It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:44 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
badrogue17 wrote:
Besides Ditka and Jordan , has any athlete ever had a good run as a restauranter in this city ? It’s such a ridiculous vanity investment . If they have such a jones to open up food establishments they should go the Junior Bridgeman route and open up McDonald’s or Wendy’s but then again you can’t pick up hot women in those kind of restaurants as the big shot owner can you ?

Did Jordan even put money into his restaurant? I thought he sold his name and Juanita’s mac and cheese recipe. That’s the smart way to go but it only works for the true mega-stars.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:49 am 

I assume all successful restaurants are just money laundering operations.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:32 am 

If you need a restaurant to pick up hot women then you are not much of a celebrity :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:00 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
312player wrote:
I know nothing
Agreed.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
badrogue17 wrote:
Besides Ditka and Jordan , has any athlete ever had a good run as a restauranter in this city ? It’s such a ridiculous vanity investment . If they have such a jones to open up food establishments they should go the Junior Bridgeman route and open up McDonald’s or Wendy’s but then again you can’t pick up hot women in those kind of restaurants as the big shot owner can you ?

I loved those Junior Bridgeman, Sidney Moncreif, Marques Johnson, Brian Winters, Bob Lanier Bucks teams.

Last edited by Tad Queasy on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
badrogue17 wrote:
... they should go the Junior Bridgeman route and open up McDonald’s or Wendy’s ...

Plus, as Bridgeman apparently did, they need to fully understand what they are signing on for.

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Bridgeman#Post-playing_career

During the off-seasons of his playing career, Bridgeman used to work and learn the business model of Wendy's fast food restaurant franchise. After retiring from the NBA, he started owning various Wendy's and Chili's restaurants, and then sold them in 2016....

And yes, going the franchise route makes sense for MANY, as with that model you are buying an established system, rather than trying to come up with your own or rely on some smooth-talker to do it for you. But unless you are going to run them yourself you need the right operator or you are DOOMED.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Doesn't Frank Thomas have a restaurant?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Besides Ditka and Jordan , has any athlete ever had a good run as a restauranter in this city ?
Mongo has a sports bar that I guess does fairly well. Coomer has his new(ish) place in Lemont. I have never been, but heard good things.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:07 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:

I've heard Frank Thomas is a regular at his place, so I think he is heavily involved with the day-to-day operations.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Besides Ditka and Jordan , has any athlete ever had a good run as a restauranter in this city ?
Mongo has a sports bar that I guess does fairly well. Coomer has his new(ish) place in Lemont. I have never been, but heard good things.

I guess I meant over time. Seems like they open and fold ( like restaurants run by people who actually know what they're doing running them do ) within a couple years.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
a genius wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
... they should go the Junior Bridgeman route and open up McDonald’s or Wendy’s ...

Plus, as Bridgeman apparently did, they need to fully understand what they are signing on for.

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Bridgeman#Post-playing_career

During the off-seasons of his playing career, Bridgeman used to work and learn the business model of Wendy's fast food restaurant franchise. After retiring from the NBA, he started owning various Wendy's and Chili's restaurants, and then sold them in 2016....

And yes, going the franchise route makes sense for MANY, as with that model you are buying an established system, rather than trying to come up with your own or rely on some smooth-talker to do it for you. But unless you are going to run them yourself you need the right operator or you are DOOMED.

My favorite Junior Bridgeman story, which I heard a radio host re-tell one day when I was in Milwaukee: Somebody called one of the talk radio stations in Milwaukee and was really down because she saw Junior Bridgeman working in a Wendy's. How could he have spent all his money and ended up being stuck having to work an hourly job at a Wendy's?????

The host chuckled, and explained that Junior was in the Wendy's because he owned it, along with almost every Wendy's in the state of Wisconsin.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Magic Johnson tells the story of calling Abe Pollin, the owner of the Wizards at the time, and asking to meet with him in the off-season. It wasn't about basketball, he wanted to understand how Pollin made his fortune in business. How to network, how to understand opportunites, etc. Pollin put him in touch with a couple of people, and Magic started developing partnerships with companies like Loews' and Starbucks.

Smart superstars figure out how to leverage their generational wealth. The rest spend it on cars and restaurants and the like.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
The thing is though that you don't even have to leverage anything. In most case just tell your close family not that much, your outer family no and your "friends" see ya. Then even living decently with your money in a simple guaranteed interest investment you can live forever.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:19 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

I guess I meant over time. Seems like they open and fold ( like restaurants run by people who actually know what they're doing running them do ) within a couple years.

Yea, obviously the McDonalds thing is a safe bet, but I think it comes down to hiring good people. If you hire a great manager and staff, then you can just hangout playing cool owner guy whenever you want.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Douchebag wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

I've heard Frank Thomas is a regular at his place, so I think he is heavily involved with the day-to-day operations.

Yeah right? What could he do?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Didn't Gary Fencik have a good run as co-owner of the Hunt Club? I believe Walter Payton also owned a couple places in Mt. Prospect.

Buffone used to tell funny stories of his days as co-owner of a disco.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Didn't Paul Zipser have a restaurant?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:07 pm 

All athletes can't be Lebron James, making countless tv game shows that no one watches but have constant commercials that say "Lebron James has created this game show so you should watch it because Lebron James".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Tall Midget wrote:
Didn't Gary Fencik have a good run as co-owner of the Hunt Club? I believe Walter Payton also owned a couple places in Mt. Prospect.

Doug "owned" BBC and Sweetwater on Rush St where Gibson's now resides with a couple of JORR types.

Fencik appeared to do Ok with Hunt Club.

Payton owned two places in the Schaumburg Hyatt that were succeeded by a The Living Room which did far better financially there then Walter ever did because it was managed by a young Crest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Seacrest wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Doug "owned" BBC and Sweetwater on Rush St where Gibson's now resides with a couple of JORR types.

Fencik appeared to do Ok with Hunt Club.

Payton owned two places in the Schaumburg Hyatt that were succeeded by a The Living Room which did far better financially there then Walter ever did because it was managed by a young Crest

Payton was Studebakers or something? Jorr types?!? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:51 am 

pittmike wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Payton owned two places in the Schaumburg Hyatt ...

Studebakers was frequented by a young genius. Studebakers was definitely NOT in the Hyatt. It was on the south side of Golf, west of Meacham, as I recall in the same strip mall as the secretary of state office.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:42 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
a genius wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Payton owned two places in the Schaumburg Hyatt ...

Studebakers was frequented by a young genius. Studebakers was definitely NOT in the Hyatt. It was on the south side of Golf, west of Meacham, as I recall in the same strip mall as the secretary of state office.

You are correct about Studebakers. I think Payton’s place in the Hyatt was called the “34 Club.” IIRC, he also owned the Roundhouse in Aurora, which is now Two Brothers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

Didn't Chicago own a bar where Studebaker's was?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Reparations coming for him soon, no need to worry.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:52 am 

Yahoo wrote:
Why Lance Briggs should be the next Bears Hall of Famer

Vincent Parise
Thu, Feb 15, 2024, 7:00 AM CST

The Chicago Bears saw a few of their all-time greats make it to the Pro Football Hall of Fame last week — Devin Hester, Steve McMichael and Julius Peppers. The Bears were the first team to have three players (at least four years with the team) who made the Hall of Fame in the same year since the San Francisco 49ers in 2000.

These guys will be celebrated and rightfully so. It will also drive the conversation about who from the Bears’ storied history deserves to make it to Canton. A few really good candidates come to mind, but linebacker Lance Briggs is at the top of the list.

Briggs spent a lot of incredible years as a linebacker for the Bears after they drafted him in the third round of the 2003 NFL draft. From that moment on, he became a franchise legend. He should be in the Hall of Fame based on all of his accomplishments.

Was he as good as Brian Urlacher? No, he was not. Playing the same position at the same time as Urlacher might make some people question his legitimacy as a Hall of Fame candidate but it shouldn’t. Two elite players can play together at the same time. Just because one was slightly better doesn’t mean that the other should be punished.

There are a few numbers to support Briggs as a Hall of Famer with or without Urlacher around. For one, Urlacher missed the entire 2009 season after suffering an injury in Week 1. Briggs went on to lead Chicago in tackles with 118 that year. That effort earned him a trip to the Pro Bowl.

Briggs is a three-time All-Pro, seven-time Pro Bowler and among the 100 greatest Bears of All-Time.

He also had a total of six career defensive touchdowns, which are the third most in team history. Five of those were interceptions, which is the second most interception touchdown returns for any Bear ever. He had one in each of his first three NFL seasons, which are the most ever. There is no doubt that this guy was as impactful as anyone during his time.

We don’t know when Briggs’ time is going to come, but it should be soon. He’s been among the original 100-plus nominees, but he hasn’t yet made it to the semifinalist stage. Briggs is one of the best linebackers from his era and deserves to be recognized as such.

Story originally appeared on Bears Wire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:20 am 

I really liked Briggs and maybe it is just being compared to and playing with Urlacher, but I just dont see a HOFer in his career. He was the picture of hall of very good.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:22 am 

That is my take as well. Although I have heard the argument that it was Briggs that made Urlacher look better because he (Briggs) forced plays to go toward Urlacher which put Urlacher in a position to make the tackles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:34 am 

His last couple of years really soured me on him. I've gotten over it. Maybe it is his pairing with Lawrence that has softened things for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:47 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Briggs' numbers are comparable to those of Zach Thomas.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU