It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Disposable Living
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:32 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Holy shit this is a depressing read. The mental energy expended keeping up appearances sounds like a nightmare.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/the-go ... ssion=true

Post subject: Re: Disposable Living
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Quote:
Living like a fancy millennial was wonderful, until it wasn’t.

JFC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:02 am 
1000 CLUB

With the fuckwad parents naming the kid Zephyr. Hope he marries Abcde.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:04 am 

Perhaps Don Tiny or a Meme wizard can help with this.

We get lasagna at a place that’s literally called Lasagna Ristorante, which feels appropriate for the experiment (the lasagna is medium-good). That night I do my whole skin care routine. And as I brush my teeth rigorously, I imagine my dentist telling me I’m not doing a good enough job cleaning and how I will reply, insistent, “But I have a Quip!”

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:41 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Was a little disappointed in how the conclusion was written. If the goal was to half ass it as a millennial night she nailed it. Truth be told I see no real difference between her generation and mine and every one since. This happened to be the first time I had seen someone take the effort to list items and give the full experience a try. Most people are marketed to the same way each year. A different label happens to be slapped on what the newly graduated will be called is all.
I am reminded of Royko describing his social experiment based on where he lived: above tavern man, bungalow man, high-rise man and suburbia man. Its not fair to compare this person and Royko. I still had hoped I might feel like I didn't waist the time it took to read.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:58 am 

There was a shit ton of drinking mixed in. No wonder they feel like shit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:11 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
beni hanna wrote:
Truth be told I see no real difference between her generation and mine and every one since.

If you are referring to her desire/"need" for things, I agree and say that it has been the case ever since modern advertising began. Toothpaste doesn't even really help clean your teeth. Some guy working for Pepsodent just made us think we need it.

A couple more takeaways: 1) She's pretty cute. 2) She may have a drinking problem.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:24 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
beni hanna wrote:
Truth be told I see no real difference between her generation and mine and every one since.

If you are referring to her desire/"need" for things, I agree and say that it has been the case ever since modern advertising began. Toothpaste doesn't even really help clean your teeth. Some guy working for Pepsodent just made us think we need it.

A couple more takeaways: 1) She's pretty cute. 2) She may have a drinking problem.

Jorr Orr Tooth Decay Rod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:33 am 
Site Admin

SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

Jorr Orr Tooth Decay Rod

And you think you're immune, but I can sell you anything
Anything from a thin safety pin to a pork pie hat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: Barbetta
You are the product.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
... and do not contract food poisoning even though I have little to no experience cooking raw meat.

Anyone over the age of ... I don't know ... sixteen that hasn't cooked raw meat should probably be tossed into the Grand Canyon ... I will briefly consider exceptions for some of the whacko vegetarian crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I’m sure my 12 and 15 year old have cooked burgers for themselves (with 12 year old I’m generally in kitchen but not always). I remember the happiness I had when my mom left me at home in junior high with the message of frozen pizza in freezer or cook a burger or some chicken if you’d like. I survived.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Joe, I like the Joe Jackson reference. Not his best album but still very good

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
After reading this, I'd like to raise the voting age to 35.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's (Hillside)
Would.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:45 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Quote:
I used all the best stuff for a week and it nearly broke me
Living like a fancy millennial was wonderful, until it wasn’t.

...at which point it never was. Use promo code "DAN" for your Quip and Brooklinen sheets.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You are sorta right but some toothpastes have other benefits.

Things can enrich you life to some degree. It shouldn't be the basis of your existence and it should be what is enjoyable for the individual. Brand, cost, value to others, etc shouldn't necessarily matter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Spaulding wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Things can enrich you life to some degree. It shouldn't be the basis of your existence and it should be what is enjoyable for the individual. Brand, cost, value to others, etc shouldn't necessarily matter.

Listen, Spaulding. If using Summer's Eve feminine hygiene products gives you the confidence to fight your way through The Patriarchy, I say, You Go, Girl! Just as long as you know that in spite of what Prestige Brands and VIA Partners want you to believe, your hoohah is a self-cleaning device.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:55 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Listen, Spaulding. If using Summer's Eve feminine hygiene products gives you the confidence to fight your way through The Patriarchy, I say, You Go, Girl! Just as long as you know that in spite of what Prestige Brands and VIA Partners want you to believe, your hoohah is a self-cleaning device.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What is a post I never thought I'd read here Alex?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

:lol:
Wow.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:04 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:39 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Douche or no douche my hoohah smells a heck of a lot better than your stank breath. GFY!!!!

Your post made me laugh out loud. Very funny. By the way douche works very well if your dog gets skunked.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:52 am 
Site Admin

Seriously, I don't want to come off as a hypocrite. You all read my posts. I'm as much or more of a typical American consumer as anyone else here. Let's just say I don't want to subsist on potted meat and Miller High Life.

I was thinking about American consumerism and advertising and it lead me to some thoughts regarding immigration.

For most of us in this country, even the poorest among us, life comes down to choices like which big screen TV we are going to buy. I think I've told the story about one year when I helped Chris Zorich out delivering his Thanksgiving baskets and I took one to a house near Belmont and Damen. It was a house with modest furnishings, but there were still several nice televisions and one of the kids had a bicycle that was three times the cost of my own. And I say this not to make a case that they didn't deserve a free turkey, but rather to point out that in the 21st Century U.S. even the poorest among us is doing okay relative to historic standards and standards in a lot of other countries.

When you have these people marching here from shithole countries- yeah, I said it and it's not a statement about those people themselves- nobody who is in favor of open borders seems to consider how necessarily different the values of a person who has had to struggle everyday to feed himself are as opposed to those of the guy who is wondering whether to purchase a Prius or a Leaf. And when you drop the former into a society comprised of the latter you're going to have some problems. And those problems won't be dealt with by Nancy Pelosi up in Napa or Chuck Schumer in Park Slope.

The modern Western man is as soft as can be and that brings me back around to thoughts of things like toothpaste and douche. It's only a few generations back that our grandparents/great grandparents didn't have indoor plumbing. Can you imagine what people smelled like in Victorian times? It's amazing that anyone had enough sex for any of us to exist.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:23 am 

Chris Zorich delivering turkeys and Victorian fuck habits in the same post. This is the kind of insight that can only be found on a message board.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:33 am 

These guys don't represent me. I don't need the best. I make all my financial decisions based on seeing the product on Shark Tank.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:49 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Seriously, I don't want to come off as a hypocrite. You all read my posts. I'm as much or more of a typical American consumer as anyone else here. Let's just say I don't want to subsist on potted meat and Miller High Life.

I was thinking about American consumerism and advertising and it lead me to some thoughts regarding immigration.

For most of us in this country, even the poorest among us, life comes down to choices like which big screen TV we are going to buy. I think I've told the story about one year when I helped Chris Zorich out delivering his Thanksgiving baskets and I took one to a house near Belmont and Damen. It was a house with modest furnishings, but there were still several nice televisions and one of the kids had a bicycle that was three times the cost of my own. And I say this not to make a case that they didn't deserve a free turkey, but rather to point out that in the 21st Century U.S. even the poorest among us is doing okay relative to historic standards and standards in a lot of other countries.

When you have these people marching here from shithole countries- yeah, I said it and it's not a statement about those people themselves- nobody who is in favor of open borders seems to consider how necessarily different the values of a person who has had to struggle everyday to feed himself are as opposed to those of the guy who is wondering whether to purchase a Prius or a Leaf. And when you drop the former into a society comprised of the latter you're going to have some problems. And those problems won't be dealt with by Nancy Pelosi up in Napa or Chuck Schumer in Park Slope.

The modern Western man is as soft as can be and that brings me back around to thoughts of things like toothpaste and douche. It's only a few generations back that our grandparents/great grandparents didn't have indoor plumbing. Can you imagine what people smelled like in Victorian times? It's amazing that anyone had enough sex for any of us to exist.

When you look at some of the problems facing modern society: obesity, addiction, loneliness, mental health etc. They can all be directly related to the loss of meaning in life. We are evolved primates meant to struggle for food in nature. Living like we do now is unnatural, and it takes meaning away for many people. As jobs become automated what happens to the majority? Will they be content just existing with something like a basic income provided for them?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
As jobs become automated what happens to the majority? Will they be content just existing with something like a basic income provided for them?

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:08 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
When you look at some of the problems facing modern society: obesity, addiction, loneliness, mental health etc. They can all be directly related to the loss of meaning in life. We are evolved primates meant to struggle for food in nature. Living like we do now is unnatural, and it takes meaning away for many people. As jobs become automated what happens to the majority? Will they be content just existing with something like a basic income provided for them?

People can find meaning outside drudgery.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:12 am 
Site Admin

Terry's Peeps wrote:
As jobs become automated what happens to the majority? Will they be content just existing with something like a basic income provided for them?

Yes.

I don't think so. Man needs purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:

People can find meaning outside drudgery.

You are responding to the seemingly underlying premise of WfR's post that religion is necessary, yes?