It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Bears fans
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:37 am 

You were defending Pace right up to Fox being fired. You knew Mitch sucked then and yet you didn't think it was right to want him fired.

If Mitch sucks as you say then Pace deserves to be fired for that pick and many other bad moves.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You were defending Pace right up to Fox being fired. You knew Mitch sucked then and yet you didn't think it was right to want him fired.

If Mitch sucks as you say then Pace deserves to be fired for that pick and many other bad moves.

I already agreed with the last part of your post and yet you still want to argue :lol:

Interestingly enough, if you think Mitch will still be good, which you do, it’s a lot easier to make the case for Pace to get that 2 year extension.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:17 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I already agreed with the last part of your post and yet you still want to argue :lol:

Interestingly enough, if you think Mitch will still be good, which you do, it’s a lot easier to make the case for Pace to get that 2 year extension.

I apologize. I didn't realize you jumped on the Fire Pace bandwagon.

Mitch being good doesn't save Pace. His draft day trade for him cost the Bears picks they could have used on offense. With his signings and draft picks I think someone else could give Mitch the best chance to succeed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:22 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Mitch being good doesn't save Pace. His draft day trade for him cost the Bears picks they could have used on offense. With his signings and draft picks I think someone else could give Mitch the best chance to succeed.

Yeah but if Mitch is good, you can excuse that and if he's great that stuff doesn't matter at all. It's impossible to overstate the significance of having a great QB. Teams would trade two entire draft classes if it was guaranteed they would get a Rodgers or Brady back.

But yes, Mitch probably sucks and isn't fixable, in which case it becomes near impossible to defend Pace. He put a lot of eggs in that basket.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:25 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=110347

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:47 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Yeah but if Mitch is good, you can excuse that and if he's great that stuff doesn't matter at all. It's impossible to overstate the significance of having a great QB. Teams would trade two entire draft classes if it was guaranteed they would get a Rodgers or Brady back.

But yes, Mitch probably sucks and isn't fixable, in which case it becomes near impossible to defend Pace. He put a lot of eggs in that basket.
He didn't have to do that. Everyone in the world seemed to know that but him. Expecting any quarterback drafted second to be Rodgers or Brady to justify your overpay is going to work out poorly almost every time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:13 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Expecting any quarterback drafted second to be Rodgers or Brady to justify your overpay is going to work out poorly almost every time.

Right. That's obvious. Drafting a QB early in the first round is always a huge risk. Trading up to do it magnifies that risk. But you can't overpay for an elite QB. I doubt any Philly fans are complaining about "overpaying" for Wentz. If Mitch turns it around and plays like Wentz next season Pace gets an A+ for that move. Clearly that seems unlikely as of now.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:49 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Expecting any quarterback drafted second to be Rodgers or Brady to justify your overpay is going to work out poorly almost every time.

Right. That's obvious. Drafting a QB early in the first round is always a huge risk. Trading up to do it magnifies that risk. But you can't overpay for an elite QB. I doubt any Philly fans are complaining about "overpaying" for Wentz. If Mitch turns it around and plays like Wentz next season Pace gets an A+ for that move. Clearly that seems unlikely as of now.

The difference between those moves and what Pace did is they went up and got players who were not going to be available when they drafted. Pace went up and got someone who was. Nagy like (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky but Reid loved Mahomes. No one else was coming.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:52 am 

Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The difference between those moves and what Pace did is they went up and got players who were not going to be available when they drafted. Pace went up and got someone who was. Nagy like (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky but Reid loved Mahomes. No one else was coming.

Like I said, that’s hindsight. 49ers needed a QB as much as any team in the league at that time and Pace had no way of knowing who they were gonna take definitively.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:07 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

They had the elite qb regardless.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:19 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Like I said, that’s hindsight. 49ers needed a QB as much as any team in the league at that time and Pace had no way of knowing who they were gonna take definitively.

Then take Watson.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:23 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Then take Watson.

Well you know I agree with that, and said as much on draft day. But I'm not the GM. I'm sure Pace had (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky graded significantly higher than Watson. After their rookie years that looks really bad right now but you're a guy who doesn't put any stock into rookie QB play and with the injury concerns with Watson Pace could still be proven correct long term.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:31 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Then take Watson.

Well you know I agree with that, and said as much on draft day. But I'm not the GM. I'm sure Pace had (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky graded significantly higher than Watson. After their rookie years that looks really bad right now but you're a guy who doesn't put any stock into rookie QB play and with the injury concerns with Watson Pace could still be proven correct long term.
Every GM thinks every pick is great when they make it. They don't trade up every pick to make sure they get them.

You can have a positive outcome from a poor plan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:33 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Every GM thinks every pick is great when they make it. They don't trade up every pick to make sure they get them.

Ryan Pace doesn't trade up every pick either. He traded up to get the first QB taken in the draft, a move that is common among other GMs as well.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:46 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Ryan Pace doesn't trade up every pick either. He traded up to get the first QB taken in the draft, a move that is common among other GMs as well.

To move up one pick when no one expected any qb to be gone is not common. It's also most of the time a bad move.

A year in it is still not defensible even if you ignore rookie production. You don't expect that to change.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:48 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

To move up one pick when no one expected any qb to be gone is not common. It's also most of the time a bad move.

A year in it is still not defensible even if you ignore rookie production. You don't expect that to change.

If you ignore rookie production it's very defensible. It Mitch turns out to be great it was a great trade and a great draft pick.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
DeFillipo is a quarterbacks coach and he is not a play caller. Not sure why you would take him over a guy who has been an OC and called plays.

Frank nailed it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:lol: This was an all time bad thread for Rick.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:12 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

:lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:22 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Probably. Nagy still makes a lot of mistakes but it's hard to argue with the total results. I'm still worried we will get an Andy Reid-like playoff game collapse but at least we will be there to collapse.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Probably. Nagy still makes a lot of mistakes but it's hard to argue with the total results. I'm still worried we will get an Andy Reid-like playoff game collapse but at least we will be there to collapse.

The Bears have had 2 big games this year and he's been prepared. That's encouraging. Reid has lost both of his big games this year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:27 pm 

Nas wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

The Bears have had 2 big games this year and he's been prepared. That's encouraging. Reid has lost both of his big games this year.
The first game of the year was a big one too and he blew it. He still seems to have a bad habit of clock management and he goes conservative with a lead that isn't insurmountable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

The first game of the year was a big one too and he blew it. He still seems to have a bad habit of clock management and he goes conservative with a lead that isn't insurmountable.

I don't really think that the Packers game was big. He's still learning but it appears that he's more flexible than Reid and doesn't crack under pressure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5