It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
A writer that specializes in DV is going after the judge for being too hard, against a sexual predator. My God, these people exist!!!
https://twitter.com/quasimado
Quote:
@quasimado
Honestly, I don't want to hear a judge say they're honored & privileged to send someone to their death.
I want it to be the hardest part of their job, and something they undertake with equanimity.

Quote:
Some mixed messages here. Sexual assault is bad! Except if the victim is a criminal, then it's maybe okay?

These are unacceptable comments from a judge, IMO. Prison rape is a systemic problem in this country.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I don't care what she wrote...you had me at Huffington Post.

Nomination approved.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
I don't care what she wrote...you had me at Huffington Post.

Nomination approved.

Put me down for both sentences as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
What about the death sentence?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's

She has a point, here. I was taken aback when I saw those comments to, thinking they might raise issues for Nassar to appeal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:33 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Nomination denied, Jeltsen is right. Nassar deserves his sentence and a lot of good came from letting victims speak, but you must be able to see how this judge is really going into business for herself. I'm not a lawyer, I've never been convicted of anything, and I never got to follow through on jury duty because one case got settled on the steps and the other one got postponed, so I'm not familiar with how much judges speak their minds here, but I have a feeling this judge laid it on suspiciously thick. And Jeltsen's point about the fetishization of rape as de facto legal punishment is a good one that shouldn't go ignored.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:34 pm 

Also this judge needs to drop the idea that she isn't grandstanding for the media. Any judge should be removed from the bench if they say they've signed a defendant's "death warrant".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Danny B would have an on air aneurysm if the verdict got overturned because of the judges comments.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:37 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:

She has a point, here. I was taken aback when I saw those comments to, thinking they might raise issues for Nassar to appeal.

She(Judge Aquilina) specifically stated the Constitution does not allow for cruel punishment. Interesting to see yourself and this HuffPost feminist on the front lines of defense for a child rapist.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
denied, as others have said, these comments can give Nassar grounds to appeal and get the conviction overturned for a retrial.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:39 pm 

But what about the child rapists?

I agree with the nomination being denied. A judge shouldn't say this.

I doubt there is any way it benefits the convicted but it's still not a great way to end things.

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Also this judge needs to drop the idea that she isn't grandstanding for the media. Any judge should be removed from the bench if they say they've signed a defendant's "death warrant".

Yeah this is a really bad look by her .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

She said she'd sentence him to being raped if she could. I don't think that gets into mistrial territory, but it is a bit theatrical.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:41 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:

Yeah, someone really needs to consider the rights of a man that raped over 100 girls. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Caller Bob wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Yeah, someone really needs to consider the rights of a man that raped over 100 girls. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I don't think any of us care about his rights. However, the statements can open grounds for him to fight the conviction. Thus they shouldn't have been made

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Based on her comments maybe he gets a new sentencing hearing with a different judge? Who cares.

Nassar plead, I believe, so the worst that could happen is re-sentencing, whether that would be with the same judge I don't know, but it's probably a good idea for a higher court to take a look at a judge saying they would order a convict raped but for the Constitution.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I don't think any of us care about his rights. However, the statements can open grounds for him to fight the conviction. Thus they shouldn't have been made

No, not really.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:43 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Yes, someone does.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:44 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
She said she'd sentence him to being raped if she could. I don't think that gets into mistrial territory, but it is a bit theatrical.

I'm not a lawyer like Regular Reader, good dolphin, or JLN, but my guess is that since he already was convicted she can say that she wishes he could be given a harsher sentence against the Constitution without it being a mistrial. It doesn't mean she judged him unfairly prior to the conviction.

Still, bad and useless thing to do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:45 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Based on her comments maybe he gets a new sentencing hearing with a different judge? Who cares.
The victims, the taxpayers of Michigan, those who think the Constitutional ban of cruel and unusual punishment is good?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:46 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I'm not a lawyer like Regular Reader, good dolphin, or JLN, but my guess is that since he already was convicted she can say that she wishes he could be given a harsher sentence against the Constitution without it being a mistrial. It doesn't mean she judged him unfairly prior to the conviction.

It does open the judge up for reprimand or censure, though, which I don't think would be totally unwarranted in this case, if only for the "death warrant" crack alone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:46 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Yes, someone does.

Odd coming from someone that likes to stand on their soapbox

So, you're just going to lean right into being a huge piece of shit? Fuck you.

Keep up fighting the good fight for those kiddie rapists, JLN.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:47 pm 

I thought it was really out of line when she said his mom should have swallowed and he was gonna catch the hands of the law.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:47 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

So many "board lawyers" here...yet everyone is convinced a conviction can be overturned on a case in which the defendent already "plead". hmmm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:48 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Yes, someone does.

Odd coming from someone that likes to stand on their soapbox

So, you're just going to lean right into being a huge piece of shit? Fuck you.

Keep up fighting the good fight for those kiddie rapists, JLN.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:49 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

So many "board lawyers" here...yet everyone is convinced a conviction can be overturned on a case in which the defendent already "plead". hmmm

Nassar plead, I believe, so the worst that could happen is re-sentencing, whether that would be with the same judge I don't know, but it's probably a good idea for a higher court to take a look at a judge saying they would order a convict raped but for the Constitution.

Idiot. And I'm not even a lawyer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:51 pm 

That's going to disappoint Brick. He really looks up to you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:51 pm 

America, take note:

There are multiple people defending an actual child rapist in this thread.