It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ja Morant
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 6:10 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Morant is being punished because the loud mouthed jackasses like Steve Kerr spend their postgame press conferences crying about Americans exercising their 2nd Amendment rights so they have to do something to avoid being called hypocrites.

Perhaps the NBA should recognize Americans have a right to bear arms and then no one would have a problems with what Ja Morant is doing.

Conservatives are the ones defending him here.

People exercise their 1st Amendment right all the time and get fired, suspended, or disciplined by their employer.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 6:53 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Were the guns legally owned? Were they being transported legally (meaning they weren't in a location that requires a carry permit or in prohibited areas)? Then who fuckin cares if he's posting pics or vids online doing nothing illegal. It's not this man's job to set an example for the youts. When he's not on the court what he does with his time and his money is his goddamn business.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 7:18 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Were the guns legally owned? Were they being transported legally (meaning they weren't in a location that requires a carry permit or in prohibited areas)? Then who fuckin cares if he's posting pics or vids online doing nothing illegal. It's not this man's job to set an example for the youts. When he's not on the court what he does with his time and his money is his goddamn business.

I'd agree but for one simple thing. To paraphrase Dr. Harry Edward, it's not the owners about this play, except how they fear the backlash of the casual fans and scared TV networks. It's always about the cash.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Darkside wrote:

He is a member of the NBA an organization that changed the name of the Washington Tean from Bullets to Wizards....mull that over

I'm out.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:06 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Yeah, the billion dollar corporations he works for and their partners care.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
This is not at all related, but kind of reminds me of the Manti Te’o story.

When that broke it was a huge deal and I found myself explaining why it was important to a coworker who doesn’t watch sports. About halfway into my explanation, I realized how dumb I sounded.

Unless there was something illegal about his possession/transport of the guns, we have a story about a guy holding a gun in his friend’s car in a country where most have a fundamental right to own a gun. For this, people want to take 8 figures out of his pocket.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
This Ends in Antioch wrote:

When that broke it was a huge deal and I found myself explaining why it was important to a coworker who doesn’t watch sports. About halfway into my explanation, I realized how dumb I sounded.

Unless there was something illegal about his possession/transport of the guns, we have a story about a guy holding a gun in his friend’s car in a country where most have a fundamental right to own a gun. For this, people want to take 8 figures out of his pocket.

it’s more the knee-jerk reaction to it that it must be shut down. Does the NBA really think that fans of the NBA are not going to watch it anymore because their player was waving a gun around in a car? Dont even bother to find out, they just impose their fines and suspensions without any reason for it .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:20 am 

I think when you add in the almost certainly true story about his entourage with Morant in the car pointed guns at the Pacers team bus with them inside it becomes a little easier to explain why he may get suspended for this.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:30 am 

Brick wrote:

I think when you add in the almost certainly true story about his entourage with Morant in the car pointed guns at the Pacers team bus with them inside it becomes a little easier to explain why he may get suspended for this.

I don't think there is a may to it, he is going to be suspended.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: What??

There's a pattern of history here where the law could have been brought in but was probably smoothed over. It was smoothed over with a suspension and some assurances. If Ja did nothing wrong, he can retain the services of Dolphin, Dolphin, and Good Dolphin.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:59 am 

Brick wrote:

Unless he made some promises to never hold a gun when the NBA pretended the Pacers thing didn’t happen, I don’t see why this is at all related.

One was obviously menacing. Silver pretended it was unknowable. This is just standard, everyday, totally hetero dancing in the car with your guy friends for Insta while rubbing your gun.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:01 am 

badrogue17 wrote:

it’s more the knee-jerk reaction to it that it must be shut down. Does the NBA really think that fans of the NBA are not going to watch it anymore because their player was waving a gun around in a car? Dont even bother to find out, they just impose their fines and suspensions without any reason for it .

This reminds me more of the time Stern solved the problem of players beating up fans by imposing a dress code.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:07 am 

Unless he made some promises to never hold a gun when the NBA pretended the Pacers thing didn’t happen, I don’t see why this is at all related.
The Pacers incident happened 3 months ago. You don't see how it is at all related that he is flashing guns in a car when 3 months ago he narrowly avoided serious consequences for him or someone in a car that he was in almost certainly pointed guns at an opposing teams bus?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:14 am 

Brick wrote:
The Pacers incident happened 3 months ago. You don't see how it is at all related that he is flashing guns in a car when 3 months ago he narrowly avoided serious consequences for him or someone in a car that he was in almost certainly pointed guns at an opposing teams bus?

I don’t think the Pacers story was about Morant having guns. It was his people (that routinely start fights during games) threatening an opposing team. And likely pointing guns at them, though I don’t know that I buy they’re using laser sights.

This reminds me more of the strip club story. He probably should’ve been prosecuted for that one which would’ve justified his suspension. This most recent event was just a really gay gun ad.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:18 am 

I don’t think the Pacers story was about Morant having guns. It was his people (that routinely start fights during games) threatening an opposing team. And likely pointing guns at them, though I don’t know that I buy they’re using laser sights.
Morant was in the car when it happened and they don't know who was actually pointing the gun or guns.

That's why it's probably not a good idea to be creating these videos 3 months later.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:21 am 

Brick wrote:
Morant was in the car when it happened and they don't know who was actually pointing the gun or guns.

That's why it's probably not a good idea to be creating these videos 3 months later.

Unless he’s supposed to no longer have guns, I don’t know why a video that proves he has guns is a big problem.

It seems like the suspension would be for embarrassing Adam Silver more than the actual conduct.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:24 am 

Brick wrote:

This reminds me more of the strip club story. He probably should’ve been prosecuted for that one which would’ve justified his suspension. This most recent event was just a really gay gun ad.

I do see your POV. I guess Ja might have some cards to play to minimize a suspension. Depends if he gave some assurances to Doctor Evil.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:25 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Barkley brought up something I didn't think of when I made my previous post. The morality clause of his contract. I don't know what it says specifically but I suppose that make him more than just an off the clock gun hobbyist.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:28 am 

Brick wrote:

Unless he’s supposed to no longer have guns, I don’t know why a video that proves he has guns is a big problem.

It seems like the suspension would be for embarrassing Adam Silver more than the actual conduct.
It's because he narrowly avoided what likely would have been a suspension of a year or more for gun related activity in a car against another team and 3 months later he openly shared gun related activity in a car.

That's what makes it far different than if anyone else in the NBA had done the same type of video.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
one thing folks sometimes overlook when it comes to Constitutional rights, esp those enumerated in the Bill of Rights (free speech, own guns, not have to allow soldiers to sleep on your couch on demand etc) is that those rights, for the most part, are restrictions on public/government power. so absent redefining the NBA as a public entity (which you maybe could argue for like MLB due to the monopoly grant thing but not really...) employers can tell you what to say and discipline you for exercising your Constitutionally protected rights if they feel like it; which could have happened in the Daryl Morey-Hong Kong situation and appears to be going to happen here.

But, yeah, the wrinkle of Ja being in a union and having everything spelled out should make this a simple matter of referencing the relevant language in either the CBA or Ja's individual contract disallowing whatever behavior the NBA dislikes their employees to engage in

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:04 am 
100000 CLUB

I'm not sure what imaginary women have to do with this. Waving a gun on Instagram isn't illegal. Throwing up gang signs on Instagram isn't illegal. Waving a gun while throwing up a gang sign on Instagram isn't illegal. The NBA, Nike, and others have the right to not want those things associated with their brand.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:08 am 

Nas wrote:

I'm not sure what imaginary women have to do with this. Waving a gun on Instagram isn't illegal. Throwing up gang signs on Instagram isn't illegal. Waving a gun while throwing up a gang sign on Instagram isn't illegal. The NBA, Nike, and others have the right to not want those things associated with their brand.

They probably do, but should they? Yeah, again probably, but it's a gray area, don't you think? These moral clauses seem to get more and more undefined.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:

They pick funny places to draw their moral lines on what they want to have associated with their brand dont they?
U.S. senator slams Apple, Amazon, Nike, for enabling forced labor in China

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:25 am 

Lesbian in full Nike gear refuses to eat a chicken sandwich

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Caller Bob wrote:
...denis, maybe you should put your kid on a diet

https://youtu.be/yWhJnbw-Roo

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:36 am 
100000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
Nas wrote:

They pick funny places to draw their moral lines on what they want to have associated with their brand dont they?
U.S. senator slams Apple, Amazon, Nike, for enabling forced labor in China

Their outrage is likely guided by $$$.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:59 am 

Nas wrote:

Lennay Kukua. Say her name.

But obviously it has nothing to do with Morant. It’s just that when the story is that a guy was holding a gun while dancing on instagram and therefore should lose almost $20m, something does not compute.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

I still don't grok exactly what went down in the Manti Te'o thing--wasn't it all a cover for him being gay? Or was that a different linebacker.

I thought it crazy that dude called some chick he'd never boned or even met in person his "girlfriend". But 10 years on that shit's everywhere.

I recall when I was doing the podcasting thing pre-Trump there was this guy hosting another podcast who went by "Dislex" whose podcast was "2 Guys 1 Mic" (iirc). Dislex and a co-host would get drunk, play drinking games etc on their podcast for hours. One time Dislex mentions his one true love being some chick from Alabama he had only talked to online (mostly) and on the phone--they had never met in person. We all thought his was some canadian gf bs.

Fast forward a year or two and Dislex's car gets t-bone'd by a F150 being driven by a drunk mexican--Dislex dude ended up laid up for weeks or months in hospital, required year of rehab, had to walk around with a piss bag for a minute too, constant pain etc etc. Silver lining: the F150 was an oil rigging company truck, this was west Texas/Odessa. Long story not so short: Dislex got p-a-i-d.

Not long after the girl from Alabama who had refused to meet Dislex in person for years suddenly is living with Dislex dude; every time I'd call to check in on him they (Dislex and Alabama girl (Kristin or maybe Kirstin? Dustin was Dislex's actual name)) were either shopping or getting back from shopping or about to go shopping...lost track of him after that, but I assume she cleaned him out and then returned home to Alabama. I just hope she let Dislex keep his house at least.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

Strippers have thoughts

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/str ... 40009.html

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:00 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
but he apologized! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next