It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Amtrak
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:35 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
These crashes are becoming more common, how does this shit happen. Heads should roll.

Post subject: Re: Amtrak
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:37 am 

Get rid of all public transportation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
US Airlines carry 20+ times as many passengers each year and haven't killed anyone in this country since Colgan Air in 2009. Amtrak has seemingly had incident after incident while our airlines have had a perfect safety record.

Amtrak's long distance routes should be shuttered. They all lose money and some of them have absurd subsidies to keep them even running. (The Autotrain receives about $100 per passenger in federal funding as one example)

I can see a case for privatizing some commuter routes such as the NE Regional, Hiawatha, etc.. However the rest of Amtrak should have long been shut down. The geography of the US is not conducive for intercity rail travel, especially when air travel is readily available. If you can't afford that, take a bus. It is cheaper than Amtrak

Rail in the 21st century certainly has it's place. It's just not for intercity travel. It is best reserved for freight and commuters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:52 am 

312player wrote:
These crashes are becoming more common, how does this shit happen. Heads should roll.

It keeps happening because there is no accountability in government run organizations such as Amtrak.

If you're lazy or incompetent, find government employment. They can't or won't fire you, even if you are a total shitbag.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
The United States is quickly losing its status as a first world country due to the continued insistence in government, bureaucracy and higher education that a diverse workforce is preferable to a competent workforce. It will only get worse. Air travel will eventually be affected as unqualified tranny pilots have mental breakdowns mid flight or ghetto ATC operators muscle their way into roles where people's safety depends on them.

:lol: Amtrak is at this point a fucking serial killer. What a joke, a true embarrassment of a nation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:30 am 

In before idiotic comments about France.

The TGV goes 320 kmph and has NEVER (since 1981) had a fatal accident on a revenue line. Literally has never happened. The USA cant go a month without a train that barely goes faster than a go-kart falling off the tracks and killing a handful of people.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Word on the street is the CSx freight crew lined the switch wrong . Not Amtraks fault.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
the accident with the republican lawmakers is under investigation by FBI,the roads along the route where closed and no one was suppose to be near the route. They are wondering why that truck was there. The only thing that kept the crash from being a catastrophe was the speed of the train,if it was going its normal 75mph it would have been terrible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:38 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Word on the street is the CSx freight crew lined the switch wrong . Not Amtraks fault.

These types of mistakes still do not happen in developed countries. Doesn't matter who's fault it is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
America wrote:
The United States is quickly losing its status as a first world country due to the continued insistence in government, bureaucracy and higher education that a diverse workforce is preferable to a competent workforce. It will only get worse. Air travel will eventually be affected as unqualified tranny pilots have mental breakdowns mid flight or ghetto ATC operators muscle their way into roles where people's safety depends on them.

you have serious issues dude.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:45 am 

America wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

These types of mistakes still do not happen in developed countries. Doesn't matter who's fault it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eckwersheim_derailment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%A9tigny-sur-Orge_train_crash

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:47 am 

Douchebag wrote:
America wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

One was a test. Not revenue runs. Not the general public.

The other was the first major accident in more than 20 years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:51 am 

America wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

developed countries connect their large cities via a 20th century mode of transit (air). Shitholes like France still use a 19th century mode (rail).

heck, even the NE regional fails on comparison to the air shuttle service Delta, American, and Jet Blue offer. High speed rail is costly joke, just look at California.

Heck even France's TGV loses money each year https://qz.com/177166/frances-high-spee ... -year-ago/

Even when it is deemed "profitable" it is only through accounting tricks where legacy costs (which are real costs of the program, but not counted for some reason) are excluded.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:52 am 

America wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
America wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

One was a test. Not revenue runs. Not the general public.

The other was the first major accident in more than 20 years.

I'm sure you'll let us know when France reaches developed country status.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:55 am 

high speed rail is so much better than air travel I cannot even begin to describe it. On what planet is it preferable to have to trek 20 miles from the city center to be molested by security, charged $50 because your carry-on is 3 cm too wide and then stuffed in a tube next to a bunch of obese, putrid Americans?

You can show up 5 minutes before your train leaves and it drops you off right in the center of the city you want to go to. Bring as much baggage as you want! pick your own seat! Go visit the cafe car for a snack!

You are out of your mind.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:59 am 

Since that was written they've added Ouigo which has been a pretty big success. Its true that Ryanair has really undercut SNCF and especially DB, but the rail companies are coming back with low cost alternatives too. TGV is still by far the fastest, most convenient way to get around France. The same would apply to DB in Germany if there was a speed limit on the Autobahn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:00 am 

America wrote:
high speed rail is so much better than air travel I cannot even begin to describe it. On what planet is it preferable to have to trek 20 miles from the city center to be molested by security, charged $50 because your carry-on is 3 cm too wide and then stuffed in a tube next to a bunch of obese, putrid Americans?

You can show up 5 minutes before your train leaves and it drops you off right in the center of the city you want to go to. Bring as much baggage as you want! pick your own seat! Go visit the cafe car for a snack!

True, I've taken Thalys from Paris to Brussels and from Paris to Amsterdam. A great experience.

I have nothing but great experiences with SBB and DB, as well.

But none of these networks are feasible in the US.

Last edited by Kirkwood on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:00 am 

America wrote:

enjoy it while you can because TGV is losing money. Let's see how much longer taxpayers will foot the bill. It must be hard when you have 10% unemployment to keep such things running.

Also, I doubt you even take the TGV since you probably can't afford the ticket.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:06 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Let's see how much longer taxpayers will foot the bill.

Probably a while considering people love the TGV.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Amtrak is fucking garbage. For many routes(Boston to New York), it's actually cheaper to fly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:19 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Amtrak is fucking garbage. For many routes(Boston to New York), it's actually cheaper to fly.

yep, air shuttle FTW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 am 

I agree nothing better than being forced to arrive 90 minutes early to wonderful places like JFK or Logan.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 am 

America wrote:
I agree nothing better than being forced to arrive 90 minutes early to wonderful places like JFK or Logan.

You cry too much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:24 am 

you have to actually hate yourself to enjoy domestic air travel in the united states.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:25 am 

America wrote:

air shuttle has different rules, dedicated security lines and dedicated check-in. Curb to gate for air shuttle is 5-10 minutes. I've done it before.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:28 am 

Air travel beats driving.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:32 am 

Caller Bob wrote:

depends.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:32 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
America wrote:

air shuttle has different rules, dedicated security lines and dedicated check-in. Curb to gate for air shuttle is 5-10 minutes. I've done it before.

If I wanted to go JFK to Boston tomorrow it'll cost me $150. SNCF would do St Expury to Marne in 1h45 tomorrow for €25.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:33 am 

It's so cute how he uses the Euro symbol €.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Caller Bob wrote:

Depends where you're going...driving can be pretty awesome.