It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Richard Roeper
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
spmack wrote:
Keyana Jones noticed that Julie DiCaro lost thousands of followers in the past week or so....wonder if this is related, somehow?

3K follower jumps over a two-day span are pretty hard to come by for part time nighttime radio hosts with middling Patreon accounts, I would assume.

Also lost a thousand or so over the last 30 days.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
312player wrote:
North has got like 200k followers..gotta be another one.

352K followers and his last tweet got 2 likes -- one of them his own!. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:54 am 

I don't see the big deal besides it being worthy of laughing at a person for it.

Like half of all social media accounts are bots, fake accounts or inactives. If you want to pay some company to follow you then go ahead and waste your money.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't see the big deal besides it being worthy of laughing at a person for it.

Like half of all social media accounts are bots, fake accounts or inactives. If you want to pay some company to follow you then go ahead and waste your money.

i realize FB commenters are basically the lowest wrung of society, but I love when people will be arguing with someone that's clearly a fake profile/bot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:00 pm 

Bagels wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

i realize FB commenters are basically the lowest wrung of society, but I love when people will be arguing with someone that's clearly a fake profile/bot
That's why JORR ignores DannyB.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Part of contracts with papers are social media things. More than likely, his contract is tied to his followers/growth of his account. By paying for them, he is basically skirting the requirements of his contract.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
312player wrote:
C_Howitt_Fealz wrote:
Why would you need to buy Twitter followers anyways?

I don't have twitter but I'd assume they think - more folloers equals more credibility.

I can see advertisers being upset if they are paying a certain amount based on how many followers someone has thinking their commercials will reach x number of people when they are really reaching much less than that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
I guess Roeper got busted when he was re-tweeted by Roger Ebert.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Right. It's not a "scandal" or anything.

It's just dumb.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:17 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
3K follower jumps over a two-day span are pretty hard to come by for part time nighttime radio hosts with middling Patreon accounts, I would assume.

2,999 of them were Keyana Jones alts in case one got blocked.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Caller Bob wrote:

I'm sure it was jaw-dropping to see that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It's just dumb.

I think it is a scandal though when you're supposed to be a journalist. And Roeper was about to start writing a column again. It may not be such a big deal for a movie critic who wants to raise his profile or a business or even for a political campaign that is trying to reach as many eyeballs as possible. But for someone who considers himself a journalist, it calls his credibility into question.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It's just dumb.

I think it is a scandal though when you're supposed to be a journalist. And Roeper was about to start writing a column again. It may not be such a big deal for a movie critic who wants to raise his profile or a business or even for a political campaign that is trying to reach as many eyeballs as possible. But for someone who considers himself a journalist, it calls his credibility into question.

The fact that Twitter followers or YouTube subscribers is important to anyone in any professional manner is why They hate us.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It's just dumb.

The fact that Twitter followers or YouTube subscribers is important to anyone in any professional manner is why They hate us.

Yeah, the rules on this stuff are being written as we go. Especially with regard to media, individuals are positioning themselves as a brand unto themselves rather than, in Roeper's case for example, an employee of the Chicago Sun-Times. I believe that li'l danny advised his protegee Sir Larry to drop the "670" from his Twitter handle for that exact reason.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
we were about to pay for a company to increase our clicks and follows on fb for our company. they said it was all legitimate. we found a local company that used them and he showed up and showed us how like all the follows and clicks were from indonesia and other countries. basically its a "hey i have alot of followers thus must be legit" type of a thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:44 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It's just dumb.

It may call his popularity into question but credibility in journalism shouldn't be how many twitter followers you have.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It's just dumb.

It may call his popularity into question but credibility in journalism shouldn't be how many twitter followers you have.

It's not that you gain credibility by having Twitter followers. It's that you lose it by faking phony ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I believe the other issue is that the company that Roeper apparently used created bot accounts in a "catfishy" way in which they use the name and likeness of someone without permission, but change the name ever-so-slightly (like Beardown and Beerdown).

Could be another layer in fraud.