It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Laurence Holmes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
What has he done?

Well like you said he invested a lot of resources in (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. So I don’t really understand how you can still think (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky might be great and also dismiss the fact Pace invested a lot in him.

The defense is pretty good even when playing through injuries.

Howard is an elite RB drafted in the 5th round. Cohen looks like a great playmaker drafted in the 4th. I wouldn’t dismiss this as “getting Rb depth”. This is getting game changing players in rounds where you hope to get guys to round out special teams and backup spots.

I think Pace has provided mixed results so far, and I don’t think it would be unfair to fire him, but I keep going back to it being impossible to fairly evaluate him if he was indeed stuck with one of the worst coaches in the nfl.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:12 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
What has he done?

Clear the deck for yet another NFL dinosaur to make big checks to soothe Bear fans' heartburn. Unfortunately.

Bill Polian, your table is ready.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:15 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
What has he done?

Well like you said he invested a lot of resources in (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. So I don’t really understand how you can still think (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky might be great and also dismiss the fact Pace invested a lot in him.

The defense is pretty good even when playing through injuries.

Howard is an elite RB drafted in the 5th round. Cohen looks like a great playmaker drafted in the 4th. I wouldn’t dismiss this as “getting Rb depth”. This is getting game changing players in rounds where you hope to get guys to round out special teams and backup spots.

I think Pace has provided mixed results so far, and I don’t think it would be unfair to fire him, but I keep going back to it being impossible to fairly evaluate him if he was indeed stuck with one of the worst coaches in the nfl.

So paid too much for (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky, did a pretty good defense that isn't ranked as anything but average, and found two quality running backs.

I trust someone else can do that well if he is fired.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:23 pm 

Again, Howard isn’t a quality RB. He’s a great, elite, game changing RB. He’s one of the top 3 or 4 pure runners in the nfl and he was drafted in the 5th round.

Same with Cohen. He’s a great 2nd option, COP back, and one of the most feared returners in the league.

If you keep dismissing the above as RB depth, it damages your credibility in these discussions.

The secondary has played very well, despite investing very little resources in it.

Meredith was very good last year, and losing #1 WRs impacts even great offenses as we saw with Jordy Nelson a couple years ago.

Your description/evaluation of Pace is either lazy or wrong. Like I said, I wouldn’t even say it’s wrong to fire him, you’ve just made a very weak case so far.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:45 pm 

Quote:
The Ringer‏@ringer
The Bears traded their 67th pick to move up for Mitchell (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky ... that 67th overall pick was eventually used to select Alvin Kamara

Granted they probably do not take him, but just the idea they gave up a bunch of extra picks for guy they get at 3 is ridiculous.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:25 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Again, Howard isn’t a quality RB. He’s a great, elite, game changing RB. He’s one of the top 3 or 4 pure runners in the nfl and he was drafted in the 5th round.

Same with Cohen. He’s a great 2nd option, COP back, and one of the most feared returners in the league.

If you keep dismissing the above as RB depth, it damages your credibility in these discussions.

The secondary has played very well, despite investing very little resources in it.

Meredith was very good last year, and losing #1 WRs impacts even great offenses as we saw with Jordy Nelson a couple years ago.

Your description/evaluation of Pace is either lazy or wrong. Like I said, I wouldn’t even say it’s wrong to fire him, you’ve just made a very weak case so far.

So you don't think I'm wrong to want him fired. This is a great use of time then.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:28 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

So you don't think I'm wrong to want him fired. This is a great use of time then.

What wasn’t clear in this thread? I thought it was obvious I disagreed with you saying every bear fan should want Pace fired.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:45 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

What wasn’t clear in this thread? I thought it was obvious I disagreed with you saying every bear fan should want Pace fired.

He's learning on the job, and I've never been a fan, but the Glennon contract, no WRs or OL depth has to mandate his firing since (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky will probably still be an unknown in 18 months.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:46 pm 

I know OL in general is very important but it’s tough to knock a GM for OL depth.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:18 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
I know OL in general is very important but it’s tough to knock a GM for OL depth.

To reference your Redskins talk :wink: they found plenty in their 10 years run :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:28 pm 

It’s a little easier when players aren’t allowed to leave :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:47 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
It’s a little easier when players aren’t allowed to leave :lol:

True. But which sterling o linemen have left the Bear in the last two years

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:34 am 

FavreFan wrote:

He actually had nice OL depth going into training camp with a good starting five and backups like Kush and Compton. It just got depleted quickly.

His worst sin was WR. I was on board with letting Alshon walk for various reasons. However, the response should not have been to sign Wheaton for a relatively big contract.

Meredith getting hurt brought down the whole house of cards that was the Bear WR group.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Are you worried about broadcasting instability by firing two general managers after three years apiece? As bad as Pace has been, that's Brownsesque.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

He actually had nice OL depth going into training camp with a good starting five and backups like Kush and Compton. It just got depleted quickly.

His worst sin was WR. I was on board with letting Alshon walk for various reasons. However, the response should not have been to sign Wheaton for a relatively big contract.

Meredith getting hurt brought down the whole house of cards that was the Bear WR group.

Yes, preseason the o line was considered a strength.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:42 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Are you worried about broadcasting instability by firing two general managers after three years apiece? As bad as Pace has been, that's Brownsesque.

Not really. We are doing it with coaches and it's not going to be a big deal.

Sell a GM a young quarterback, an "elite running game", the ability to have the coaching hire of their choice, and you'll get them to overlook that we fired a GM with a .333 winning percentage.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You have no credibility when you hire a search firm to find a guy to tell you who to hire.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:46 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Not really. We are doing it with coaches and it's not going to be a big deal.

Sell a GM a young quarterback, an "elite running game", the ability to have the coaching hire of their choice, and you'll get them to overlook that we fired a GM with a .333 winning percentage.

What if the best GM candidate thinks Mitch is not a future franchise QB and wants to dump him?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:47 pm 

That's fine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Some really awful sports take by FavreFan up in here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:09 pm 

So Pace should be fired would make some happy. Seems rash to me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:22 pm 

pittmike wrote:

Not any more rash than firing Fox.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Not any more rash than firing Fox.

I think most people would disagree with this. I hear a lot more people calling for Fox to be fired than Pace.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:35 pm 

I think normally the GM gets a longer window. Especially with the Mitch pick. Which regardless of the draft picks traded I think Rick wanted. A new QB with a high first round grade.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:02 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I think normally the GM gets a longer window. Especially with the Mitch pick. Which regardless of the draft picks traded I think Rick wanted. A new QB with a high first round grade.

(Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is why I want the best guy possible at GM rather than a guy who sucks but maybe won't always suck if we dump Fox.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:04 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

(Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is why I want the best guy possible at GM

Because he gave up two mid round picks to ensure he got his guy?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:06 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

You don't think it's wrong to want him fired so our work is done.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:08 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

You don't think it's wrong to want him fired so our work is done.

:lol: :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
FavreFan wrote:
Again, Howard isn’t a quality RB. He’s a great, elite, game changing RB. He’s one of the top 3 or 4 pure runners in the nfl

But evidently not a Pro Bowler.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:44 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Again, Howard isn’t a quality RB. He’s a great, elite, game changing RB. He’s one of the top 3 or 4 pure runners in the nfl

But evidently not a Pro Bowler.

Yeah, it's tough to make it as a pure runner on a bad team nowadays. Ingram, Gurley, and Kamara are all very good at supplementing their numbers with receiving stats..

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next