It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Simone Biles
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:16 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Hussra wrote:
I heard some gymnast commentator say she thought Biles was on the team this go round partly as a result
of the Nassar thing. Biles wanted to be on the team to keep an eye on the girls to make sure they weren't experiencing any mistreatment; which good on her if that's the case. Also, the gymnast mentioned that the gymnastics community places as much or even more blame on Béla Károlyi and his wife for what happened as they do Nassar. Apparently the Karolyi's were real fuckers and fostered a super toxic environment in which the girls trained.

Maybe if these games had taken place 12 months ago Biles would've been in a better place mentally/physically to compete? Dunno how much of a diff there is between 23 and 24, both seem exceptionally aged for an Olympic gymnast. But then there's that 46 year old Uzbekistani chick, so who knows.

Then be a coach. That sounds like a total bullshit reason to be on the team.

She won the Olympic trials.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
conns7901 wrote:
Hussra wrote:
I heard some gymnast commentator say she thought Biles was on the team this go round partly as a result
of the Nassar thing. Biles wanted to be on the team to keep an eye on the girls to make sure they weren't experiencing any mistreatment; which good on her if that's the case. Also, the gymnast mentioned that the gymnastics community places as much or even more blame on Béla Károlyi and his wife for what happened as they do Nassar. Apparently the Karolyi's were real fuckers and fostered a super toxic environment in which the girls trained.

Maybe if these games had taken place 12 months ago Biles would've been in a better place mentally/physically to compete? Dunno how much of a diff there is between 23 and 24, both seem exceptionally aged for an Olympic gymnast. But then there's that 46 year old Uzbekistani chick, so who knows.

Did you read the post suggesting she wasn’t there to compete but to look out for others?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:54 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Hussra wrote:

Did you read the post suggesting she wasn’t there to compete but to look out for others?

Do you understand she won, auto qualified and was not a charity case to look out for others?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:11 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
The 2022 Miracle on Ice will be players talking about their feelings and finishing sixth.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:33 am 

Was it "mental health" or was it the twisties?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:37 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
Brick wrote:
Was it "mental health" or was it the twisties?

Twisties are part of mental health according to other gymnasts. I'm sure that you know that it isn't despite never having heard of the term prior to one week ago.

Quote:
What are the “twisties?” Gymnasts explain it's sort of like your mind and body disconnecting mid-air, so you're not quite sure where you're at mid-flip, making it hard to land safely. “I've had the twisties since I was 11,” said fellow Olympic athlete Leah Finnegan on

Quote:
To make twisties easy to understand, it can be explained as a kind of block in the mind which Christina Myers, a strength coach, says is “when your body stops doing what you want it to do.”

She explains that it can mean the body can add or delete twists or flips from what an athlete initially had set out to do.

“The twisties can absolutely happen even in skills you’ve done a 1000x. And as I mentioned earlier, your conscious brain WANTS to do the skill right, and the rest of your body just says no,” Myers said in a series of tweets.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

Last edited by The Missing Link on Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:41 am 

conns7901 wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Hussra wrote:

Do you understand she won, auto qualified and was not a charity case to look out for others?

She didn't win. And if her motivation was to qualify, deny someone else a spot, not compete, but "lookout for other gymnasts" as suggested it was a strange decision to be on the team.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:43 am 

But, if we are counting that as "mental health" then it's pretty much meaningless in regards to athletic competition. Any player in a shooting slump or who runs slower than they would normally can just say it was "mental health". If Kevin Durant goes 2/15 in the Gold Medal game can he just say he had a case of the "shootsies"?

It just seems to be really stretching the definition of mental health to include "When I'm in the air twisting around I don't know where the ground is" with things like depression and the fallout of abuse.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:51 am 

Brick wrote:
But, if we are counting that as "mental health" then it's pretty much meaningless in regards to athletic competition. Any player in a shooting slump or who runs slower than they would normally can just say it was "mental health". If Kevin Durant goes 2/15 in the Gold Medal game can he just say he had a case of the "shootsies"?.

Can a "shooting slump" or running "slower" potentially cause paralysis?

Just asking a question.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:58 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:
But, if we are counting that as "mental health" then it's pretty much meaningless in regards to athletic competition. Any player in a shooting slump or who runs slower than they would normally can just say it was "mental health". If Kevin Durant goes 2/15 in the Gold Medal game can he just say he had a case of the "shootsies"?.

Just asking a question.
Gymnastics in general can cause paralysis. I can make a football related comparison instead if that changes things.

However, when you "Just asked questions" there it does actually help my point. The danger of the sport and the avoidance of injury isn't a mental health issue.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:04 am 

If her people had half a brain they’d be putting out feelers to Domino’s to get her to endorse their Twisty Bread .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:07 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
MANY sports are dangerous. Has a ski jumper pulled out of elite competition because they suddenly thought they might crash due to mental health?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:15 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
MANY sports are dangerous. Has a ski jumper pulled out of elite competition because they suddenly thought they might crash due to mental health?

This person pulled out a week before the games.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... tal-health

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:18 am 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/o ... story.html

Quote:
Most of the sports that fall under the U.S. Olympic Committee’s vast umbrella have psychologists on staff who specialize in performance enhancement. One key is focusing on the task at hand, ignoring outside stressors. In short, athletes say there’s no room for fear. It can only compromise their performance.

“That’s when you see yourself make errors,” said Brown, the skier who’s prepping for his Olympic debut. “The whole point is being confident, knowing you can do these things. . . . It’s one of those things where you have to get out of your head. You can’t really think of it that way.”

But when an athlete has already suffered catastrophe, the injury can linger, not unlike the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder, according to Edward Chavez, a sports psychologist who runs the Colorado Springs-based Institute of Optimal Performance. Elite athletes already have experience navigating pressure, facing adversity, mentally preparing for competition. To block out fear, psychologists rely on visualization techniques and mental conditioning.

“It’s building their belief system,” Chavez said. “If they can visualize it in their mind over and over again — working on that part of the brain that’s responsible for muscle memory — the more they do that visually, the more that part of the brain becomes conditioned.”

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:20 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Brick wrote:
But, if we are counting that as "mental health" then it's pretty much meaningless in regards to athletic competition. Any player in a shooting slump or who runs slower than they would normally can just say it was "mental health". If Kevin Durant goes 2/15 in the Gold Medal game can he just say he had a case of the "shootsies"?

It just seems to be really stretching the definition of mental health to include "When I'm in the air twisting around I don't know where the ground is" with things like depression and the fallout of abuse.

Brick out here denying people their lived experience. Very sad!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:21 am 

pizza_Place: What??
I think a change in thinking might be called for. If you lose confidence while 20 feet in the air, it's a problem that maybe shouldn't be mocked. If that's my son or daughter......

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:21 am 

Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:

Just asking a question.
Gymnastics in general can cause paralysis. I can make a football related comparison instead if that changes things.

However, when you "Just asked questions" there it does actually help my point. The danger of the sport and the avoidance of injury isn't a mental health issue.

A question that you neglected to answer. Shocking!

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:24 am 

Nardi wrote:
I think a change in thinking might be called for. If you lose confidence while 20 feet in the air, it's a problem that maybe shouldn't be mocked. If that's my son or daughter......

I fully believe that to be the case. I just think it's wrong to put "lost of confidence in the air" on the same level as depression or panic attacks. She walked off the gymnastics field and her mental health issue was solved.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:27 am 

Nardi wrote:

I remember back in the 90s when Sparky the Clown was getting involved , doing backflips in the air and shit . He never really recovered from that .

Last edited by badrogue17 on Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:28 am 

Brick wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I fully believe that to be the case. I just think it's wrong to put "lost of confidence in the air" on the same level as depression or panic attacks. She walked off the gymnastics field and her mental health issue was solved.

Well solved for that day anyway .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:31 am 

Brick wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Well yeah considering that her issue was related to performance on a gymnastics mat it should have been. Shouldn't it? Just asking a question.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:33 am 

Nardi wrote:

It's odd seeing a bunch of guys that wouldn't run a full sprint for "fear" they might blow a hamstring lecture someone about "courage"

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:35 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Capitalizing the "L" in lecture. You sly dog.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:37 am 

So it seems we've determined that it was performance anxiety rather than mental health, but if you try to say that well you can't run at a full sprint or something.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:37 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Jaw Breaker wrote:

You mean the jumpsies?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:39 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:
Capitalizing the "L" in lecture. You sly dog.

Probably should have changed sprint to jog with this crowd.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:40 am 

So it seems we've determined that it was performance anxiety rather than mental health, but if you try to say that well you can't run at a full sprint or something.

Reading is a skill.
The Missing Link wrote:
Or Sax or Knoblauch forgetting how to throw from 2nd to first base. She had the Gymnastic equivalent of the "yips" it seems

Said this before I ever knew what the hell Twisties was.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:46 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
Nardi wrote:

It's odd seeing a bunch of guys that wouldn't run a full sprint for "fear" they might blow a hamstring lecture someone about "courage"

I could if Larry Nassar was chasing me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:47 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Well yeah considering that her issue was related to performance on a gymnastics mat it should have been. Shouldn't it? Just asking a question.

Yes. Thank you for restating my thought as a question so I could answer it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:47 am 

The Missing Link wrote:

Reading is a skill.

Which both you and your dumbass students lack. But scoring proficiently on reading tests is a mental healthy issue. The readsies. And you can die from it. Ever misread the recommended number of Tylenol? Or mess up and not consult your doctor before taking an Advil because you misread it?

The Missing Link wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next