It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: GOAT Talk
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Nas wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:
Tom Brady is objectively the greatest NFL player ever and arguably the greatest player in the history of team sports.

The 1st half of that statement may very well be true, but Wayne Gretzky's stats are so far beyond any other player that I'm not sure he has any competition on the latter comment.

Four Cups in the slave era of hockey doesn't trump 7 in the free agency era of football. Brady also owns most passing records. I was open to the Gretzky and Ruth argument. That's why I Saif arguably for Brady
It's a pretty easy argument to make. Wayne Gretzky played 20 seasons for 4 teams, including the Oilers and Kings. He had 894 goals, 1,963 assists and a plus-minus of +520 in 1,487 games. He won 9 Hart Trophies, 5 Lady Byng Trophies, 2 Conn Smythe Trophies and 4 Stanley Cups.

The crazy stats which put his relative greatness in perspective include:
-Gretzky won the scoring title by more than 70 points – six times. The past six NHL scoring races were decided by a combined 60 points. Only one non-Gretzky player has even won the scoring race by more than 30 points.
-If Gretzky never scored a goal, he still would’ve recorded 11 straight 100-point seasons and won four scoring titles. A no-goal Gretzky would still have the most 100-point seasons of all-time, and he’d be tied for the fifth-most scoring titles.
-Gretzky won eight consecutive MVPs at one point. In the NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB, no other player has won more than four consecutive MVPs.
-Only five players have recorded 150 or more points in a season. Gretzky did it nine times, a.k.a. in 45 percent of his seasons.
-Gretzky is the only player to record a 200-point season, and he did it four times.
-In a two-season stretch from 1983-84 to 1984-85, Gretzky scored 23 shorthanded goals. Only 52 players have more than 23 career shorties, and Gretzky has 73 in total, the most all-time.
-Gretzky led the league in assists in each of his first 13 seasons, and 16 times overall – 80 percent of his seasons.
-If you only counted Gretzky’s seasons after turning 30, he’d still rank fourth all-time in points per game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:
Tom Brady is objectively the greatest NFL player ever and arguably the greatest player in the history of team sports.

The 1st half of that statement may very well be true, but Wayne Gretzky's stats are so far beyond any other player that I'm not sure he has any competition on the latter comment.

Four Cups in the slave era of hockey doesn't trump 7 in the free agency era of football. Brady also owns most passing records. I was open to the Gretzky and Ruth argument. That's why I Saif arguably for Brady
It's a pretty easy argument to make. Wayne Gretzky played 20 seasons for 4 teams, including the Oilers and Kings. He had 894 goals, 1,963 assists and a plus-minus of +520 in 1,487 games. He won 9 Hart Trophies, 5 Lady Byng Trophies, 2 Conn Smythe Trophies and 4 Stanley Cups.

-Gretzky won the scoring title by more than 70 points – six times. The past six NHL scoring races were decided by a combined 60 points. Only one non-Gretzky player has even won the scoring race by more than 30 points.
-If Gretzky never scored a goal, he still would’ve recorded 11 straight 100-point seasons and won four scoring titles. A no-goal Gretzky would still have the most 100-point seasons of all-time, and he’d be tied for the fifth-most scoring titles.
-Gretzky won eight consecutive MVPs at one point. In the NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB, no other player has won more than four consecutive MVPs.
-Only five players have recorded 150 or more points in a season. Gretzky did it nine times, a.k.a. in 45 percent of his seasons.
-Gretzky is the only player to record a 200-point season, and he did it four times.
-In a two-season stretch from 1983-84 to 1984-85, Gretzky scored 23 shorthanded goals. Only 52 players have more than 23 career shorties, and Gretzky has 73 in total, the most all-time.
-Gretzky led the league in assists in each of his first 13 seasons, and 16 times overall – 80 percent of his seasons.
-If you only counted Gretzky’s seasons after turning 30, he’d still rank fourth all-time in points per game.

As great as he was, he only won 4 times. If you aren't winning, you're just compiling stats. I don't want to consider Gretzky the LeBron or a championshipless Ruth of hockey. However, his inability to win more cups allows Brady to be in the argument of greatest player in the history of team sports. .

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:10 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
GOAT is just a superlative rather than an expression of truth...like rockstar.

The more you young fanboys chirp, the stronger I want to argue in favor of Joe Montana. Who also btw never lost a title game or had to be a sidekick to the defense.

Montana played before free agency. Players were slaves to an organization. Montana played for the greatest offensive mind in NFL history. He had the greatest WR in NFL history on his roster for 3 SB and had one of the greatest supporting casts in NFL history.

With the roster and free agency disadvantages, Brady still won as many titles AFTER 35 as Montana won in his entire career. Brady did it on multiple teams. Something Sketchers Joe failed to do in Kansas City.

This is slightly off topic but I tend to view the GOAT conversation colored more by great and truly memorable plays. No, Montana didn’t play during free agency, but he got hit often and hard unlike Brady. And with only the one special season with Moss, there were no special moments or plays from Brady. I think it separates Jordan, Montana, Tiger and Gretzky from great compilers like LeBron and Brady.

I was never a huge Montana fan. This is when I actually watched a lot more football than I do now. I always had Elway and Marino over Montana back then.

I was probably swayed too much by the number of times Montana and Walsh were drawing up plays in the dirt and on the sidelines (& the rings) to put them on par with Joe. And they couldn’t get it done for years if at all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:15 pm 

Nas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
GOAT is just a superlative rather than an expression of truth...like rockstar.

The more you young fanboys chirp, the stronger I want to argue in favor of Joe Montana. Who also btw never lost a title game or had to be a sidekick to the defense.

Montana played before free agency. Players were slaves to an organization. Montana played for the greatest offensive mind in NFL history. He had the greatest WR in NFL history on his roster for 3 SB and had one of the greatest supporting casts in NFL history.

With the roster and free agency disadvantages, Brady still won as many titles AFTER 35 as Montana won in his entire career. Brady did it on multiple teams. Something Sketchers Joe failed to do in Kansas City.

This is slightly off topic but I tend to view the GOAT conversation colored more by great and truly memorable plays. No, Montana didn’t play during free agency, but he got hit often and hard unlike Brady. And with only the one special season with Moss, there were no special moments or plays from Brady. I think it separates Jordan, Montana, Tiger and Gretzky from great compilers like LeBron and Brady.

We saw Brady rise to the occasion in nearly every pressure situation. Just because no drive or play sticks out in your Montana loving mind doesn't change how great Brady was.

Brady has more yards, more touchdowns, more playoff wins, and just as many Super Bowls after the age of 35 than Montana had in his entire career.

He had his usual great defense that beat the Rams, played a stupid Atlanta team and a coaching staff from Seattle that ran the dumbest play in NFL history. Not to mention getting beat by Nick Foles. And arguably was just ok unless Gronk was on the field

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
Regular Reader wrote:
I was probably swayed too much by the number of times Montana and Walsh were drawing up plays in the dirt and on the sidelines (& the rings) to put them on par with Joe. And they couldn’t get it done for years if at all.

One of the reasons is that I was always partial to guys that had rockets for arms. Marino and Elway had those and Montana did not. The other reason is that both got more done with less. Though Marino never won the big one he did get to a Super Bowl and some AFC championship games. And he got there with supporting casts that were nowhere near as good as Montana's. Elway had junk around him during those earlier Super Bowl runs and yet still managed to get his team there anyway. That is why I have always been partial to him and Marino over Montana.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:23 pm 

The Missing Link talking offseason out of town football. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Brick wrote:
:lol: :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:31 pm 

Brick wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:

As great as he was, he only won 4 times. If you aren't winning, you're just compiling stats. I don't want to consider Gretzky the LeBron or a championshipless Ruth of hockey. However, his inability to win more cups allows Brady to be in the argument of greatest player in the history of team sports. .

He certainly doesn't match Gretzky's numbers but Bobby Orr completely changed the way the game was played.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
conns7901 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

There are all manner of arguments to be made in favor of various players. I don't care enough to make them. Some of them have been made here already. As I've said before, I think the idea of an indisputable GOAT is silly.

I generally agree its not really possible to measure the greatest. You could probably do eras, but that is about it. Rule changes, ways people diet and exercise, equipment and performance enhancing drugs vary from era to era.

Take Jesse Owens for example. He long jumped roughly 26'8 on a cinder track with awful spikes and also ran 10.3. What would a guy like him do with modern equipment, training and drugs?

yea last week i hard S&P slobbering over Lebron's scoring record and how he did it in 150 games (or something like that ) less than Kareem...it's like for starters, scoring in the NBA is basically double what it was when Kareem was in his prime...defensive rules were different, no 3 , etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

Bagels wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

There are all manner of arguments to be made in favor of various players. I don't care enough to make them. Some of them have been made here already. As I've said before, I think the idea of an indisputable GOAT is silly.

I generally agree its not really possible to measure the greatest. You could probably do eras, but that is about it. Rule changes, ways people diet and exercise, equipment and performance enhancing drugs vary from era to era.

Take Jesse Owens for example. He long jumped roughly 26'8 on a cinder track with awful spikes and also ran 10.3. What would a guy like him do with modern equipment, training and drugs?

yea last week i hard S&P slobbering over Lebron's scoring record and how he did it in 150 games (or something like that ) less than Kareem...it's like for starters, scoring in the NBA is basically double what it was when Kareem was in his prime...defensive rules were different, no 3 , etc.

LeBron also has more than two thousand more 3-point shots made than Kareem.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:48 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

One of the reasons is that I was always partial to guys that had rockets for arms. Marino and Elway had those and Montana did not. The other reason is that both got more done with less. Though Marino never won the big one he did get to a Super Bowl and some AFC championship games. And he got there with supporting casts that were nowhere near as good as Montana's. Elway had junk around him during those earlier Super Bowl runs and yet still managed to get his team there anyway. That is why I have always been partial to him and Marino over Montana.

Marino always impressed with his passing talent and Elway was special, even on crappy Stanford teams. I respected their games and how different, but only one quarterback ended the Dallas Cowboys run. Fwiw I only despise one pro franchise as much as the Cubbies and that’s Dallas.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:52 pm 

Nas wrote:
Bagels wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

LeBron also has more than two thousand more 3-point shots made than Kareem.

And three more losses in the Finals.

And Conns, Jesse Owens is exactly the example I think of during these exchanges.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:28 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Marino always impressed with his passing talent and Elway was special, even on crappy Stanford teams. I respected their games and how different, but only one quarterback ended the Dallas Cowboys run. Fwiw I only despise one pro franchise as much as the Cubbies and that’s Dallas.

Dallas was my 2nd favorite NFL team as a kid. I stopped liking them as much when Jerry Jones came in and dissed Tom Landry.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Lebron's bogus titles:

2012 lockout shortened season, only 66 regular season games, iirc

2013 Spurs go up 3-2 in the series, Ray Allen bails out LeFraud with Allen's icon 3 point jumper after Bosh rebounds LeBron's bricked 3 attempt

2016 -- Golden State up 3 games to 1 and then LeBron gets Draymond kicked out for Game 5 to spark Cleveland's comeback to take the series. Kyrie hitting the shot in Game 7, again someone else bailing out James

2020 -- rinky dink disney covid title, shouldn't even be mentioned. Completely bogus.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Other than Jordan and TB12, the only contender for GOAT is Alan Francis. More titles than Brady and Jordan combined. He's won the world championship in 5 decades.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Rob Wegley has bowled a 300 in seven decades. GOAT.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
The Missing Link wrote:
Dallas was my 2nd favorite NFL team as a kid. I stopped liking them as much when Jerry Jones came in and dissed Tom Landry.

I felt the same way...but I got over it pretty quick when they got good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

I've never had a favorite team outside of Chicago. I rooted for players like Brady and Kobe, but I still wanted them to lose when they played a Chicago team.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:16 am 

Nas wrote:
I've never had a favorite team outside of Chicago. I rooted for players like Brady and Kobe, but I still wanted them to lose when they played a Chicago team.

It's going to suck when Arlington Heights people get to feel the same way

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Nas wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:

This is an all time awful take.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

Darkside wrote:
Nas wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:

This is an all time awful take.

Why?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:08 pm 

Guy has his name on the cup 4 times and ALL the scoring records and you say he wasn't winning but stat compiling?
Total madness. I'm not even sure where to begin on this one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
It a weird place to be. If you're not compiling stats what are you doing? "Well you should be making people around you better so you win." The LA Kings stunk in 93-94, didn't even make the playoffs, and Gretzky led the league in scoring. If he led the league in goals, maybe that's selfishly compiling, but he had 25 more assists than anyone in the league. He selfishly...passed too much to guys who scored? Instead he should have...played better defense, done more intangible-y things? Maybe he should have retired earlier, but maybe Brady should have too. Gretzky's 2nd to last season he still selfishly compiled more assists than anybody else in the league.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

Darkside wrote:
Guy has his name on the cup 4 times and ALL the scoring records and you say he wasn't winning but stat compiling?
Total madness. I'm not even sure where to begin on this one.

Despite his greatness, he only won 4 times in 20 years, like LeBron. Gretzky not winning more allows Brady to enter the argument of greatest player in a team sport. I acknowledged his greatness and Ruth's greatness in this discussion. Jordan has no argument beyond being responsible for the explosion in athletes salaries.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:41 am 
100000 CLUB

You only acknowledged half of Ruth's greatness. Babe Ruth was on a HOF track as a pitcher. Then he hit 700 HRs. Also won 7 titles.

Its Ruth #1, and everyone else is fighting for second.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Sport not mentioned, but Muhammed Ali has to be included in the GOAT discussions.

For Hockey, my ex-FIL and my son constantly debate Orr v Gretzky. I think Gretzky's assist points in addition to goals kind of seal that one, but I certainly believe it's a valid debate.

For Jordan and basketball....bring up some of the others, but Lebron doesn't touch Jordan in terms GOATness. And yes...I hate Lebron for "The Decision". Come at me...fine...I don't care :lol:

TB12 may not have been the most gifted passer, but IMO he's the NFL GOAT QB. The rings and the data support it.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:21 pm 
100000 CLUB

BigW72 wrote:
Sport not mentioned, but Muhammed Ali has to be included in the GOAT discussions..
It was team sports.

Individual its Tiger Woods.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:25 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Sport not mentioned, but Muhammed Ali has to be included in the GOAT discussions..
It was team sports.

Individual its Tiger Woods.

You spelled Jack Nicklaus wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:35 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Sport not mentioned, but Muhammed Ali has to be included in the GOAT discussions.

For Hockey, my ex-FIL and my son constantly debate Orr v Gretzky. I think Gretzky's assist points in addition to goals kind of seal that one, but I certainly believe it's a valid debate.

For Jordan and basketball....bring up some of the others, but Lebron doesn't touch Jordan in terms GOATness. And yes...I hate Lebron for "The Decision". Come at me...fine...I don't care :lol:

TB12 may not have been the most gifted passer, but IMO he's the NFL GOAT QB. The rings and the data support it.

The guys you referenced were are wildly larger than life while the games were on. To me that factors in as much as any numbers. Funny thing is how no one mentions faces of the eighties Magic and Bird though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next