It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: This Ohio Judge
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I am positive that the government would better educate my children than I would which is why there is no chance I will home school.

I don't think you really believe that. It's simply a matter of you not having time to spend educating your children. And I believe the statistics support the argument that home-schooled children are far more prepared for university than public school children. And that's with most of them being home-schooled by religious whackjobs rather than a sane person like yourself.
I do. I'm not a trained educational professional. Why would I be better at it than one? I don't think I'd fix my furnace better than Darkside or be a better lawyer than JLN so why would I think I could teach better than a trained professional?

I don't believe learning is something that requires "trained professionals" and there is a mountain of evidence that supports that conclusion. But hey, I don't want to get sideways with the teacher's unions. I do think most of their members care and do a good job. I just don't think their skills are as critical to their students' learning as they would have us believe. If they were, home-schooled children- most of whom are taught by untrained and highly religious parents- wouldn't be able to outperform the students of the trained professionals to the degree that they do. Are you familiar with "unschooling"?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I think gender dysphoria is a real thing.

So do I. And there's a lot of evidence that transitioning isn't the proper treatment, especially for someone as young as 17.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:38 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I am positive that the government would better educate my children than I would which is why there is no chance I will home school.

I don't think you really believe that. It's simply a matter of you not having time to spend educating your children. And I believe the statistics support the argument that home-schooled children are far more prepared for university than public school children. And that's with most of them being home-schooled by religious whackjobs rather than a sane person like yourself.
I do. I'm not a trained educational professional. Why would I be better at it than one? I don't think I'd fix my furnace better than Darkside or be a better lawyer than JLN so why would I think I could teach better than a trained professional?

I don't believe learning is something that requires "trained professionals" and there is a mountain of evidence that supports that conclusion. But hey, I don't want to get sideways with the teacher's unions. I do think most of their members care and do a good job. I just don't think their skills are as critical to their students' learning as they would have us believe. If they were, home-schooled children- most of whom are taught by untrained and highly religious parents- wouldn't be able to outperform the students of the trained professionals to the degree that they do. Are you familiar with "unschooling"?

Well, my guess is like the private school debates, it's about the selection bias that keeps out the underperforming kids along with them in general being more affluent since they can rely on one income to live on.

If I'm as good or better than the average teacher at my local school then that's absolutely pitiful. Now, maybe you see me educate JLN and pittmike every day on here and you are giving me a huge compliment but I don't think I'd educate my kid as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:44 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

So do I. And there's a lot of evidence that transitioning isn't the proper treatment, especially for someone as young as 17.
Well, it was just starting the process so it wasn't like they weren't going to try just about everything else.

I think that would have been a stronger argument for the parents to make though. It seems as if they simply said they were against it for religious reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Well, my guess is like the private school debates, it's about the selection bias that keeps out the underperforming kids along with them in general being more affluent since they can rely on one income to live on.

If I'm as good or better than the average teacher at my local school then that's absolutely pitiful. Now, maybe you see me educate JLN and pittmike every day on here and you are giving me a huge compliment but I don't think I'd educate my kid as well.

I'm saying that the home environment is much more critical to a child's learning than who the child's teachers are. That's exactly why more affluent students/schools do better. That isn't a criticism of poor parents. It's about luxuries/time/etc. that poor people don't have.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:48 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'm saying that the home environment is much more critical to a child's learning than who the child's teachers are. That's exactly why more affluent students/schools do better. That isn't a criticism of poor parents. It's about luxuries/time/etc. that poor people don't have.
The support environment is. I'll still trust a trained professional to teach my kids over myself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Well, it was just starting the process so it wasn't like they weren't going to try just about everything else.

I think that would have been a stronger argument for the parents to make though. It seems as if they simply said they were against it for religious reasons.

But we're back to parents' rights to make choices for their underage children. I don't think their motives for making those choices should be in question. Frankly, it comes off as anti-Christian dogma. It doesn't matter that you and I find someone's Christian beliefs absurd. The truth is, most Americans don't. I think you would have a better argument if the parents were trying to force a procedure on the child. Like female genital mutilation or perhaps even male circumcision, for example. I wonder how the judge would have handled a case like that and if the media would be treating the parents differently.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The support environment is. I'll still trust a trained professional to teach my kids over myself.

I'll take the kid living in a comfortable two-parent home with plenty of food and you and Caller Bob as his teachers over a kid living in public housing and with food uncertainty who has Noam Chomsky and spanky as his teachers if we're betting on who will score higher on the SAT.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That's usually true, but it goes beyond luxuries and time (though you need nutrients to think) and is more psychological.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You must not know many teachers...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'll take the kid living in a comfortable two-parent home with plenty of food and you and Caller Bob as his teachers over a kid living in public housing and with food uncertainty who has Noam Chomsky and spanky as his teachers if we're betting on who will score higher on the SAT.

Shots fired at spanky!

SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The SAT is part genetics, too. But I'd bet on that kid, too. Some might claim that this would produce a "why bother?" attitude towards public education, but that point doesn't logically follow.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:05 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

But we're back to parents' rights to make choices for their underage children. I don't think their motives for making those choices should be in question. Frankly, it comes off as anti-Christian dogma. It doesn't matter that you and I find someone's Christian beliefs absurd. The truth is, most Americans don't. I think you would have a better argument if the parents were trying to force a procedure on the child. Like female genital mutilation or perhaps even male circumcision, for example. I wonder how the judge would have handled a case like that and if the media would be treating the parents differently.
That then gets us down the rabbit hole of if 17 year olds have the same religious freedom as adults. I think it's hard to make a case that the best interest of the child is what a church tells them over what they and medical doctors chosen by the parents think is best.

There are religions that don't believe in blood transfusions. They are technically supposed to let their children die rather than get one. Now, I find it hard to believe you would let a life saving surgery not have "consent" because of it even if the 17 year old wanted it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Very true. Every day I learn what a hand job you are. :lol:

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:07 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It's not one or the other though. I'm proving the same home life regardless. I'll trust that from 9:30 to 1pm(or whatever minuscule hours teachers actually work) that the teachers are doing a better job as trained professionals than I would be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:13 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Very true. Every day I learn what a hand job you are. :lol:
:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:57 pm 

pizza_Place: My own
Boilermaker -

You keep wrongly bringing up religion. The debate here has nothing to do with religion. The debate is whether parents have a right to make decisions for their children or the government does. That they may or may not have done it for religious reasons isn't material.

You are nuts to paint teachers as having some unique skill set that a reasonably educated parent couldn't replicate. That's not a shot at teachers; it's true of most professions. The biggest downside to home schooling is the lack of socialization....... which is a huge downside.

I know you're a big government guy, which is fine, but where do you draw the line?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:10 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Some ideas people have regarding the government and children are certainly interesting.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:19 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You don't think all these sw side bimbos that graduated from Eastern aren't world class intellectuals?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Parents shouldn't have an absolute right to do what they think is best for their children.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
storkinastorm wrote:
but where do you draw the line?

Below the waist? (or above?)?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Nas wrote:
Parents shouldn't have an absolute right to do what they think is best for their children.

Nobody is arguing they should. But hormone replacement therapy isn't a polio vaccine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:22 pm 

Nas wrote:

They aren't trying to remove her clitoris .. They just want her to wait 6 months before their mentally ill daughter makes extreme choices.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:24 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:
Boilermaker -

You keep wrongly bringing up religion. The debate here has nothing to do with religion. The debate is whether parents have a right to make decisions for their children or the government does. That they may or may not have done it for religious reasons isn't material.

You are nuts to paint teachers as having some unique skill set that a reasonably educated parent couldn't replicate. That's not a shot at teachers; it's true of most professions. The biggest downside to home schooling is the lack of socialization....... which is a huge downside.

I know you're a big government guy, which is fine, but where do you draw the line?

It is about religion. They made it about that.

I'm not a big government guy. However we already draw lines about what decisions parents can make for kids. I'm guessing you and others would want the government to step in if a parent was getting their 10 year old a gender reassignment surgery.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:27 pm 

Rick..I'd bet it's already happened.. The surgeons should be locked up with the parents.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
pittmike wrote:
Some ideas people have regarding the government and children are certainly interesting.

That's one word to describe it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
312player wrote:
Nas wrote:

They aren't trying to remove her clitoris .. They just want her to wait 6 months before their mentally ill daughter makes extreme choices.

If you read the thread you'll notice I completely disagree with the judge.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:33 pm 

312player wrote:
Rick..I'd bet it's already happened.. The surgeons should be locked up with the parents.

Why should the government step in?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
312player wrote:

They aren't trying to remove her clitoris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Any doctor who would participate in custody proceedings over hormone replacement therapy to be performed on a minor should be sued for malpractice then lose their license.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next