It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Terrestrial Radio
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:47 pm 

My God, who listens to this garbage? Just spent about 90 minutes in a car and maybe heard two good songs in a row once. Between the nearly 10 minute commercial breaks and terrible Playlists, it's a miracle any of these stations still exist today. Who the hell is buying airtime on any radio station? If a radio ad costs more than $20, these saps are severely overpaying. Why does radio even exist anymore? Can the automakers please remove both AM and FM radio from future vehicles? Anyone who disagrees, feel free to kill yourself.

Last edited by Douchebag on Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Terrestrial Radio
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Satellite radio isn't all that great either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Tall Midget wrote:

There are more options.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:07 pm 

Cashman wrote:
There are more options.

Yes, death.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

Cashman wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

There are more options.

Most of which are awful/offal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Douchebag wrote:
My God, who listens to this garbage? Just spent about 90 minutes in a car and maybe heard two good songs in a row once. Between the nearly 10 minute commercial breaks and terrible Playlists, it's a miracle any of these stations still exist today. Who the hell is buying airtime on any radio station? If a radio ad costs more than $20, these saps are severely overpaying. Why does radio even exist anymore? Can the automakers please remove both AM and FM radio from future vehicles? Anyone who disagrees, feel free to kill yourself.

The music they can play is restricted by the record companies. In fairness to them, I get tired of my own playlists. I'm looking forward to training camp, so I can care about sports radio again.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

The music they can play is restricted by the record companies. In fairness to them, I get tired of my own playlists. I'm looking forward to training camp, so I can care about sports radio again.

That makes two of us, my friend. Sadly, I won't be able to make it to Chicago for any training camp practices this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Tall Midget wrote:

Okay, but it's still superior. No commercials and you're able to discover all sorts of new music that your city's FM stations would never play.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

That makes two of us, my friend. Sadly, I won't be able to make it to Chicago for any training camp practices this year.

The Bears have been fucking fans for everything except Friends and Family Night. If you make you make it in after then, we should still get together.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:11 pm 

pizza_Place: What About Burgers
Douchebag wrote:
My God, who listens to this garbage?

Pretty much you, dumbass. And Randy Moss.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:20 pm 

What About Randy Moss wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
My God, who listens to this garbage?

Pretty much you, dumbass. And Randy Moss.

You knocked your last post out like that woman 21 years ago. You should have stopped there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ron Wolfley wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Okay, but it's still superior. No commercials and you're able to discover all sorts of new music that your city's FM stations would never play.

I have yet to hear a s Sirius channel as good as XPN in Philly, XRT in its heyday, the River in Western Massachusetts (as of a few years ago, at least; it seems to have capitulated to some kind of identity politics-informed aesthetic recently) KEXP in Seattle, KXRY in Portland, WNRN in Charlottesville, the old 89X in the Detroit/Windsor area, and several others. (And this isn't even taking into account all of the low-wattage but phenomenal college/community stations that have historically existed across the country.)Terrestrial radio was and still can be vastly superior to the soulless asocial aesthetic of satellite radio. Terrestrial radio didn't die off naturally, it was gradually murdered over the course of three decades following Bill Clinton's advocacy of the Telecommunications Act of 1994, which deregulated local media markets in order to created corporate monopolies as part of the neoliberal strategy to kill off the public sphere and something once known as "society".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:40 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I have yet to hear a s Sirius channel as good as XPN in Philly, XRT in its heyday, the River in Western Massachusetts (as of a few years ago, at least; it seems to have capitulated to some kind of identity politics-informed aesthetic recently) KEXP in Seattle, KXRY in Portland, WNRN in Charlottesville, the old 89X in the Detroit/Windsor area, and several others. (And this isn't even taking into account all of the low-wattage but phenomenal college/community stations that have historically existed across the country.)Terrestrial radio was and still can be vastly superior to the soulless asocial aesthetic of satellite radio. Terrestrial radio didn't die off naturally, it was gradually murdered over the course of three decades following Bill Clinton's advocacy of the Telecommunications Act of 1994, which deregulated local media markets in order to created corporate monopolies as part of the neoliberal strategy to kill off the public sphere and something once known as "society".

Alrighty, have a good night!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:48 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I think the best programmed station I've heard is WFUV out of New York. It's a college station that plays pretty much everything from the 50s to present, spanning many genres. I did a bunch of work there for a client over the course of 5 years, so I was constantly in Upstate NY. I traveled back there for the first time in nearly five years in February, and it was the first station I flipped to in my rental car. They can be spared in my radio holocaust. Everyone else can fuck off.

This thread needs Curious Hair

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:46 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
https://radioparadise.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I got rid of SiriusXM for Apple Music “radio” plus anything else I want. The satellite had no commercials but for some reason they felt the fake name women disc jockeys boring drawn out stories were okay.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:35 am 

Yeah there may not be ads but SiriusXM has a ton of bad DJ breaks that just kill any momentum. That or guest DJs that have no business driving a station.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:11 am 

It's amazing satellite radio is subscription still.

But that said, our tax money is feeding the starlink system and we don't get that for free either.

Gps is free, go figure.

The music industry is a ripoff. At least technology is allowing independent artists to make good music that nobody has to pay for.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
IkeSouth wrote:

Gps is free, go figure.

so was the covid vaccine Image

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:31 am 

That was my point that's why I said GO FIGURE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Tall Midget wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

There are more options.

Most of which are awful/offal.

Yep. When I had it I found myself flipping around and listening to nothing or listening to music that didn't really interest me. It is possible to have too many choices.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:35 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I got rid of SiriusXM for Apple Music “radio” plus anything else I want. The satellite had no commercials but for some reason they felt the fake name women disc jockeys boring drawn out stories were okay.

I just looked up Apple Music Radio. It seems pretty cool! I like a lot of different music and was born in '91 -- so it's easy for me to turn on the 60s, 70s, or 80s channel and hear a song I've never heard. I just heard "Different Drum" by the Stone Poneys a few days ago and instantly bought and added it to my iTunes library. Same thing with "Oogum Boogum" by Brenton Wood. I would never have had that experience listening to FM Radio. I enjoy jazz, techno/dubstep, and indie music too. I know XMU channel 35 is playing stuff XRT should. I'm a fan of Jim & Sam and The Bonfire on Faction Talk 103 and occasionally I'll switch between The Patriot + Potus (I'm a Dan Abrams fan). NBA Radio has been awesome the last week for live reaction to free agency and trades as well. To me, it's all worth $5 a month.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Ron Wolfley wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I just looked up Apple Music Radio. It seems pretty cool! I like a lot of different music and was born in '91 -- so it's easy for me to turn on the 60s, 70s, or 80s channel and hear a song I've never heard. I just heard "Different Drum" by the Stone Poneys a few days ago and instantly bought and added it to my iTunes library. Same thing with "Oogum Boogum" by Brenton Wood. I would never have had that experience listening to FM Radio. I enjoy jazz, techno/dubstep, and indie music too. I know XMU channel 35 is playing stuff XRT should. I'm a fan of Jim & Sam and The Bonfire on Faction Talk 103 and occasionally I'll switch between The Patriot + Potus (I'm a Dan Abrams fan). NBA Radio has been awesome the last week for live reaction to free agency and trades as well. To me, it's all worth $5 a month.

"Different Drum" is one of the catchiest songs of all time. I'm a fan of the Lemonheads and Matthew Sweet/Susana Hoffs versions as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Ron Wolfley wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

With it I ask Siri for any song I can imagine in the world and they give it to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:22 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Douchebag wrote:
I think the best programmed station I've heard is WFUV out of New York. It's a college station that plays pretty much everything from the 50s to present, spanning many genres. I did a bunch of work there for a client over the course of 5 years, so I was constantly in Upstate NY. I traveled back there for the first time in nearly five years in February, and it was the first station I flipped to in my rental car. They can be spared in my radio holocaust. Everyone else can fuck off.

What are your thoughts on WFMU out of Jersey City (or whatever the CoL is)? I recognize their importance in radio history, but you know how those all-volunteer stations get where they applaud themselves for playing psychedelic Jewish folk music recorded by Koreans or some such genre word salad. Freeform radio needs a little tyranny from above.

Also, Best Show was something I feel like I totally missed the boat on and now it's too late. Dave In Champaign and ZephMarshack were both WFMU/Best Show guys, as I recall.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
The only terrestrial radio I listen to anymore is in the garage. on saturdays its WLS and random financial advisors trying to sell annuities and cash value life insurance to old people, i flip through the AM and will pause on Dave Ramsey and Bill Handle on the law.

Sports talk is just not listenable to me anymore. local or national.

We have siriusXM but i play it on the garage tv as opposed to flipping on the milwaukee jobsite radio so its a bit more time consuming to start it up.

In the cars its podcasts or siriusXM. the phone app has way better stations than the standard vehicle ones so android auto has to kick in and we are good.

Best terrestrial radio station ever was WNRN out of VA.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
hnd wrote:
The only terrestrial radio I listen to anymore is in the garage. on saturdays its WLS and random financial advisors trying to sell annuities and cash value life insurance to old people, i flip through the AM and will pause on Dave Ramsey and Bill Handle on the law.

We have siriusXM but i play it on the garage tv as opposed to flipping on the milwaukee jobsite radio so its a bit more time consuming to start it up.

In the cars its podcasts or siriusXM. the phone app has way better stations than the standard vehicle ones so android auto has to kick in and we are good.

You can't handle sports talk but actually listen to Dave Ramsey? :puker:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
hnd wrote:

You can't handle sports talk but actually listen to Dave Ramsey? :puker:

not so much anymore. its basically dominated now by ramsey dingleberries who have 0 financial knowledge. but if I hear his voice I'll stop. its likley more nostalgic than anything and I enjoy rubbernecking car wrecks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:27 am 

hnd wrote:

saturday morning is probably the best sports talk of the week on the score