It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dog Breeders
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Maybe not as an entire class, but these two specifically.

We finally came around to getting another dog about a year ago and began the search, and I handed the reigns to my significant other who knows about these kinds of things. We settled on the idea of show-quality dog from a show-quality breeder and put down a hefty deposit for a specific make/model. Well the first litter was spoken for as I recall, and they promised us if a puppy came out to our specs we would be in the running for the next litter, provided the breeder (owner of the parents) and co-breeder (who cared for the litter) didn't take their pick at the 8 week mark.

Finally, a litter came with a puppy that fit what we wanted, and we went to go meet it a few days before the 8 week evaluation, not knowing whether he would be ours. An agent belonging to the breeder was dispatched to conduct the evaluation, and luckily enough our boy wasn't picked by either breeder or co-breeder, so he was ours and we scheduled a pickup date of this coming weekend.

...or so we thought. Last night, we received a call that the actual breeder had met the litter and changed the evaluation, and our pup was her #1 draft choice, so we could either take one of the other puppies we didn't want or could go pound sand. Keep in mind that since we met the dogs and made the confirmation that we were getting the one we wanted, not only had we made significant expenditures to get our house back to dog-ready and then some, but we'd both fallen in love with the dog of choice, and had picked out a name and been referring to him as such in giddy anticipation.

The rub is, my SO had designs on being friends with this show breeder after the sale, so all of my protestations and suggestions at getting a lawyer involved whenever I felt they were giving us the run-around were rebuffed, and now she's hesitant to invoke lawyering to resolve this dispute, whereas I want to go nuclear. I tried explaining to her that this kind of shit happens because people passively learn they can get away with it when others are too shy to even broach the subject of speaking to a lawyer about disputes, but to no avail as of yet.

So fuck me, I guess, but mainly fuck them too.

Post subject: Re: Dog Breeders
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Douchebag yourself. Adopt from a rescue next time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:01 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Douchebag yourself. Adopt from a rescue next time.

You're free to start your own DBOTW thread bashing me for it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:06 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Adopt, don't shop.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:09 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Handing the reigns to a biological woman was the biggest mistake. I don't have to read anymore to know the problem.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:14 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Adopt, don't shop.

This wasn't a puppy mill operation. This was a deliberate purchase from a show-quality breeder for a few specific purposes that couldn't be satisfied via adoption.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
We got a dog from a breeder about 8 years ago and I have regretted it every day since. Having a dog is a pain in the ass (our dog leads a great life, but we are just not dog people we have learned). aside from that if I knew then what I know now we would have just gone to the shelter and adopted one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
The rub is, my SO had designs on being friends with this show breeder after the sale, so all of my protestations and suggestions at getting a lawyer involved whenever I felt they were giving us the run-around were rebuffed, and now she's hesitant to invoke lawyering to resolve this dispute, whereas I want to go nuclear. I tried explaining to her that this kind of shit happens because people passively learn they can get away with it when others are too shy to even broach the subject of speaking to a lawyer about disputes, but to no avail as of yet.

Ask ChatGPT to make this rhyme, put a little diddy behind it and this could be your new American national anthem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:32 am 

Tell your husband to pick another dog.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
This was a deliberate purchase from a show-quality breeder for a few specific purposes that couldn't be satisfied via adoption.

purposes such as ? you want it to appear on the Puppy Bowl or something ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:36 am 

We finally came around to getting another dog about a year ago and began the search, and I handed the reigns to my significant other who knows about these kinds of things. We settled on the idea of show-quality dog from a show-quality breeder and put down a hefty deposit for a specific make/model. Well the first litter was spoken for as I recall, and they promised us if a puppy came out to our specs we would be in the running for the next litter, provided the breeder (owner of the parents) and co-breeder (who cared for the litter) didn't take their pick at the 8 week mark.

Finally, a litter came with a puppy that fit what we wanted, and we went to go meet it a few days before the 8 week evaluation, not knowing whether he would be ours. An agent belonging to the breeder was dispatched to conduct the evaluation, and luckily enough our boy wasn't picked by either breeder or co-breeder, so he was ours and we scheduled a pickup date of this coming weekend.

...or so we thought. Last night, we received a call that the actual breeder had met the litter and changed the evaluation, and our pup was her #1 draft choice, so we could either take one of the other puppies we didn't want or could go pound sand. Keep in mind that since we met the dogs and made the confirmation that we were getting the one we wanted, not only had we made significant expenditures to get our house back to dog-ready and then some, but we'd both fallen in love with the dog of choice, and had picked out a name and been referring to him as such in giddy anticipation.

Nothing good ever comes from being argumentative in real life.

Move on. It stinks. You'll never win and be happy with this unless you get the dog and you aren't getting the dog.

I'm sorry that happened to you though. You may have to settle for a dog that only looks like a solid B+.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:38 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I can only imagine how painful your girlfriend's attempt to squelch your litigious instincts must have been for you. I extend you my deepest sympathies during this difficult time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:52 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
I can only imagine how painful your girlfriend's attempt to squelch your litigious instincts must have been for you. I extend you my deepest sympathies during this difficult time.

Honey I thought you already knew you couldn’t “strenuously object.”

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:59 am 

Bagels wrote:
This was a deliberate purchase from a show-quality breeder for a few specific purposes that couldn't be satisfied via adoption.

purposes such as ? you want it to appear on the Puppy Bowl or something ?

Yeah at wideout. We got shuttle cones and stop watches and everything. Even picked out a route tree.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Douchebag wrote:
Tell your husband to pick another dog.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
This is what happens when you don't

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein

White people problems.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:04 pm 

With a side of Deni$ humblebrag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
KDdidit wrote:

I mean, that goes hand in hand with White People Problems...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:15 pm 

KDdidit wrote:

Where at? I can assure you no amount of bragging was intended. If you mean "show-quality" that was just meant to distinguish between a puppy mill and reputable, responsible breeding.

EDIT: Forgot about "hefty", and I can assure you that's no brag. Deni$ probably has that amount in the cupholder on his snowmobile. It was just a big commitment for us.

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:17 pm 

I'll say this as someone who has rescued all of the dogs my family has ever had as pets. While I appreciate and support rescuing a dog, having a dog as a pet is so fulfilling in many ways, and helps teach humans many valuable lessons that having a dog in your life in any way is just incredibly rewarding. They are the best and often times bring out the best in us.

The story you told is terrible, it's just an awful way to treat someone that was invested in the process financially and emotionally. I will say that I suspect the dog you eventually get is going to be absolutely perfect, if only because they are all. Enjoy the puppy, whichever and whenever you get him/her.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:17 pm 

KDdidit wrote:

Where at? I can assure you no amount of bragging was intended. If you mean "show-quality" that was just meant to distinguish between a puppy mill and reputable, responsible breeding.

The "hefty deposit" for a dog part probably.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:21 pm 

One Post wrote:

I'll say this as someone who has rescued all of the dogs my family has ever had as pets. While I appreciate and support rescuing a dog, having a dog as a pet is so fulfilling in many ways, and helps teach humans many valuable lessons that having a dog in your life in any way is just incredibly rewarding. They are the best and often times bring out the best in us.

The story you told is terrible, it's just an awful way to treat someone that was invested in the process financially and emotionally. I will say that I suspect the dog you eventually get is going to be absolutely perfect, if only because they are all. Enjoy the puppy, whichever and whenever you get him/her.

Thanks OP, it took awhile to get to the point of feeling like we were emotionally able after we lost our last pup so quickly. This is just gut-wrenching.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:22 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

The "hefty deposit" for a dog part probably.

Yeah forgot I said that. I meant it more like it was just a bigger commitment of money for us, someone like Deni$ probably has that amount in his couch cushions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:11 pm 

All dogs should go to heaven immediately

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:42 am 

Nas wrote:
Handing the reigns to a biological woman was the biggest mistake. I don't have to read anymore to know the problem.

breeding women are not the best judges of character

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I've used the same breeder for my last 3 dogs (2 from the same litter 3 years ago) and have nothing but praise for the breeder and the whole experience. Only downside is that she lives in Eastern Ohio so it's a bit of a haul to pick up the puppies, but well worth it

Unfortunately I think she's retiring soon.

People standing on a pulpit preaching about how everyone should get a shelter dog are usually just masking the fact that they're too cheap to get a pure bred dog and would rather get a discount dog. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend like those people have some altruistic motive. They just don't want to spend $1000s to get a better looking dog.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
shakes wrote:
They just don't want to spend $1000s to get a better looking dog.

gay