It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cubs Radio Broadcast
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
One Post wrote:
I listen to a lot of games on the radio from essentially every team, Hughes and Coomer are hands down a top five broadcast team, and I'd argue they are the best. I'd listen to some arguments for Charlie Steiner and Rick Monday, or Jon Miller and crew out in San Francisco. Tom Hamilton in Cleveland is great also. I get that the reads and ads are laborious but that's not the fault of Hughes and Coomer. That would be like blaming Nico Hoerner because you don't like the video boards at Wrigley.

They are a great listen to regardless if the Cubs are winning or losing. No broadcast is ever going to be perfect but I think Hughes and Coomer come the closest. I don't get all of the ZZ hate here. He knows his role as the third wheel. I never get the feeling that he's trying to be more to the broadcast than his role.

The hate for ZZ is that he's been on the WSCR for years.
- His takes are awful.
- He's a company ass-licker / apologist.
- His Johnny Big-Radio Voice is among the worst.

His voice is an instant PTFB for me and many others.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
One Post wrote:
I listen to a lot of games on the radio from essentially every team, Hughes and Coomer are hands down a top five broadcast team, and I'd argue they are the best. I'd listen to some arguments for Charlie Steiner and Rick Monday, or Jon Miller and crew out in San Francisco. Tom Hamilton in Cleveland is great also. I get that the reads and ads are laborious but that's not the fault of Hughes and Coomer. That would be like blaming Nico Hoerner because you don't like the video boards at Wrigley.

They are a great listen to regardless if the Cubs are winning or losing. No broadcast is ever going to be perfect but I think Hughes and Coomer come the closest. I don't get all of the ZZ hate here. He knows his role as the third wheel. I never get the feeling that he's trying to be more to the broadcast than his role.

Hughes is amazing. The constant advertisements are what's the major problem here. And ZZ is awful. As the hyena in the background laughing at every dumb comment or worse as anyone behind the microphone at all.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: John's
I just get past that nasally voice from ZZ, blow your fucking nose!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
One Post wrote:

Before he passed away, Dave Wills and Andy Freed was one of the best radio broadcast teams. Howie Rose is a legend for the Mets, and when Josh Lewin was his partner those were fantastic broadcasts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Caller Bob wrote:
You're the one whining like a baby about everything....guess what most broadcasters today suck, not much you can do other than rising Vin Scully from the dead.

what exactly is the point of this board but to complain about something?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:14 am 

City of Fools wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
You're the one whining like a baby about everything....guess what most broadcasters today suck, not much you can do other than rising Vin Scully from the dead.

Aw that's just Caller Bob flavor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:28 am 

City of Fools wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Teach CRT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:41 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Pat Hughes sucks big time too.

He must have sucked dick to get inducted into the hall of fame.

Everyone on the ballot was so much more deserving than him.

This post brought to you by Bud Light! Enjoy with pride!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:45 am 

Darkside wrote:
One Post wrote:

Hughes is amazing. The constant advertisements are what's the major problem here. And ZZ is awful. As the hyena in the background laughing at every dumb comment or worse as anyone behind the microphone at all.

And My Pillow! Guaranteed THe Most Comfortable Pillow You'll Ever Own!

Back to you Bob!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:46 am 

Juiced wrote:
Darkside wrote:
One Post wrote:

Back to you Bob!

That's so 2018, now there is My Pillow 2.0!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:47 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Juiced wrote:
Darkside wrote:
One Post wrote:

Back to you Bob!

That's so 2018, now there is My Pillow 2.0!

Quote:
Guaranteed THe Most Comfortable Pillow You'll Ever Own!
So he lied?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:49 am 

No, Dominion did

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:37 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
One Post wrote:

Before he passed away, Dave Wills and Andy Freed was one of the best radio broadcast teams. Howie Rose is a legend for the Mets, and when Josh Lewin was his partner those were fantastic broadcasts.

Agreed on Howie Rose. I've posted here a few other times, I think Melanie Newman of the Orioles is one of the best young BPB radio voices out there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:38 am 
1000 CLUB

BigW72 wrote:
One Post wrote:

- His takes are awful.

I never agreed with the criticism of him as a Bears reporter. He was too often attacked for having an opinion - which is NOT his job - by this board and hosts on the station who wanted him to agree with their opinion and then get frustrated when he attempts to stick to his news only.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:15 am 

ZZ is horrible. His laughing is fake, his calls are mediocre. Compare him to the Cubs AAA or AA broadcasters and he's just trash.

By comparison, Randazzo put in the time broadcasting at Kane Country and working on his craft. And now he's the TV PBP for the Angels.

It's time to shove Zach aside when Audacy loses the Cubs broadcasts and find a great AAA announcer under 40 to take his place and eventually take over for Pat Hughes, where the Ss (as opposed to the SS) are silent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
his chuckle fests in the background of broadcasts is unbearable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
BD wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
One Post wrote:

- His takes are awful.

I never agreed with the criticism of him as a Bears reporter. He was too often attacked for having an opinion - which is NOT his job - by this board and hosts on the station who wanted him to agree with their opinion and then get frustrated when he attempts to stick to his news only.

He's solid on DePaul radio broadcasts as well. Although, in fairness, there's about seven of us who listen to those things.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Coomer and Marquee's ex players have a wealth of insight I'm sure. We'll never hear it with the restrictions they're under. Connor McKnight is much better than ZZ and Spiegel.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
say what you will about ZZ but his career strategy of ass kissing has done him well in his broadcasting career now being on the Cubs radio broadcast.

Remember how big that gig was back in the day on WGN.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:47 am 

I listened to one inning of Connor McKnight PBP of Orioles-White Sox in the car yesterday driving back from the airport, as I guess Kasper was doing TV.

No histrionics. No out of place laughter. No yelling.

So much better than ZZ. Not great, but easily clearing the low bar of the pre/post/backup PbP guy. Unlike ZZ.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
ZZ aside, Pat and Ron are great. The complaint is the non stop sponsorships within each inning.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:06 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I listened to one inning of Connor McKnight PBP of Orioles-White Sox in the car yesterday driving back from the airport, as I guess Kasper was doing TV.

No histrionics. No out of place laughter. No yelling.

So much better than ZZ. Not great, but easily clearing the low bar of the pre/post/backup PbP guy. Unlike ZZ.

I have to agree about McKnight. You don't notice him so much, which (at least in my world) is high praise for a play-by-play guy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Pat Hughes' "whud-da-ya think about" setup questions to Coomer and JD are usually pretty bad. I don't avoid the Cubs radio broadcasts though because of the announcers. It's strictly too many sponsor plugs and mandated rah-rah, these bums are solid players, isn't this Cubs culture amazing despite losing shtick. ZZ & Spiegel are great comedy how bad they are.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:28 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Zach Zaidman is pretty bad and so associated with being a Score B-team guy that his mere presence diminishes the broadcast.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Curious Hair wrote:
Zach Zaidman is pretty bad and so associated with being a Score B-team guy that his mere presence diminishes the broadcast.

I will agree with you when the day comes that the ZZ laughter is sponsored by Zanies. "Zanies, come laugh your ass off...(queue ZZ bellowing)."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: The Forum
vitoscotti wrote:
Coomer and Marquee's ex players have a wealth of insight I'm sure. We'll never hear it with the restrictions they're under. Connor McKnight is much better than ZZ and Spiegel.

More insight from players is a good idea. I'd listen to JD and Sutcliffe tell funny stories about Nolan Ryan and Tommy Lasorda in the broadcast. Glanville is a bright guy, he can be the 3rd voice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Sock Puppet wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

More insight from players is a good idea. I'd listen to JD and Sutcliffe tell funny stories about Nolan Ryan and Tommy Lasorda in the broadcast. Glanville is a bright guy, he can be the 3rd voice.

agree. you'll tune into that even if the score is 8-0 in the 3rd. like what the SF TV booth does so well. They keep you engaged regardless of the score.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:30 pm 

Every game I watch I'm reminded how much Boog sucks. He really really sucks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:32 pm 

I don't know how there can be much hate for Pat and Ron. One of the best radio duos out there. I know Zach only fills in during the 5th and when Pat has to miss, but his calls are so bad. You have no idea if a batted ball is a foul, a gapper, a can of corn, or a homer. As a listener you are left completely wondering until the last second what is happening. I'm not sure if Zach just doesn't have a sense for hits or he doesn't know how describe the action, but either way he's pretty bad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:24 pm 

At the end of Hit and Run today, Spiegel said Pat Hughes and Ron Santo would be on the call today. Which I thought was a pretty egregious example of burying the lede, but he corrected himself about 90 seconds later.