It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:22 am 

My goodness, what a mind numbingly, boring sport.

The best team in the world averaged 2.5 goals per game. Marone!

Post subject: Re: Soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: John's
100% agree. Soccer fans are the ones still wearing masks at Grocery stores.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: Lucky Lil's
Its a stupid sport at the club level and the American fanbase is exactly this
Caller Bob wrote:

but international soccer is pretty awesome for all that goes into it. Its a shame soccer caught on when cricket and rugby are both way better sports.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:31 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The Great Northern wrote:
Its a shame soccer caught on when cricket and rugby are both way better sports.
I would rather get a tooth extracted than sit through any one of those games. Watching the grass grow on the field those sports are played on is more interesting.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:33 am 

I know real football has some of this but like half the exciting plays in soccer end up not counting because the player was half a foot ahead of the defender and the whole play doesn't count because of the terrible crime of a player being faster towards the goal than the defender.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:39 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I would rather get a tooth extracted than sit through any one of those games. Watching the grass grow on the field those sports are played on is more interesting.

I get that test cricket is not always great and is really more still played because its a good in-person experience and is still the "purest form", but international ODI's are very good and club T20 is pretty exciting. I dont see how anyone could be bored by rugby.

Nothing is on the level of football. Just for the strategy alone its an entirely different level than any other sport. Makes everything else feel like a schoolyard game.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:43 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

I get that test cricket is not always great and is really more still played because its a good in-person experience and is still the "purest form", but international ODI's are very good and club T20 is pretty exciting. I dont see how anyone could be bored by rugby.

Nothing is on the level of football. Just for the strategy alone its an entirely different level than any other sport. Makes everything else feel like a schoolyard game.

football and rugby are two sports that are the best approximations for war. Maybe approximation is the wrong word but they are war games in how they are coached and played

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:05 am 

good dolphin wrote:
football and rugby are two sports that are the best approximations for war. Maybe approximation is the wrong word but they are war games in how they are coached and played

Rugby is the most truly competitive international sport. Every continent is putting out incredible sides, not just Oceania and Europe. The best side in the world, by a significant margin, is the Boks. Argentina's Jaguares were unequivocally the second-best SuperRugby squad before the league collapsed. Japan isn't just an also-ran anymore, they can compete with anyone aside from the All Blacks and Boks.

Wish the USA would get it together at rugby. We're getting there, I get that they are focusing on sevens right now and building it up. It is a sport that would catch on if the USA could put together a competitive side.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Still miss my Australian rules football at 11pm on pbs every weekend. Never figured out what was going on entirely but it was exciting. Not sure why iptv picked it up but it was a good watch.

I don't mind soccer. I couldn't watch much yesterday because the weather had knocked out the dish and frankly, Im not making the time for sports much at all these days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Sounds like someone’s bitter Poland didn’t make it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
good dolphin wrote:

Rugby is the most truly competitive international sport. Every continent is putting out incredible sides, not just Oceania and Europe. The best side in the world, by a significant margin, is the Boks. Argentina's Jaguares were unequivocally the second-best SuperRugby squad before the league collapsed. Japan isn't just an also-ran anymore, they can compete with anyone aside from the All Blacks and Boks.

Wish the USA would get it together at rugby. We're getting there, I get that they are focusing on sevens right now and building it up. It is a sport that would catch on if the USA could put together a competitive side.

need more rugby talk around here

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Bagels wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

need more rugby talk around here

How 'bout those scrums. Light it up Chicago

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:16 am 

After the break we’re going to give you a list of the 10 best hookers of the 90’s!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:27 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Brick wrote:
I know real football has some of this but like half the exciting plays in soccer end up not counting because the player was half a foot ahead of the defender and the whole play doesn't count because of the terrible crime of a player being faster towards the goal than the defender.

That's called offside, Rick. It's really not a hard rule to obey. I'm honestly shocked how often guys at the top level get caught offside.

I played for a long time. It's second nature for me to just make sure there is a defender other than the goalie between me and the net if I don't have the ball.

I played with some Mexicans that I worked with and it was weird that they didn't recognize the offside rule at all. Offensive players would set up shop in front of the net. Maybe that's just street ball as it's played in some poor barrio where these guys came from. I don't know. I just know that isn't how I was taught.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:34 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:

That's called offside, Rick. It's really not a hard rule to obey. I'm honestly shocked how often guys at the top level get caught offside.

I played for a long time. It's second nature for me to just make sure there is a defender other than the goalie between me and the net if I don't have the ball.

I played with some Mexicans that I worked with and it was weird that they didn't recognize the offside rule at all. Offensive players would set up shop in front of the net. Maybe that's just street ball as it's played in some poor barrio where these guys came from. I don't know. I just know that isn't how I was taught.
I guess my point is that in a game where so little actually happens(I know, midfield play is art or something) that half the plays being blown dead because the offensive player started running towards the goal half a second earlier than the defender did isn't something that is enjoyable.

As I said though, there are some things about real football that are probably similar but at least you aren't waiting 10 minutes to see an exciting play only to have the ref put his hand in the air and send the game to another minute of people passing the ball back and forth in the middle of the field.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:36 am 

That kind of stuff happens when it’s a sport and not a TV show!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:44 am 

Brick wrote:
I guess my point is that in a game where so little actually happens(I know, midfield play is art or something) that half the plays being blown dead because the offensive player started running towards the goal half a second earlier than the defender did isn't something that is enjoyable.

As I said though, there are some things about real football that are probably similar but at least you aren't waiting 10 minutes to see an exciting play only to have the ref put his hand in the air and send the game to another minute of people passing the ball back and forth in the middle of the field.

Well you need the rule because that midfield play would be even more stifling if you had the forwards all cherry picking. It would be gridlock in the center of the field. The sport is already obscenely risk-averse, binning offsides would just make it more so. From the time Italy equalized both sides were absolutely content going to penalty kicks, so the ensuing hour of rote going-through-the-motions while everyone waited for the inevitable basically put everyone to sleep.

Its a deeply flawed game at a fundamental level. It has basically been broken by park-the-bus and flopping tactics but nobody is willing to make even minor alterations to the rules to stop them. Say what you will about the NFL's (mostly failed) attempt to ignite offense with rules changes, at least they are reactive. Sometimes its stupid (replay for PI), but other times they have really made the game better. Eliminating the force-out rule is a huge example of a minor change that made the NFL a much better sport.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
There are probably things they can try to up action and reduce flopping but a large portion of the world doesn't see it as the US market does so the impetus to change it up isn't as important. The flopping and writhing for trying to get a card on someone or if nothing else to break momentum or get a breather is annoying. To me it's not even the scoring or lack there of that is the problem it is the lack of legit chances to score.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
they need to introduce a 3 point shot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:56 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
That is one thing I wish American sports would adapt. I think it would be awesome if a manager came out of the dugout in a huff only to have the umpire walk right up to him, not say a word, and hold up a colored card right in front of the manager's face.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:01 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
There are probably things they can try to up action and reduce flopping but a large portion of the world doesn't see it as the US market does so the impetus to change it up isn't as important. The flopping and writhing for trying to get a card on someone or if nothing else to break momentum or get a breather is annoying. To me it's not even the scoring or lack there of that is the problem it is the lack of legit chances to score.

Haha...Fix soccer!...There's no fixing it.

You know how they fixed boxing? They invented UFC.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Its a stupid sport at the club level and the American fanbase is exactly this
Caller Bob wrote:

but international soccer is pretty awesome for all that goes into it. Its a shame soccer caught on when cricket and rugby are both way better sports.

Rugby sucks, but 7v7 rugby is AMAZING! Easily my favorite thing to watch at the last Olympics. Can't wait to see it again next month assuming it is still in the Olympics.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nardi wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

There's a pretty easy fix for soccer. Just introduce a 2nd ball. Would liven up the action quite a bit.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:27 pm 

Red cards for flopping. Yellow cards for stalling.

Sport fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:28 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

There's a pretty easy fix for soccer. Just introduce a 2nd ball. Would liven up the action quite a bit.

Always the anarchist, aren't you?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
High level soccer like big games in the premier league is watchable for me. I can appreciate the skill involved. I don't go out of my way to watch it though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
If your championship is decided by what is basically a shootout, your sport sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:59 pm 

If your championship is decided by someone doing something, your sports sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I think they should make a number of transformative rule changes to make this game more watchable for me specifically.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I think they should make a number of transformative rule changes to make this game more watchable for me specifically.

Chicks with dicks, playing women's soccer?