It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Southwest Airlines
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The free bags is key. For a business traveler its different, but when traveling with a family it can easily add $300-$400 to a trip for checked baggage on AA, United, etc.

Free checked bags also has the added advantage of reducing the number of passengers trying to avoid fees by carrying on over-stuffed bags.

True. Luckily, most of the AA flights I have been on recently have those overhead bins large enough to set your bag on its side. Lots more bin space that way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:36 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The free bags is key. For a business traveler its different, but when traveling with a family it can easily add $300-$400 to a trip for checked baggage on AA, United, etc.

It's easy to get a credit card that charges you under $100 for the year and includes a free checked bag for each person in your group on all flights you take.

Plus, Southwest charges you $30 a roundtrip for early bird checkin though if you travel with kids you get to jump the line somewhat anyways.

The Southwest credit card can help you get companion pass...that's a perk that's hard to beat.

You get a companion pass if you spend the equivalent of $135,000 on that card though some purchases earn double or triple points. Other airline cards offer better perks for that level of spending.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Caller Bob wrote:
It has nothing to do with setting a reminder. Over 1/2 the flight is teed' up 24 hours before check in, either in front of a computer or phone, even the slightest glitch and you are not in Group A. Some people would rather just fly American, get an assigned seat and avoid that hassle. How fucking stupid are you?

Thanks for explaining to me how the travel world works.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
It has nothing to do with setting a reminder. Over 1/2 the flight is teed' up 24 hours before check in, either in front of a computer or phone, even the slightest glitch and you are not in Group A. Some people would rather just fly American, get an assigned seat and avoid that hassle. How fucking stupid are you?

Thanks for explaining to me how the travel world works.

I'm glad I could help you. Maybe you can shut your fucking mouth now and stop following around like a stupid fucking ignorant puppy dog.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Sounds like Southwest sucks, you should use a different airline.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:59 pm 

Brick wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

It's easy to get a credit card that charges you under $100 for the year and includes a free checked bag for each person in your group on all flights you take.

Plus, Southwest charges you $30 a roundtrip for early bird checkin though if you travel with kids you get to jump the line somewhat anyways.

The Southwest credit card can help you get companion pass...that's a perk that's hard to beat.

You get a companion pass if you spend the equivalent of $135,000 on that card though some purchases earn double or triple points. Other airline cards offer better perks for that level of spending.

If you fly SWA regularly and use their credit card for everyday purchases it's not that hard. I get that it wouldn't apply to everyone, but if you don't travel that much then you'd probably be better off with a non-airline card anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:59 pm 

Just for clarification purposes, I never get the Early Bird seating and always get A or B, and always get an aisle. Alarms and reminders are great. Also, the app works fantastic too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:02 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Just for clarification purposes, I never get the Early Bird seating and always get A or B, and always get an aisle. Alarms and reminders are great. Also, the app works fantastic too.

Does the Airline suck or not? You are the one that DOTW'd them

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Hawg Ass wrote:

This. Caller Boob just has a hard time paying attention.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:04 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Does the Airline suck or not? You are the one that DOTW'd them

Not normally, although it hasn't been their best few months.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:08 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
If you fly SWA regularly and use their credit card for everyday purchases it's not that hard. I get that it wouldn't apply to everyone, but if you don't travel that much then you'd probably be better off with a non-airline card anyway.
With that amount of flying/credit card purchases you would probably be getting free first class upgrades on just about any other airline though. $135k a year is a lot even if you get double or triple points so it's not really spending 6 figures.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:16 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:24 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Has a hard time paying for early bird fees as well.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Brick wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Spending $135,000 to get a single companion pass?

That sucks if true.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:07 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

He's right, but for anyone who has taken their kid on a vacation, they have to be understanding in older age. by the looks of the wife, they are childless

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:13 pm 

I kinda on the guys side, fuck the crying baby

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:20 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:21 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:30 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Brick wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

That sucks if true.

You get them for all of your flights. You'd get a lot more from other airlines though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I'm happy I don't have to fly too much any more, after 30 years of business travel and then a year of commuting to Chicago nearly weekly when my father was ill. Many of those years I had 100-115 flights, and I think the least I ever had in a year before COVID was 35.

Some general thoughts:

If you live in Chicago and fly 4-5 times a year, get the United "Quest" Visa. It gets you 2 checked bags, and while the annual fee is $250 it gives you a $125 credit on a United flight and either 5000 or 10000 bonus miles (I can't remember).

If you travel alone and at least 10,000 miles a year in the lower 48, buy the United EconomyPlus annual subscription for $599. These days a flight from Chicago to California costs about $250 RT to upgrade to EconomyPlus. (This is what I have done, although I still have a high status level on Delta for one more year their prices have gone insane after they retired a bunch of pilots during COVID and figured out they can fly fewer planes and make more money.)

Otherwise, fly Southwest and try to stick to the 737-800 and 737-MAX planes with 175 seats. With 60 aisle seats, you can be up to B30 and get an aisle seat without much stress.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Brick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Brick wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

That sucks if true.

You get them for all of your flights. You'd get a lot more from other airlines though.

It was a much better deal when you could open a couple of Marriott credit cards, earn sign up bonuses, and then transfer the points to Southwest and have it count towards the CP. I never had a need for the CP but several of my friends would do that every other January.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:21 pm 

it's a little annoying that even with assigned seats, AA still has staggered group staging and the same thing happens. if you check in even like 30 seconds into your 24-hour threshold, you get like...group 6. out of 8.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

He's right, but for anyone who has taken their kid on a vacation, they have to be understanding in older age. by the looks of the wife, they are childless

he pulled an OBJ. refused to leave and was okay making everyone else deplane with him

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
good dolphin wrote:

What's he right about?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Caller Bob wrote:

You going to jail if you do

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

The guy upset about baby/adult behavioral double standards is definitely not right.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:01 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Brick wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

That sucks if true.

That's one way to do it but clearly not a likely way. Companion pass comes through a combination of # of flights and money spent (with bonus points awarded depending upon what is purchased and other promotions). For a frequent flier this reduces the amount of $ required to be spent significantly. Once achieved, your companion can fly with you for free on virtually every flight, which can really add up ($250-$500 each trip on avg.). If you don't fly a lot, then the advantages of any airline card are minimal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:49 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Brick wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

That sucks if true.

That's one way to do it but clearly not a likely way. Companion pass comes through a combination of # of flights and money spent (with bonus points awarded depending upon what is purchased and other promotions). For a frequent flier this reduces the amount of $ required to be spent significantly. Once achieved, your companion can fly with you for free on virtually every flight, which can really add up ($250-$500 each trip on avg.). If you don't fly a lot, then the advantages of any airline card are minimal.

Based on some quick google searches, it looks very hard to accomplish without credit card signup bonuses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:49 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
W_Z wrote:
it's a little annoying that even with assigned seats, AA still has staggered group staging and the same thing happens. if you check in even like 30 seconds into your 24-hour threshold, you get like...group 6. out of 8.

$99 AA credit card (first year free) to me is well worth it. One free checked bag for each person, group 5 boarding (always plenty of overhead space) and 25% discount on onboard food and DRINK. That plus TSA precheck and global entry make air travel almost tolerable.

Edit: However for whatever reason no free checked bag to Caribbean countries :roll: