It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: GMO Opponents
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
FavreFan wrote:
tommy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Arguing against GMO's is as foolish as arguing against Global Warming or vaccines as both are backed by science and have the same general consensus amongst the scientists in the given fields.

To be clear, I'm not arguing against them as much as I'm asserting my distrust of the companies that claim they're completely safe.

I don't think it's companies you distrust. It's the scientific community.

As Ogie said, it's no different than denying global warming.

Mitch Daniels is a scientist?

Did anyone say he was?

The scientific concesus is that GMO's are not harmful. Do you disagree with that? If so, I would advise searching Google as it will probably save us both time here. Not trying to be condescending or a dick but as the author said, the science is emphatic.

Pullin' a DiCaro!! smh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:06 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
tommy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Arguing against GMO's is as foolish as arguing against Global Warming or vaccines as both are backed by science and have the same general consensus amongst the scientists in the given fields.

To be clear, I'm not arguing against them as much as I'm asserting my distrust of the companies that claim they're completely safe.

I don't think it's companies you distrust. It's the scientific community.

As Ogie said, it's no different than denying global warming.

Mitch Daniels is a scientist?

Did anyone say he was?

The scientific concesus is that GMO's are not harmful. Do you disagree with that? If so, I would advise searching Google as it will probably save us both time here. Not trying to be condescending or a dick but as the author said, the science is emphatic.

The author has less credibility than anyone posting in this thread

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
tommy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I don't quite understand this response.

To the first part... of course I admitted I don't know much about GMOs. Nobody in this thread does. We all just read what experts in the field have to say and make our own determinations. I'm good with trusting the scientific community though. You're gonna need a better response if you aren't.

To the second part.. Not sure how to respond to that. The author made his thesis crystal clear.

1) Well, I know a little about it.

2) I'm saying the author is full of shit. He doesn't give a shit about people in Africa. It's a childish argument he's using. I know he doesn't give a shit because I know what the guy has voted for. Bad faith. He does not come across as very trustworthy or as expert.

1.) You have yet to display that knowledge in anything resembling a counter argument to the article. Ogie and I have been waiting and requesting a counterargument.

2.) The message is invalid because I don't like the messenger. Got it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:07 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I'm not talking about cross pollinating, nobody is concerned about outcrossing ..it's the insecticides being sewn in( that's Monsanto) and they were the first.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Because we all know that we can't trust the National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine :roll:

https://allianceforscience.cornell.edu/ ... ebate-over

You know, they also are strongly in favor of moving off of fossil fuels, but I guess the checks from Exxon haven't cleared, despite their revenue being 10x Monsanto's. :roll:

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Don’t confuse non gmo with organic. There are plenty of conventional crops grown that are non gmo that are non organic as well. And most grow well within yield trials when it comes to grains. For that matter, mistvorganic farnets I know yield very well. If you want to help stRving people in Africa and India I’m not so sure GMO or even the Soy/corn nutrition complex is the right answer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:13 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Because we all know that we can't trust the National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine :roll:

You know, they also are strongly in favor of moving off of fossil fuels, but I guess the checks from Exxon haven't cleared, despite their revenue being 10x Monsanto's. :roll:

Yup. Like I said at the very beginning, if you’re conflating Monsanto and GMOs, you’re gonna have a bad time.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:15 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Don’t confuse non gmo with organic. There are plenty of conventional crops grown that are non gmo that are non organic as well. And most grow well within yield trials when it comes to grains. For that matter, mistvorganic farnets I know yield very well. If you want to help stRving people in Africa and India I’m not so sure GMO or even the Soy/corn nutrition complex is the right answer.

If we are talking about growing crops in India and Africa, I don’t think any solution other than GMOs is tenable.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:15 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
tommy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

To the first part... of course I admitted I don't know much about GMOs. Nobody in this thread does. We all just read what experts in the field have to say and make our own determinations. I'm good with trusting the scientific community though. You're gonna need a better response if you aren't.

To the second part.. Not sure how to respond to that. The author made his thesis crystal clear.

2) I'm saying the author is full of shit. He doesn't give a shit about people in Africa. It's a childish argument he's using. I know he doesn't give a shit because I know what the guy has voted for. Bad faith. He does not come across as very trustworthy or as expert.

1.) You have yet to display that knowledge in anything resembling a counter argument to the article. Ogie and I have been waiting and requesting a counterargument.

We'll have to disagree about 1), but 2) is something that has been established in the West since classical Greece. I'm not saying I don't like the messenger, either. I'm saying he has no credibility.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:17 pm 

tommy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
tommy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

We'll have to disagree about 1), but 2) is something that has been established in the West since classical Greece. I'm not saying I don't like the messenger, either. I'm saying he has no credibility.

I just read the article. I wouldn’t know Mitch Daniels from Mitch (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky if they both passed me on the street. If you take issue with Daniels then just go with the National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine source Ogie linked to. Or another one of the countless sources from academica that support GMOs.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:21 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
tommy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
tommy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I just read the article. I wouldn’t know Mitch Daniels from Mitch (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky if they both passed me on the street. If you take issue with Daniels then just go with the National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine source Ogie linked to. Or another one of the countless sources from academica that support GMOs.

So why start the thread with that hack's piece?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:22 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
tommy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
tommy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

So why start the thread with that hack's piece?

Because I've read about the issue for years and knew the author was telling the truth about the scientific community backing him. Not much else to worry about.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:32 pm 

Europeans seem really against GMOs. I'm not really sure what their arguments are.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:42 pm 

Here's a link from one of the most liberal websites on the internet confirming what Ogie and I are saying:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jon-enti ... 72130.html

Quote:
In sharp contrast to public views about GMOs, 89% of scientists believe genetically modified foods are safe.

That’s the most eye-opening finding in a Pew Research Center study on science literacy, undertaken in cooperation with the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), and released on January 29.

The overwhelming scientific consensus exceeds the percentage of scientists, 88%, who think humans are mostly responsible for climate change.

Here's another one from a university.

Quote:
The GMO debate is over — again. Last week, the prestigious National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine issued what is probably the most far-reaching report ever produced by the scientific community on genetically engineered food and crops. The conclusion was unambiguous: Having examined hundreds of scientific papers written on the subject, sat through hours of live testimony from activists and considered hundreds more comments from the general public, the scientists wrote that they "found no substantiated evidence that foods from GE crops were less safe than foods from non-GE crops."

At some point, people will need to stop attacking the messengers and address the message.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:00 am 

I have no issues with people remaining skeptical despite some of these credentialed links. I get it, and appreciate skepticism more than most I would imagine. But it's as clear as day that you can't claim the left is the "party of science" because of climate change and then proceed to disagree with the assertion that GMOs are safe. Those two opinions don't compute.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:06 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
If your against GMO then you might as well not vaccinate your kids and start teaching them the Earth is flat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:09 am 

tommy wrote:
Europeans seem really against GMOs. I'm not really sure what their arguments are.

Aside from their food looking and tasting different/better, I don't either.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:09 am 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
If your against GMO then you might as well not vaccinate your kids and start teaching them the Earth is flat.

Any responsible parent is also going to warn their kid against Mole People.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:10 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
tommy wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"It's cold outside today. Global warming doesn't exist".

You just said that my man.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:12 am 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:

I don't think that anyone here has come out against gmos per se, just still with a healthy skepticism of their biggest and most zealous corporate proponents.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:13 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
tommy wrote:

If that's what I said, Monsanto has your hearing aids.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:14 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

I don't think that anyone here has come out against gmos per se, just still with a healthy skepticism of their biggest and most zealous corporate proponents.

Can't claim a "healthy" skepticism when the skepticism has amounted to "Who's bribing the scientists?" and "I've been to Europe once. Food tastes better there. GMOs = bad"

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:15 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Regular Reader wrote:
tommy wrote:

That's stupid.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:15 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
tommy wrote:

If that's what I said, Monsanto has your hearing aids.

I denounced Monsanto almost immediately after creating this thread. You need to come up with a better rebuttal to be taken seriously on this particular issue. This thread is already 3.5 pages long and nobody has offered one rebuttal yet.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Can't claim a "healthy" skepticism when the skepticism has amounted to "Who's bribing the scientists?" and "I've been to Europe once. Food tastes better there. GMOs = bad"

I never realized how bad FF is at summarizing his opponent's arguments.

He has, at long last, lost his cool.

Ima pray for ya.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:19 am 

tommy wrote:

They have enviromental and health concerns, also the rampant scientific fraud concerns. How many Monsanto employees have moved into government positions or vice versa in this country? Those are the loudest and most aggressive gmo proponents.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:20 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
tommy wrote:

They're also largely against dental care.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:21 am 

I betcha FF would have been telling me agent orange was harmless 50 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:22 am 

tommy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

I never realized how bad FF is at summarizing his opponent's arguments.

He has, at long last, lost his cool.

Ima pray for ya.

Losing my cool? That implies a loss of composure/getting agitated. I’m in a great mood. I was restating two of the objections to this thread. That’s all.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:22 am 

312player wrote:
I betcha FF would have been telling me agent orange was harmless 50 years ago.

Unlikely. I’m sorry you deny scientific consensus.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next