from an exception.

And some do do nothing but preach fealty to management.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
What in the blue hell is "Stan" supposed to mean?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Did you skip every post other than the first?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
He obviously meant "Stan" as in Stan Thomas, implying all Bears fans should be shot in the head in drive-by style. Pretty dark for LoHo, but hence the douchebagging.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:06 pm 

KDdidit wrote:

He's old too. Give him a pass.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
KDdidit wrote:

Oh shit; I didn't understand some dopey reference ... what a dreadful error on my part!

Stick to defending bad female broadcasters, deutschebank.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:25 pm 

It was a hit song 17 years ago!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:12 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I think its about blind loyalty. Every Bears fan should want Pace and Fox gone. I guess some don't?

The smart fans have wanted Fox gone since he got here.

I think there's an argument to keeping Pace. It's hard to accurately gauge the talent level of a team when they are playing for one of the worst coaching staffs in the NFL.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:07 pm 

Pace gets one coach hire that's truly his own, but this shit can't go on longer than two more years before everyone from Ted on down needs to be flushed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:10 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
The smart fans have wanted Fox gone since he got here.

Brings me back to the days where Scorehead celebrated the Fox hire and proclaimed the Bears have finally hired "A real damn coach!"

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:31 pm 

Scorehead was left standing in a puddle of his own juices at the sight of any Stern Father Figure coach.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:56 pm 

Dear Mrs. I'm Too Good to provide a championship team in last 30 goddamn years to my fans...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:10 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Pace gets one coach hire that's truly his own, but this shit can't go on longer than two more years before everyone from Ted on down needs to be flushed.
This is why as a GM you don't accept a job where you don't get to pick your coach. Now, you are in year 3, and you've been horrible at your job so far. You already got a coach fired. You have to go out and convince someone else "Hey, join up with me, and if we don't win in year 2 then I'm fired and you are working for a new GM or you are fired with me!". So now, coaches are going to choose any other place to coach and you are stuck with whatever coach has no other options and isn't willing to wait a year to see if someone else is interested.

If you were a betting man, the odds are incredibly high that Pace, if he keeps his job, is fired for poor performance in the next 2-3 years. His only real shot is if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky saves him, and even that draft pick looks stupid because he unnecessarily gave up a ton of picks(you know, things that help rebuilding teams) to get him.

Even if you keep him, you aren't more likely to succeed. There is absolutely no reason to believe he has a higher chance of success than whoever else you would get to replace him. The best argument for him is "Well, maybe he's not bad and a coach with a much bigger resume may just be bad!" which is certainly true but also not exactly comforting to know that we are blaming the guy who has taken two other teams to the Super Bowl over the guy that built good running back depth in a passing league!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:17 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
This is why as a GM you don't accept a job where you don't get to pick your coach. Now, you are in year 3, and you've been horrible at your job so far. You already got a coach fired. You have to go out and convince someone else "Hey, join up with me, and if we don't win in year 2 then I'm fired and you are working for a new GM or you are fired with me!". So now, coaches are going to choose any other place to coach and you are stuck with whatever coach has no other options and isn't willing to wait a year to see if someone else is interested.

If you were a betting man, the odds are incredibly high that Pace, if he keeps his job, is fired for poor performance in the next 2-3 years. His only real shot is if (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky saves him, and even that draft pick looks stupid because he unnecessarily gave up a ton of picks(you know, things that help rebuilding teams) to get him.

Even if you keep him, you aren't more likely to succeed. There is absolutely no reason to believe he has a higher chance of success than whoever else you would get to replace him. The best argument for him is "Well, maybe he's not bad and a coach with a much bigger resume may just be bad!" which is certainly true but also not exactly comforting to know that we are blaming the guy who has taken two other teams to the Super Bowl over the guy that built good running back depth in a passing league!

You're absolutely right. God, what a mess.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:36 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

What are these “incredibly high odds” and are you willing to give them?

If (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky sucks(looking increasingly like the case) then of course he is fired. If Mitch can improve to just slightly below average, then it’s not gonna take much more than a new coach and playmaker WR to make this team a contender, which would mean he’s keeping his job more than two more years.

To rock my soul