It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Simone Biles
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:57 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
So it seems we've determined that it was performance anxiety rather than mental health, but if you try to say that well you can't run at a full sprint or something.

Reading is a skill.

Which both you and your dumbass students lack. But scoring proficiently on reading tests is a mental healthy issue. The readsies. And you can die from it. Ever misread the recommended number of Tylenol? Or mess up and not consult your doctor before taking an Advil because you misread it?

You are barely literate, never actually have a thought that wasn't first mentioned by Jorr or Twitter and can't draw heat to this place if someone provided your dumbass with a blowtorch yet you consistently question other people's intellectual capacities.

That you are rather stupid is a foregone conclusion at this point and I'm fairly certain that the students I instruct would run laps around you. In fact seeing as there needs to be benchmark SAT scores in order to be enrolled in the class I'm certain your rudimentary level reading ass wouldn't even make the cut! :lol: :lol:

Outside of the Right Wing echo chamber there isn't one person here that gives a shit about your mundane thoughts.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:20 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I have no issue with Biles withdrawing because of performance anxiety. The problem some of us have is in the praise being heaped on her for her failure. And that's what it is...failure. Whether physical or mental, she failed to perform compared to her competitors. She deserves sympathy or empathy, but not praise.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I have no issue with Biles withdrawing because of performance anxiety. The problem some of us have is in the praise being heaped on her for her failure. And that's what it is...failure. Whether physical or mental, she failed to perform compared to her competitors. She deserves sympathy or empathy, but not praise.

this guy gets it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:35 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

That's fair. Most of the criticism that I have read on here has been directed at her though.

She's "rich". She quit because she "had a bad performance" "athletes in other sports fight through it" etc.

As long as I have watched and played sports I have seen this. At every level. In football for as long as I can remember there have been receivers that wouldn't "go over the middle". In baseball there have been players that refuse to slide or dive for a ball. Others would rather avoid the tag than "barrel into the catcher" In hoops you know the guys that are "afraid of the contact".

All of these occur at the professional level too. Unfortunately we do not notice it because it rarely if ever will force a person to quit. Gymnastics is different though. She cannot avoid flipping and twisting in the air and still perform effectively. That's the difference.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
So the difference is she can't perform gymnastics. That's some brilliant insight. It's exactly the same as not diving for a ball.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
badrogue17 wrote:
hnd wrote:
I guess i just don't get this whole thing. i don't get being mad, i don't get overtly defensive, we literally have no idea who this person really is. she became worldwide famous for doing her gig in 2016. was victimized in a huge sexual abuse scandal, all before the age of what 24? and we are all surprised that she's likely absolutely messed up and those "yips" might come at the worst possible time?

Heavy is the head that wears the GOAT leotard .

did she self proclaim it? require the limelight? or a kid likely being directed continuously by bad agents with their own agenda perhaps unknowingly or knowingly manipulating taking advantage of a broken person due to sexual abuse? on the other hand she might be the worst person in the world, a spoiled brat. I have no idea and only care enough to spend the few minutes responding that I have.

I think much of the blame can be placed largely on whoever was giving everyone information. it all seemed poorly orchestrated and left anyone who cared (lots of you people obviously) going what is actually happening.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
hnd wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
hnd wrote:
I guess i just don't get this whole thing. i don't get being mad, i don't get overtly defensive, we literally have no idea who this person really is. she became worldwide famous for doing her gig in 2016. was victimized in a huge sexual abuse scandal, all before the age of what 24? and we are all surprised that she's likely absolutely messed up and those "yips" might come at the worst possible time?

Heavy is the head that wears the GOAT leotard .

did she self proclaim it? require the limelight? or a kid likely being directed continuously by bad agents with their own agenda perhaps unknowingly or knowingly manipulating taking advantage of a broken person due to sexual abuse? on the other hand she might be the worst person in the world, a spoiled brat. I have no idea and only care enough to spend the few minutes responding that I have.

I hadn't thought about the agent/handler angle...if they're the ones who convinced her to do that, it's sad. I mentioned earlier I was open to the possibility she did it not to be arrogant but to subconsciously convince herself she was capable of overcoming whatever demons she apparently knew were going to be trouble. Does anyone know if she had been wearing the GOAT on her clothing prior to other competitions?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:21 am 

So the difference is she can't perform gymnastics. That's some brilliant insight. It's exactly the same as not diving for a ball.
" Wow! he disagreed just for the sake of disagreeing! Shocking! Bet it took great "insight" in order to think of this :lol: :lol:

What are the odds that Brogue is impressed by the thoughts of such a "deep thinker" :lol: :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:58 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
" Wow! he disagreed just for the sake of disagreeing! Shocking! Bet it took great "insight" in order to think of this :lol: :lol:

What are the odds that Brogue is impressed by the thoughts of such a "deep thinker" :lol: :lol:

Not sliding in baseball is now mental illness.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:04 am 

Penny for his (only due to inflation) "thoughts" Brogue? Just asking a question :lol: :lol: :lol:
So it seems we've determined that it was performance anxiety rather than mental health, but if you try to say that well you can't run at a full sprint or something.

Which both you and your dumbass students lack. But scoring proficiently on reading tests is a mental healthy issue. The readsies. And you can die from it. Ever misread the recommended number of Tylenol? Or mess up and not consult your doctor before taking an Advil because you misread it?

Not sliding in baseball is now mental illness.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:20 am 

conns7901 wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Hussra wrote:
I heard some gymnast commentator say she thought Biles was on the team this go round partly as a result
of the Nassar thing. Biles wanted to be on the team to keep an eye on the girls to make sure they weren't experiencing any mistreatment; which good on her if that's the case. Also, the gymnast mentioned that the gymnastics community places as much or even more blame on Béla Károlyi and his wife for what happened as they do Nassar. Apparently the Karolyi's were real fuckers and fostered a super toxic environment in which the girls trained.

Maybe if these games had taken place 12 months ago Biles would've been in a better place mentally/physically to compete? Dunno how much of a diff there is between 23 and 24, both seem exceptionally aged for an Olympic gymnast. But then there's that 46 year old Uzbekistani chick, so who knows.

Then be a coach. That sounds like a total bullshit reason to be on the team.

She won the Olympic trials.

Did you read the post suggesting she wasn’t there to compete but to look out for others?

Do you understand she won, auto qualified and was not a charity case to look out for others?

She didn't win. And if her motivation was to qualify, deny someone else a spot,, not compete but "lookout for other gymnasts" as suggested it was a strange decision to be on the team.

No one but him actually suggested that this was actually her "motivation". Again "Deep thinker" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:31 am 

Talk about reading comprehension issues.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:39 am 

Talk about reading comprehension issues.

Talk about a vague assessment. What are the odds that you can specifically state where it is that these "comprehension issues" arose? Again just asking a question :lol: :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
The Missing Link wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

That's fair. Most of the criticism that I have read on here has been directed at her though.

She's "rich". She quit because she "had a bad performance" "athletes in other sports fight through it" etc.

As long as I have watched and played sports I have seen this. At every level. In football for as long as I can remember there have been receivers that wouldn't "go over the middle". In baseball there have been players that refuse to slide or dive for a ball. Others would rather avoid the tag than "barrel into the catcher" In hoops you know the guys that are "afraid of the contact".

All of these occur at the professional level too. Unfortunately we do not notice it because it rarely if ever will force a person to quit. Gymnastics is different though. She cannot avoid flipping and twisting in the air and still perform effectively. That's the difference.

She was wearing a freaking G.O.A.T. outfit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:03 am 

chaspoppcap wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Well that is what you hammer her on. She cannot claim that from now on or it is now debatable.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:13 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Working that quote function.

Well that is what you hammer her on. She cannot claim that from now on or it is now debatable.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:15 am 

chaspoppcap wrote:

Then criticize here for that. She wouldn't be the first athlete to proclaim herself the greatest when she actually is not. Whereas it might not have been debatable previously it is now. Or perhaps she knocked herself out of the conversation.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:57 am 

man do none of us remember who easily influenced and generally stupid we were when we were 24? or was that just me?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I read this thread differently. I don’t see most posters ripping on her for having a performance issue.

The complaint seems to be forgiving her due to “mental illness.” I know she takes Rittelan, so perhaps she has ADHD. But equating “the twisties” with clinical depression, bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia or other serious mental illnesses seems to make light of mental health issues as a whole.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
hnd wrote:
man do none of us remember who easily influenced and generally stupid we were when we were 24? or was that just me?
I rememeber 22 year old Josh Becket dominating the Yankees in Yankee Stadium during the World Series. Some athletes shine with the pressure is on. Others wilt.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:47 pm 

Heisenberg wrote:
I read this thread differently. I don’t see most posters ripping on her for having a performance issue.

The complaint seems to be forgiving her due to “mental illness.” I know she takes Rittelan, so perhaps she has ADHD. But equating “the twisties” with clinical depression, bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia or other serious mental illnesses seems to make light of mental health issues as a whole.

She may not be able to differentiate between what a mental health issue happens to be and Twisties. And I do think that she has ADHD also. I read that somewhere.
And there are a great number of people ripping on her for having anxiety.

If they weren't we wouldn't be 17 pages in.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
The Missing Link wrote:

to be fair, any thread you're actively posting in has a decent chance to get to double digit pages

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:51 pm 

Bagels wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

to be fair, any thread you're actively posting in has a decent chance to get to double digit pages

I haven't really carried the water on this one though. This is an EEO thread.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The Missing Link wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

She may not be able to differentiate between what a mental health issue happens to be and Twisties. And I do think that she has ADHD also. I read that somewhere.
And there are a great number of people ripping on her for having anxiety.

Well, she may not understand the difference, and that’s fine. I don’t think Simone is going on the talk show circuit claiming she has “mental health issues.”

It really is the writers/TV Personalities/JDC’s of the world calling this a “mental health issue.” Frankly, it’s insulting to those of us who have lost loved ones to suicide due to depression.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:37 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
hnd wrote:
I rememeber 22 year old Josh Becket dominating the Yankees in Yankee Stadium during the World Series. Some athletes shine with the pressure is on. Others wilt.

you are right, i had forgotten when previously he was exhaulted as the GOAT. my bad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
J Toews played the entire Stanley Cup playoffs with a broken foot, told no one ,was the MVP.

Other athletes have played through being hurt and not made a big deal of it. If she wants to claim anxiety thats fine but she needs to drop the goat stuff and not place herself above her teammates. Olympic Gymnastic is in the end a team sport. She hurt her team. She is not being called to the carpet on that for specific reasons we all know what they are.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:08 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:
J Toews played the entire Stanley Cup playoffs with a broken foot, told no one ,was the MVP.

Other athletes have played through being hurt and not made a big deal of it. If she wants to claim anxiety thats fine but she needs to drop the goat stuff and not place herself above her teammates. Olympic Gymnastic is in the end a team sport. She hurt her team. She is not being called to the carpet on that for specific reasons we all know what they are.

1. So your beef is due to her being acknowledged as the GOAT?

2. She let her team down?

3. And people are refusing to bash her for fear of being referred to as a racist?

4. And oh yeah let us not forget that Toews "gutted" it out with a broken foot in a completely different sport and no one praised him for it?

Just Asking Questions.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Heisenberg wrote:

that and her incredible hubris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
There’s a small amount of irony contrasting some big corporate sponsor’s Paralympics advert with this story.

The ad is all about recognizing mental hurdles, overcoming them and confronting physical obstacles (e.g., paralysis, no hands, etc.). You know, traditional stuff.

This lady is celebrated for getting the twisties and being brave or something. Honestly I’m not sure anymore. Classic culture war battle…

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:48 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
I think my original take is proving true.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next