It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:36 pm
Posts: 10555
Spends her life on an anti gambling crusade, wins 25k gambling,

By Robert McCoppin

Kathy Gilroy has crusaded against gambling in Illinois for decades, speaking out against casinos, illegal raffles and the recent wave of video poker cafes.

As one of the most visible gaming opponents in the state, she has warned that the vice erodes society’s values and work ethic, takes money from poor people and can lead to addiction, bankruptcy, crime and suicide.

Just this year, she blew the whistle on a $1.6 million Queen of Hearts raffle put on by the Veterans of Foreign Wars post in rural Morris, forcing it to shut down hours before the planned drawing, until the raffle was properly licensed.

So even she concedes it may seem ironic that she recently won $25,000 by playing a sweepstakes game at a gambling cafe in her hometown of Villa Park.

“I called a pastor friend, and said, ‘Oh my God, should I send it back? What do I do? Do I donate it?’” she said. “He said, ‘Don’t feel guilty. You just got paid for all your volunteer work against gambling.’ It’s God showing his grace on me.”

Despite her longtime anti-gambling activism, it turns out Gilroy has a history of playing and winning sweepstakes. She said she’s landed prizes including electronics and trips to the Bahamas and California. She once won a big-screen TV from a mechanic, but asked instead for $1,000 in service. A week later, her transmission went out, and she quickly got her money’s worth.

She’ll even play the video poker machines at gambling cafes if she is given a free promo card.

The distinction Gilroy makes is that she was not spending her own money to gamble. She enters sweepstakes because, by state law, they must be made available free of charge. And — unlike the VFW game that was not licensed, as required by law — she says the sweepstakes she plays are perfectly legal.

Still, Morris VFW Commander Jerry Zeborowski was perplexed to hear that Gilroy had won a sweepstakes.

“It’s ironic that someone who’s anti-gambling would enter something like that,” he said. “That’s a little hypocrisy there, don’t you think?”

Gilroy, 68, who works selling supplemental health insurance for people on Medicare, shrugs off the negative comments she’s gotten over the years, such as when she succeeded in halting a raffle to raise money for needy college students because it was unlicensed and not put on by a nonprofit, as required by law.

But she admitted she did have to think twice about this situation.

She worried that her winnings were proceeds from money that people lost gambling, but decided that it comes out of the profits of the parent company, Laredo Hospitality Ventures.

Gilroy said she was raised on a farm near Lost Nation, Iowa, in a family that never had much money. She worked her way through school, and traveled to fairs and trade shows around the country, selling everything from books to blenders.

Decades ago, she used to gamble at racetracks, she said. But her attitude towards gambling started to change when she won $700, only to lose it back swiftly to the track.

She took part in an anti-gambling seminar by the Rev. Tom Grey, leader of the National Coalition Against Legalized Gambling, formed in 1994. She began speaking out against any effort to expand gambling, including most recently with video poker cafes, which have grown to offer more than 24,000 machines statewide.

Last year, as one example, she asked the Lincolnwood Village Board to reject a request to lift its ban on video gambling. At issue was a proposal by Laredo Hospitality to open a Stella’s Cafe — the same Des Plaines company and gambling parlor chain through which Gilroy ended up winning her drawing.

As Gilroy tells it, she heard about the sweepstakes after signing up for the gambling cafes’ emails. After every fifth visit to a cafe, she got a scratch-off card, which occasionally won her a $5 card to play the machines or entries for the grand prize, a new Ford Mustang convertible.

Finalists were drawn from each of Laredo’s 52 locations in Illinois, and Gilroy was one of them. Winners had to be present, so she attended the grand prize drawing at a restaurant in Rosemont on Dec. 16.

She drew No. 7, and when her number was pulled from a fishbowl, she was amazed to hear that she had won. She opted for $25,000 in cash instead of a car, and has already bought some stocks with the money.

To get the winnings, Gilroy had to sign an agreement to let Laredo take her photo and use it as they wish — so she might end up promoting the very industry she fights.

Laredo officials didn’t return calls for comment, and didn’t allow the Tribune to take Gilroy’s picture inside the Stella’s in Villa Park, so they may not be eager to use her as their poster child.

Years ago, just before she quit betting on the ponies, Gilroy said, she looked around and was struck by the smoke and the broken-down players at the track.

“I said, ‘What am I doing?’ This is so stupid,’” she recalled. “It dawned on me, this is not the lifestyle I want. I don’t want to even associate with these people.”

Still, after all these years, after shutting down numerous illegal raffles and raising awareness statewide that raffles need to be locally licensed, Gilroy said she takes advantage of sweepstakes whenever she can.

“It’s the gambling I oppose,” she said, “not the sweepstakes.”

_________________
Frank Coztansa wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Not over yet.
Yes it is.


long time guy wrote:
(OKC) will be the #2 seed in the West due to these 2 moves. Watch out world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:50 pm
Posts: 2327
pizza_Place: AL'S in Warrenville
Shutting down a VFW? Fuck off and die bitch.

_________________
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Have a terrible night and die in MANY fires.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 43912
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Shutting down a VFW? Fuck off and die bitch.

Yup. I mean this is standard hypocritical politician behavior but you really have to be a miserable fuck to go that far in your bullshit.

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:50 pm
Posts: 2327
pizza_Place: AL'S in Warrenville
FavreFan wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Shutting down a VFW? Fuck off and die bitch.

Yup. I mean this is standard hypocritical politician behavior but you really have to be a miserable fuck to go that far in your bullshit.


I don't understand I'm against gambling but ok with sweepstakes. This woman is delusional on top of being miserable.

Some could argue selling supplemental Medicare insurance is just another game of chance.

_________________
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Have a terrible night and die in MANY fires.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:58 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 am
Posts: 42804
Location: Chicago Heights
pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Quote:
Years ago, just before she quit betting on the ponies, Gilroy said, she looked around and was struck by the smoke and the broken-down players at the track.

“I said, ‘What am I doing?’ This is so stupid,’” she recalled. “It dawned on me, this is not the lifestyle I want. I don’t want to even associate with these people.”


Funny. I felt exactly the same way the last time I attended Catholic mass.

_________________
We acknowledge that we are on the traditional territory of bigfan, slumlord, and denisdman.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 54627
Location: To the left of my post
Her pastor sounds like a moron.

_________________
You do not talk to me like that! I work too hard to deal with this stuff! I work too hard! I'm an important member of the CSFMB! I drive a Dodge Stratus!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:50 am
Posts: 8185
Location: Schaumburg
pizza_Place: Palermo's
This woman is such a hypocrite/shithead on so many levels she's like a combination of Rob Sherman and Julie DiCaro types of people.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 54627
Location: To the left of my post
Why would religions be against gambling? They want you to bet 10% of your salary that they are the correct answer for getting into Heaven. I like my odds better playing the lottery.

_________________
You do not talk to me like that! I work too hard to deal with this stuff! I work too hard! I'm an important member of the CSFMB! I drive a Dodge Stratus!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:10 am
Posts: 34242
Location: Rock Ridge (splendid!)
pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
conns7901 wrote:
“I called a pastor friend, and said, ‘Oh my God, should I send it back? What do I do? Do I donate it?’” she said. “He said, ‘Don’t feel guilty. You just got paid for all your volunteer work against gambling.’ It’s God showing his grace on me.”

The fuck?

_________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been ... nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.
- Isaac Asimov


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:05 pm
Posts: 48508
pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Shutting down a VFW? Fuck off and die bitch.


I didn't think she shut down the VFW. Just their Queen of Hearts deal until they got their license or whatever.

And yes she's a NASTY WOMAN who should be publicly pilloried by MANY.

_________________
Seacrest wrote:
If presented with a fact(s) that I do not like, I'll tell myself it's false.


chaspoppcap wrote:
You seem to have a hard on for me and I probably desire it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:05 pm
Posts: 48508
pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Don Tiny wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
“I called a pastor friend, and said, ‘Oh my God, should I send it back? What do I do? Do I donate it?’” she said. “He said, ‘Don’t feel guilty. You just got paid for all your volunteer work against gambling.’ It’s God showing his grace on me.”

The fuck?


That's what's known as the Hypocritical Religious Person. A rare breed to be sure. Only eclipsed in scarcity by the elusive Hypocritical Politician.

_________________
Seacrest wrote:
If presented with a fact(s) that I do not like, I'll tell myself it's false.


chaspoppcap wrote:
You seem to have a hard on for me and I probably desire it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:10 am
Posts: 34242
Location: Rock Ridge (splendid!)
pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Some could argue selling supplemental Medicare insurance is just another game of chance.

MANY do. Not me though ... God created financial collectives and compound interest too.

_________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been ... nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.
- Isaac Asimov


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:57 am 
Offline
1000 CLUB
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:17 pm
Posts: 60358
Location: Suburbs FTW!
pizza_Place: SWEET BABY RAY"S?
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
“I called a pastor friend, and said, ‘Oh my God, should I send it back? What do I do? Do I donate it?’” she said. “He said, ‘Don’t feel guilty. You just got paid for all your volunteer work against gambling.’ It’s God showing his grace on me.”

The fuck?
That's what's known as the Hypocritical Religious Person. A rare breed to be sure. Only eclipsed in scarcity by the elusive Hypocritical Politician.
Yep;
Quote:
Still, after all these years, after shutting down numerous illegal raffles and raising awareness statewide that raffles need to be locally licensed, Gilroy said she takes advantage of sweepstakes whenever she can.

“It’s the gambling I oppose,” she said, “not the sweepstakes.”

_________________
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
First off, the [2016 Cubs World Series] title was never a huge deal to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 54627
Location: To the left of my post
God works in mysterious ways, and one of those ways is video poker winnings from free play cards.

_________________
You do not talk to me like that! I work too hard to deal with this stuff! I work too hard! I'm an important member of the CSFMB! I drive a Dodge Stratus!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:10 pm
Posts: 22601
pizza_Place: ......
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why would religions be against gambling? They want you to bet 10% of your salary that they are the correct answer for getting into Heaven. I like my odds better playing the lottery.



:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kathy Gilroy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:29 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:07 am
Posts: 952
pizza_Place: aurelios
And I fucking bet another fiver goes in the machine if the she loses the free fiver.

Got a bitch in Plainfield that is the same way!!

_________________
http://katie-oconnors.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group