It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: GOAT Talk
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:58 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The entire concept of an indisputable GOAT originates with Jordan.
This is why I simply ask for you to make an argument about someone else, and please be sure to reference your thoughts on Scottie Pippen and how he wasn't great.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
And by the way, I have no issue with you having the opinion that he is the GOAT.
Why don't you have an issue with me thinking Jordan is easily the GOAT?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:02 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

:lol: Right on cue.

Why are guys like you and Brick so emotionally attached to an athlete?

I guess it's better than being emotionally attached to a politician.

Why don't you love Tom Brady?

:lol: That kind of fanboy absolutism (& nothing he actually did) is what had people rooting against Brady for the last two years.

Haters gone hate. Giving Brady his crown and flowers shouldn't upset anyone except Peyton Manning. He thought those were for him.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:04 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Just my luck for a GOAT debate to break out in a thread trying to criticize turning everything into a GOAT debate.

Greatest thread of all time!

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:07 am 

Nas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

:lol: Right on cue.

Why are guys like you and Brick so emotionally attached to an athlete?

I guess it's better than being emotionally attached to a politician.

Why don't you love Tom Brady?

:lol: That kind of fanboy absolutism (& nothing he actually did) is what had people rooting against Brady for the last two years.

Haters gone hate. Giving Brady his crown and flowers shouldn't upset anyone except Peyton Manning. He thought those were for him.

Eli seemed to agree :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The entire concept of an indisputable GOAT originates with Jordan.
This is why I simply ask for you to make an argument about someone else, and please be sure to reference your thoughts on Scottie Pippen and how he wasn't great.

There are all manner of arguments to be made in favor of various players. I don't care enough to make them. Some of them have been made here already. As I've said before, I think the idea of an indisputable GOAT is silly.

Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
And by the way, I have no issue with you having the opinion that he is the GOAT.
Why don't you have an issue with me thinking Jordan is easily the GOAT?

Because you're entitled to your opinion. And it's obviously fair to argue that Jordan is the GOAT, if such a thing as a GOAT actually exists. My problem is the sneering that occurs by so many at the mere suggestion that the GOAT may be someone other than Michael Jordan.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:26 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
There are all manner of arguments to be made in favor of various players. I don't care enough to make them. Some of them have been made here already. As I've said before, I think the idea of an indisputable GOAT is silly.
I can make an argument why Jordan is the indisputable GOAT. To change my mind, someone has to make an argument that someone else is better than him. Your argument seems to be "Jordan isn't the indisputable GOAT but I also won't make a counterargument".

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Because you're entitled to your opinion. And it's obviously fair to argue that Jordan is the GOAT, if such a thing as a GOAT actually exists. My problem is the sneering that occurs by so many at the mere suggestion that the GOAT may be someone other than Michael Jordan.
I'm still not understanding the issue though. It's fine to think that Jordan is the indisputable GOAT but it's not fine to think people are wrong who think otherwise?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I can make an argument why Jordan is the indisputable GOAT. To change my mind, someone has to make an argument that someone else is better than him. Your argument seems to be "Jordan isn't the indisputable GOAT but I also won't make a counterargument".

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm still not understanding the issue though. It's fine to think that Jordan is the indisputable GOAT but it's not fine to think people are wrong who think otherwise?

Jorr's point (and it is a valid one) is that talk regarding whether Jordan is or is not the greatest of all time should not be dismissed out of hand.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:34 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I generally agree its not really possible to measure the greatest. You could probably do eras, but that is about it. Rule changes, ways people diet and exercise, equipment and performance enhancing drugs vary from era to era.

Take Jesse Owens for example. He long jumped roughly 26'8 on a cinder track with awful spikes and also ran 10.3. What would a guy like him do with modern equipment, training and drugs?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:37 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
Jorr's point (and it is a valid one) is that talk regarding whether Jordan is or is not the greatest of all time should not be dismissed out of hand.
That's not his point. He has no problem with someone thinking Jordan is the indisputable GOAT and he also refuses to make an argument for any other player to have been better than Jordan. You even saw it in this thread where he held it against Jordan for not winning a title in a year he wasn't playing in the NBA.

The "Jordan is the GOAT" crowd simply puts up their argument as to why and let's someone else who chooses someone else do the same.

I think JORR's problem is that he believes that because you think Jordan is the indisputable GOAT that no other player in NBA history has ever been close to as good. It's like thinking that because you think that the fastest horse in a race was the best horse in that race that no other horse could have been close.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:40 am 
Site Admin

Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
That's not his point. He has no problem with someone thinking Jordan is the indisputable GOAT and he also refuses to make an argument for any other player to have been better than Jordan. You even saw it in this thread where he held it against Jordan for not winning a title in a year he wasn't playing in the NBA.

The "Jordan is the GOAT" crowd simply puts up their argument as to why and let's someone else who chooses someone else do the same.

I think JORR's problem is that he believes that because you think Jordan is the indisputable GOAT that no other player in NBA history has ever been close to as good. It's like thinking that because you think that the fastest horse in a race was the best horse in that race that no other horse could have been close.

:lol: It is exactly my point.

The fastest horse in a race is quite often not the best horse.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:40 am 

GOAT is just a superlative rather than an expression of truth...like rockstar.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:46 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:

Tom Brady is objectively the greatest NFL player ever and arguably the greatest player in the history of team sports.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:47 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

:lol: It is exactly my point.

The fastest horse in a race is quite often not the best horse.

That seems to be a bizarre way to look at it though.

Hypothetically, other players could have been better than Jordan. Kobe could have. LeBron was on pace for a while. Kevin Durant had a chance but injuries derailed him. I think you have to judge careers on what a player did rather than the idea you have there where the "fastest horse" isn't the "best horse".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Brick wrote:
I think you have to judge careers on what a player did rather than the idea you have there where the "fastest horse" isn't the "best horse".

You're not really doing that though. You're forming an opinion based largely upon emotion and childhood idol worship. Because if you were judging the way you claim, it would be very difficult to keep insisting Jordan was better than Wilt or Kareem or LeBron.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:57 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
I think you have to judge careers on what a player did rather than the idea you have there where the "fastest horse" isn't the "best horse".

You're not really doing that though. You're forming an opinion based largely upon emotion and childhood idol worship. Because if you were judging the way you claim, it would be very difficult to keep insisting Jordan was better than Wilt or Kareem or LeBron.
As I said, make your case for any of them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:58 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Tom Brady is objectively the greatest NFL player ever and arguably the greatest player in the history of team sports.

The more you young fanboys chirp, the stronger I want to argue in favor of Joe Montana. Who also btw never lost a title game or had to be a sidekick to the defense.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:59 am 

Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:

Maybe Russell, but that isn’t anywhere near a comparable era/game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:05 pm 

Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
That's not his point.

It is exactly his point.

Brick wrote:
I think JORR's problem is that he believes that because you think Jordan is the indisputable GOAT that no other player in NBA history has ever been close to as good.

I've never heard him say this though.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:06 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:

Maybe Russell, but that isn’t anywhere near a comparable era/game.

If someone was going to jump Jordan I think he has the best case. If the goal is to win titles then no one did it better.

But now JORR will probably say "Robert Horry is better than Jordan!". :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Nas wrote:

The 1st half of that statement may very well be true, but Wayne Gretzky's stats are so far beyond any other player that I'm not sure he has any competition on the latter comment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:07 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
Brick wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
That's not his point.

It is exactly his point.

Brick wrote:
I think JORR's problem is that he believes that because you think Jordan is the indisputable GOAT that no other player in NBA history has ever been close to as good.

I've never heard him say this though.

I'll let JORR set the record straight then that you are correctly using his point.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:08 pm 

Brick wrote:
I'll let JORR set the record straight then that you are correctly using his point.
He already has.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
All we need to know is that Michael Jordan is the GOAT.
Just log off now. End on a high note. You will not make a better point this month

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

The more you young fanboys chirp, the stronger I want to argue in favor of Joe Montana. Who also btw never lost a title game or had to be a sidekick to the defense.

Montana played before free agency. Players were slaves to an organization. Montana played for the greatest offensive mind in NFL history. He had the greatest WR in NFL history on his roster for 3 SB and had one of the greatest supporting casts in NFL history.

With the roster and free agency disadvantages, Brady still won as many titles AFTER 35 as Montana won in his entire career. Brady did it on multiple teams. Something Sketchers Joe failed to do in Kansas City.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:18 pm 
100000 CLUB

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:

The 1st half of that statement may very well be true, but Wayne Gretzky's stats are so far beyond any other player that I'm not sure he has any competition on the latter comment.

Four Cups in the slave era of hockey doesn't trump 7 in the free agency era of football. Brady also owns most passing records. I was open to the Gretzky and Ruth argument. That's why I Saif arguably for Brady

Last edited by Nas on Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

Brick wrote:
If the goal is to win titles then no one did it better.

It sounds like you're making that case, not me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:24 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
If the goal is to win titles then no one did it better.

It sounds like you're making that case, not me.

You aren't really making any case. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:49 pm 

Nas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Montana played before free agency. Players were slaves to an organization. Montana played for the greatest offensive mind in NFL history. He had the greatest WR in NFL history on his roster for 3 SB and had one of the greatest supporting casts in NFL history.

With the roster and free agency disadvantages, Brady still won as many titles AFTER 35 as Montana won in his entire career. Brady did it on multiple teams. Something Sketchers Joe failed to do in Kansas City.

This is slightly off topic but I tend to view the GOAT conversation colored more by great and truly memorable plays. No, Montana didn’t play during free agency, but he got hit often and hard unlike Brady. And with only the one special season with Moss, there were no special moments or plays from Brady. I think it separates Jordan, Montana, Tiger and Gretzky from great compilers like LeBron and Brady.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

This is slightly off topic but I tend to view the GOAT conversation colored more by great and truly memorable plays. No, Montana didn’t play during free agency, but he got hit often and hard unlike Brady. And with only the one special season with Moss, there were no special moments or plays from Brady. I think it separates Jordan, Montana, Tiger and Gretzky from great compilers like LeBron and Brady.

We saw Brady rise to the occasion in nearly every pressure situation. Just because no drive or play sticks out in your Montana loving mind doesn't change how great Brady was.

Brady has more yards, more touchdowns, more playoff wins, and just as many Super Bowls after the age of 35 than Montana had in his entire career.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:00 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I was never a huge Montana fan. This is when I actually watched a lot more football than I do now. I always had Elway and Marino over Montana back then.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next