It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Comcast Internet
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:24 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
My son told me I have to get off the internet because he got a text from comcast that he's at like 90 percent of his data usage for the month.

WTF.

He has the best plan I think and he's almost out???? Its just me, my lady friend, him, and his gf that are living here. My son, his gf, my lady friend use the internet mainly for work. And my son and his gf will play videogames also. I have to use it to track shit back home and for fucking around on websites like this.

Fucking comcast squeezing people in the middle of a fucking pandemic! Complete bullshit! I told my son to call these mofo's first thing Monday morning and threaten to cancel but they got customers over here by the balls because I hear ATT sucks.

Post subject: Re: Comcast Internet
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:30 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Anyone know of software that can identify how much data is being used by device or IP? I’m also getting close to my cap and have 49 devices on the network.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:03 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Having dealt with this myself, there are two options (duh): reduce data usage, or remove the data cap.

Identifying usage can be a little tough because you're dealing with a few different devices across your Wi-Fi network. Streaming TV services are an obvious data sinkhole, but there's not much to be done about them, as you're either watching TV or not, and unless you want to set every quality option to the requisite "low" setting and try to enjoy Pixelated Gilmore Girls, you're just going to have to deal with the usage that comes with everyday use of your devices that connect to the Comcast network every day. You can start by closing the MANY apps not in use when you are in the network range, turning off Wi-Fi at certain times and relying on cellular data, and using a PC to actually manage the router and make sure the devices connected to your network are only your own (just in case a neighbor figured out your password, for instance).

In my experience, though, the best option is to call comcast and say "customer retention" over and over to the automated system until you speak with someone in that department, and tell them you're considering cancelling the service over your data cap overages. They usually have a few options that range from paying a little bit extra a month for no data cap, to simply switching out your modem hardware to something more modern (so they can run their cellular data network in the background) with no charge and an unlimited data plan at "no extra charge".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:26 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Anyone know of software that can identify how much data is being used by device or IP? I’m also getting close to my cap and have 49 devices on the network.

Install this on an existing router:

https://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq

or get a MikroTik router with their RouterOS,

they have devices at different price points depending on need but for the typical home user something like this would be more than sufficient:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079SD8NVQ/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:04 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Where do you live? I don't think they have a cap in Illinois. 70 bucks a month is too much for a cap. They better not pull that crap on me!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
We called them this morning - didnt want to wait because my son got a text in the middle of the night saying he went over the limit and he will be charged $10 every 50 giga's or something.

Here is what they said :

-$10 overage usage charge will be cancelled. I guess because we called to complain (??).
-They said that if you want unlimited data, it's $11/mo. Usually it's $50/mo but due to the pandemic they made it 11.
-So we haggled and we asked them to make us a deal so we can stay w/ comcast.
-Guy countered with the following : 1 FREE year of Netflix or HBO , along with Showtime + the fastest internet and the unlimited data plan- it came out to be a $10 savings from what my son's current bill is.

So we said we would think about it just to put the screws onto them. He said the deal would be valid for another 24 hours. Going to wait it out and call back tomorrow to see if these assholes give something more.

But what do you guys think about that deal? is it good?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Yes that's a good deal. 10 bucks a month cheaper plus a free year of HBO and Showtime. Remember to cancel the HBO and Showtime.