It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Amtrak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Douchebag wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:
From the QCA to Chicago via air is around $600.
no train because for some reason Madigan does not want it to actually run. I can drive to Galesburg and go from there and it is around $40 round trip or Grey hound for $40 round trip.
So explain to me why a 160 mile 4 minute plane flight is over $200?

Move

just not within 1,000 feet of a school

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:26 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
$149? Was that upgrading the day of the flight? I've never seen anything close to that when booking. Did you have one of those new basic economy fares that don't even let you bring a carryon?

Yes it was day of flight.

Flying to Europe this year (Alitalia). They make you pay $70 just to pick a seat. Not a upgraded seat. Just any old damn seat. So we coughed up the $280 just to ensure we get to sit together as a famly.

I learned about this pay to pick your seat in any way scam from Spirit this year. Some of these fees are really weird. I should probably pay the fee to deserve not to crash and die as well.

Your 1st mistake was selecting Spirit. If you're going to fly low-fare, Southwest or JetBlue are the ways to go

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Those are some incredibly cheap fares to LA.

What does it cost to fly to Lexington KY or Cincinnati?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:29 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Flying is like half the price if what it was a few decades ago though adjusting for inflation.

That is a very difficult thing to measure. You have to include the myriad upcharges. Non-refundability of tickets. no food. way less space. I dunno. maybe its possible. But it would be simple for anyone with an agenda to skew those numbers however they want.

it has been calculated and on average, flying since deregulation has become 15-20% of the cost of an adjusted for inflation of a pre-1978 ticket. If you really want to pay that pre-1978 price and get the frills, you pay for a 1st class seat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Is Hatch trying to argue that you can't measure the cost of inflation?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I'm not talking about 1978. I'm talking probably in the past 10 years as airline fare arrangements have become drastically different.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:42 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Those are some incredibly cheap fares to LA.

What does it cost to fly to Lexington KY or Cincinnati?
I don't know but across the board things are much cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:46 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
I'm not talking about 1978. I'm talking probably in the past 10 years as airline fare arrangements have become drastically different.
If you are only talking about the past 10 years why are you mentioning the lack of food being included in coach? That was all but gone in coach on domestic flights by 2008.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:49 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
If you are only talking about the past 10 years why are you mentioning the lack of food being included in coach? That was all but gone in coach on domestic flights by 2008.

I honestly don't remember a meal on a domestic flight since at least 2002

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
pittmike wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
$149? Was that upgrading the day of the flight? I've never seen anything close to that when booking. Did you have one of those new basic economy fares that don't even let you bring a carryon?

Yes it was day of flight.

Flying to Europe this year (Alitalia). They make you pay $70 just to pick a seat. Not a upgraded seat. Just any old damn seat. So we coughed up the $280 just to ensure we get to sit together as a famly.

I learned about this pay to pick your seat in any way scam from Spirit this year. Some of these fees are really weird. I should probably pay the fee to deserve not to crash and die as well.

Paid $240 RT to Denver last week for a first class seat on Spirit and booked it the day before leaving.

On the way back, the guy next to me paid $60 one way. I think it's all algorithms and availability on these seats.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
An Acela train just randomly decoupled at 125 mph

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:19 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Train seemed to be leaving Washington, maybe there were some 8%ers on board who will now be convinced of OW-UH CRUMBLING INFRASTRUKCHUH. That'd be the second-best outcome, behind the 8%ers dying.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
High speed rail is a great thing in high density locations with relaxed environmental rules. It is more problematic elsewhere, who wants to pay to upgrade the track between Chicago and Detroit or Detroit and Cleveland, for example.

Caller Bob wrote:
Oh I forgot my Customs experience is Miami...yeah that was a fucking nightmare. Don't even do an international arriving in Miami..ever.

Global Entry is your friend. I flew into Miami from Grand Cayman a couple of years ago on MLK Day, I barely stopped walking until I was back at security. 60 seconds at the GE kiosk, mostly because my hand is too big for the fingerprint screen, 30 seconds to give the printout to the customs guy. No lines.