It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: John Kass
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:25 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:
Authorities confirmed that two police officers — TAC cops, not rookies — were making a drug arrest shortly after 2 p.m. on Sunday.

A mob appeared, threatening the officers, surrounding them, threatening to reach for their own weapons to shoot them dead, and the cops let the suspect go.

That's disturbing.

Nothing that truck drivers reguarly experience, though.

It is disturbing.

But the truck driver meme continues to be moronic. You're trying to meme a fact. As of 2016 truck drivers were almost twice as likely to die on the job as police officers.

I don't doubt for a second that their job is dangerous. When I was walking out of Jewel today I thanked the Hostess driver for risking his life every day. He offered to give me a free snowball, which was very generous, but I declined.

My grandfather was a truck driver. He would never talk about his job. All he would say when I asked him to tell me about is work is that he was not a hero but he served in the company of heroes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Kass wasn't demoted.

And he was wrongly accused of anti-Semitism for his George Soros column.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:25 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Tad Queasy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:
Authorities confirmed that two police officers — TAC cops, not rookies — were making a drug arrest shortly after 2 p.m. on Sunday.

A mob appeared, threatening the officers, surrounding them, threatening to reach for their own weapons to shoot them dead, and the cops let the suspect go.

That's disturbing.

It is disturbing.

But the truck driver meme continues to be moronic. You're trying to meme a fact. As of 2016 truck drivers were almost twice as likely to die on the job as police officers.

Not that Hostess was ever top shelf product, but i feel like since they made their "comeback" the quality is abysmal.

I don't doubt for a second that their job is dangerous. When I was walking out of Jewel today I thanked the Hostess driver for risking his life every day. He offered to give me a free snowball, which was very generous, but I declined.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:26 am 

Bagels wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:

That's disturbing.

It is disturbing.

Not that Hostess was ever top shelf product, but i feel like since they made their "comeback" the quality is abysmal.

Long time Bagels

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:39 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Kass wasn't demoted.

From what Feder wrote, they're going to put something like "WARNING: WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ IS AN OPINION COLUMN" or something before all his stuff.

I dunno, Kass kinda sucks, and everyone should know better than to write about (((SOROS))) conspiracies, but I don't like the Tribune insulting everyone's intelligence by having to label opinion columns as such so that no one can get mad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:42 am 

CH clearly on the SOROS payroll

Maybe he was in that totally real video of protesters chanting GEORGE SOROS WHERE'S OUR MONEY, that my girl Candace Owens frequently posts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:45 am 

Haha, I should totally apply for (((SOROS))) money. "Yes, I post on a Chicago sports media board with a bunch of petty authoritarians who get off on police brutality and also have complicated thoughts on radio program directors, and I try to get them to support Medicare for All for some reason. I'm asking for a grant of $6,000 to continue my very important work."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:53 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Kass wasn't demoted.

From what Feder wrote, they're going to put something like "WARNING: WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ IS AN OPINION COLUMN" or something before all his stuff.

I dunno, Kass kinda sucks, and everyone should know better than to write about (((SOROS))) conspiracies, but I don't like the Tribune insulting everyone's intelligence by having to label opinion columns as such so that no one can get mad.

I disagree with 97% of what Kass writes. That letter from the Illinois Jewish Legislative Caucus was wrong and dangerous. It amounted to "any criticism of George Soros is anti-Semitism".

And yeah it's pretty sad you have to put a warning label on an opinion column because people are too stupid to know the difference between it and a news article.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Long time Bagels

yea i fucked that one up. can't win em all

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
By moving Kass off of page 2, they can more easily control the word count on his columns and cite printed paper constraints.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Kass wasn't demoted.

The Soros shit is annoying. I saw Bernstein retweet this

https://www.oneillinois.com/stories/202 ... le-dogs-do

Quote:
He then went on to mention Soros no fewer than eight times, stating that the “Soros money … influence on these races is undeniable … against more law-and-order candidates.”

Kass might feign innocence, but he knows as well as anyone in the media that Soros has an all-but-literal target on his back among anti-Semites, where his name is on par with the Nazi demonization of the Rothschilds in the ‘30s and ‘40s. This is coded language, widely recognized, and Kass can’t claim not to know the code. That’s eight sharp, shrill dog whistles.

This is ridiculous. It’s an absolute fact what Kass wrote. Kass is getting buried by people for simply stating the very obvious and very well known fact that Soros spends a shitload of money influencing political races and movements?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:03 pm 

Progressives: Everyone should demand we get money out of politics!

Also progressives: It’s dangerous anti Semitic tropes to criticize Soros for spending a shitload of money influencing political races!

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:15 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Kass wasn't demoted.

Quote:
He then went on to mention Soros no fewer than eight times, stating that the “Soros money … influence on these races is undeniable … against more law-and-order candidates.”

Kass might feign innocence, but he knows as well as anyone in the media that Soros has an all-but-literal target on his back among anti-Semites, where his name is on par with the Nazi demonization of the Rothschilds in the ‘30s and ‘40s. This is coded language, widely recognized, and Kass can’t claim not to know the code. That’s eight sharp, shrill dog whistles.

This is ridiculous. It’s an absolute fact what Kass wrote. Kass is getting buried by people for simply stating the very obvious and very well known fact that Soros spends a shitload of money influencing political races and movements?

Wasn't this the same argument that you made with respect to the Rothschilds' owning "all the banks"?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:18 pm 

No that’s completely different because the Rothchilds don’t own all the banks.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:23 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
No that’s completely different because the Rothchilds don’t own all the banks.

They have ownership in a great number of them and there have been books written which have labeled them the "World's Banker". It was an exaggeration to say that they owned "all the banks". It isn't a negative stereotype which was my point.
He exaggerated. If they were not involved in banking at all or didn't have the level of influence in banking that they have then it would have been stereotypical. Theirs have been termed a "dynasty" and an "empire".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:26 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Kass is getting buried by people for simply stating the very obvious and very well known fact

A lot of people have been getting buried for doing this.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:28 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Kass is getting buried by people for simply stating the very obvious and very well known fact

A lot of people have been getting buried for doing this.

I don’t disagree but I’m guessing we would disagree on what we consider certain examples of it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:30 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Kass wasn't demoted.

Quote:

https://capitolfax.com/2020/07/27/illin ... -semitism/

"Although the vast majority of Soros-related conspiracy theories do not mention his Jewish heritage, the concern remains that they can serve as a gateway to the antisemitic subculture..."

That makes any criticism of Soros anti-Semitic. It's ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:33 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Kass wasn't demoted.

Quote:

https://capitolfax.com/2020/07/27/illin ... -semitism/

"Although the vast majority of Soros-related conspiracy theories do not mention his Jewish heritage, the concern remains that they can serve as a gateway to the antisemitic subculture..."

That makes any criticism of Soros anti-Semitic. It's ridiculous.

It's not just Soros. It's any criticism of Israel too. That's dangerous. No one is infallible.

Ironically Soros himself has been called an Anti Semite by Jewish people from the right.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:51 pm 

How influential is Soros or did Kass overstate the level of his influence? I often have felt that his level of influence has been overstated but maybe it isn't?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:02 pm 

long time guy wrote:
How influential is Soros or did Kass overstate the level of his influence? I often have felt that his level of influence has been overstated but maybe it isn't?

His PAC is hugely influential, especially in local races.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:36 pm 

Apparently quit the Tribune today.
Edit : took a buyout .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:48 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Great. Now where am I going to be able to read about peaches so sweet that they'll crack my jaw bones?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:59 pm 

Zorn is gone, too, but I bet Rex Huppke will stick around doing political humor for people who find The Late Show with Stephen Colbert too hard-hitting until the place closes for good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:30 pm 

I haven't read his crap in 15+ years. Won't be missed.

Is that pretentious clown Neil Steinberg still writing somewhere?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:47 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Who the fuck reads the tribune anyway?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
This board is to JDC as I am to John Kass. He drives me nuts but I still read him anyway. That being said, he is good for two things: he covers some political corruption stories and Outfit stories that no one else covers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:31 pm 

Kass is wonderful when he is writing Chicago centric columns. That will be dearly missed.

His national stuff is just Fox News regurgitation that you can get in any of 100 other places.

I don’t understand why these guys want to deviate from local topics, that is the reason I read the Tribune, not some shit on Hunter Biden.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Darkside wrote:
Who the fuck reads the tribune anyway?

When I was little I'd do the word search every week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next