It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: United Airlines
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 336257002/

These people arrived safely and on time in Hawaii, their intended destination, and are getting refunds? Uhhhh, why?

Post subject: Re: United Airlines
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The only thing United did here to earn the DB is ordering their trip 7's without the Trent engine from Rolls Royce. That's the best engine in civil aviation and is an option on the 777.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Nomination denied. This is smart business, especially with the press coverage this event will receive. The Crossiant is no MBA, that is for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:31 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:31 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Nomination denied. This is smart business, especially with the press coverage this event will receive. The Crossiant is no MBA, that is for sure.

No. The precedent this sets is not good. If an airline gets you to your destination safely, with all your baggage undamaged, and in a reasonable amount of they have fulfilled their end of the bargain. When UA hands out refunds for dumb reasons like this it lowers the bar that it takes for people to get refunds, the costs of which will eventually be passed onto the flying public.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Caller Bob wrote:

Plus the real story here is Boeing twin jets can operate over large expanses of ocean on a single engine. This is why ETOPS keeps getting extended and why airlines are dumping relatively new quad and tri jets. Just ask Airbus how well the A340 sold and ask Boeing why no one wants the 747-8I.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:32 pm 

America wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

No. The precedent this sets is not good. If an airline gets you to your destination safely, with all your baggage undamaged, and in a reasonable amount of they have fulfilled their end of the bargain. When UA hands out refunds for dumb reasons like this it lowers the bar that it takes for people to get refunds, the costs of which will eventually be passed onto the flying public.

Yeah, all those flights where the engine cover blows off, happens what, dozens of times a day? This will cost them a fortune.

Last edited by Caller Bob on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:33 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Plus the real story here is Boeing twin jets can operate over large expanses of ocean on a single engine. This is why ETOPS keeps getting extended and why airlines are dumping relatively new quad and tri jets. Just ask Airbus how well the A340 sold

This is basically why Jews rule the world. You know your shit when it comes to engineering and $$$.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:35 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Yeah, all those flights where the engine cover blows off, happens what, dozens a times a day? This will cost them a fortune.

Now its the engine cover, but what next? Any mechanical issue that makes the flight kinda scary? Shitty landings? Bad weather? A stressful flight is now cause to get your money back? Fuuucccckkkkk that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:39 pm 

Why are you not the CEO or CIO of a Fortune 500 company?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Douchebag wrote:

Dilly Dilly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:41 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Why are you not the CEO or CIO of a Fortune 500 company?

You answered that question earlier in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Is someone actually taking the stance that an airplane engine blowing up and leading to an emergency landing does not warrant a simple refund?

:?:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:04 pm 

Tell me what entitles these people to getting their money back?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
America wrote:
Tell me what entitles these people to getting their money back?

Anything which will reduce negative press and encourage them and others to buy more airplane tickets in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:17 pm 

An engine fell apart mid flight and the plane landed without incident. Bad pub? This is a sign that from a safety standpoint these airlines are doing a perfect job.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
To me, United should have charged an extra 5 bucks to each passenger as they got off for a safe landing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
How sad is it that someone thought taking away employee bonuses and replacing them with a raffle would be a good idea?

United walks back new bonus lottery system that angered employees

Quote:
Kirby originally announced the new lottery-style bonus system in a note to workers late last week, according to employees and union officials. The lottery system was intended to replace a program that allowed each employee to receive a bonus of up to $300 per quarter if the company hit certain operational targets.

The new lottery-style system called for a small number of employees to receive prizes per quarter, including cash awards ranging from $2,000 to $40,000, luxury cars and vacations. A single employee would receive a grand prize of $100,000 under the plan, media reports said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:56 pm 

The media just got through telling me $300 a year is no big deal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Considering the woman they were dealing with works for the Center for American Progress and the fact United didn't negotiate with anyone else, this sounds like a PR stunt:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:43 pm 

I was in the Philadelphia airport yesterday flying back to Chicago, and American was offering $1600-$1800 travel vouchers per seat for volunteers to some Caribbean destinations (St. Lucia, Punta Cana). I know they got the volunteers for St. Lucia, I had to get on my plane before Punta Cana was resolved.

If I was going to one of those destinations at Spring Break, you'd damn well be sure that I'd have a set of alternate plans figured out, no way I'd leave $3500 on the table even if I had to spend $500 of it on non-refundable first night expenses.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Considering the woman they were dealing with works for the Center for American Progress and the fact United didn't negotiate with anyone else, this sounds like a PR stunt:

Seems really fishy.

Definitely at $5K you're getting a bite if you open it up to the plane. That's a 1st class seat on a trans-ocean flight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:02 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I was in the Philadelphia airport yesterday flying back to Chicago, and American was offering $1600-$1800 travel vouchers per seat for volunteers to some Caribbean destinations (St. Lucia, Punta Cana). I know they got the volunteers for St. Lucia, I had to get on my plane before Punta Cana was resolved.

If I was going to one of those destinations at Spring Break, you'd damn well be sure that I'd have a set of alternate plans figured out, no way I'd leave $3500 on the table even if I had to spend $500 of it on non-refundable first night expenses.

How long was the delay till they got you on the next flight?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:07 pm 

Again UA fosters even more entitlement in travelers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:10 pm 

America wrote:
Again UA fosters even more entitlement in travelers.

I don't think you understand how the free market, or the Airline Industry business works. Even with the vouchers paid out, United still made out like bandits by booking the flight to capacity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:12 pm 

People read about this on the internet and think they are entitled to the same treatment. Refunds for perfectly safe flights landing on time, $10k for overbooking. The cattle think they run the fucking show now, there's no bottom to this shit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:52 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

For Punta Cana the gate agent was saying 10 hours until the next flight, so you'd get in round midnight but still the same day. I think St. Lucia may have been a full day, depending on if they could route via Miami or not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:55 pm 

America wrote:
The cattle think they run the fucking show now, there's no bottom to this shit.

This is rich coming from the same person who is arguing in other airline threads that actual cattle deserve the same rights as passengers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:03 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

For Punta Cana the gate agent was saying 10 hours until the next flight, so you'd get in round midnight but still the same day. I think St. Lucia may have been a full day, depending on if they could route via Miami or not.

That is a good deal. Plenty to cover hotel/meal till your next flight leaves too.