It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bulls Fans
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Ricobene's
Tall Midget wrote:
The Doctor Of Style wrote:
When you look at the players on that 98 Bulls team, none of them ever really did much in the NBA after 98. Jordan for obvious reasons, but even guys like Rodman and Pippen too. Rodman only played 35 more games in the NBA and Pippen never made another All Star team. Jordan had to literally drag that 98 squad past the finish line in order to win. They were cooked.

Weren't most of the players on the 1999 Knicks and Spurs either past their prime or entirely without a prime? The main exception, of course, is Duncan, but he wasn't yet at his peak, though he was very, very good as a rookie.

The Knicks team wasn't that old at the time. At least not in comparison to the Bulls. That 98vBulls team was cooked minus Jordan. He was back to scoring nearly half the points just for them to have a chance. Rodman never really played again in the NBA and Pippen was nothing more than a role player for the rest of his career. Plus the Great Phil had already said he was up before the season began. The ONLY coach that Jordan stated he would ever play for.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:14 pm 

RFDC wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
LTG's position on Krause is terribly incoherent. Krause was responsible for acquiring all players and coaches on the dynasty teams except Jordan. That's trades, picks, FA signings, etc, spanning over a decade. He procured 66% of the initial big three in one draft. He legendarily traded up for Pippen in that same draft - he nailed that scouting report. He boldly traded Oakley for Cartwright, a win win for both teams. He seamlessly refreshed the big three following the Jordan White Sox interregnum and added a fourth wheel - kukoc - whose presence ensured the second three peat didn't end at 4 or at most 5. He added Bison Dele/Brian Williams who provided much needed athleticism and scoring for a year. He was the most talented big man on the team and Krause got him for free basically. He deftly stocked the roster with enough bigs to hack Shaq, knowing that Orlando would be the main obstacle. He replaced paxson with kerr and upgraded Armstrong by acquiring Harper. There's no sane person on earth who would dismiss what he built.

Jordan and a watered down NBA were the primary reason for the 6 championships. Not Krause. And "genius"architects don't get that stupid all of a sudden. Krause demonstrated what he "knew" about building championship teams once Jordan left. Which was very little actually in retrospect.

Watered down NBA? Stop with that nonsense. There were some really good players and teams in the 90s.

None of those teams compared to the top 4-5 teams of 80's. The NBA was watered down during the Bulls run. Stockton/Malone went from getting bounced first round in the 80's to being contenders in the mid to late 90's. Even with a weaker roster on deck. Pretty much sums it up right there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:15 pm 

RFDC wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
LTG's position on Krause is terribly incoherent. Krause was responsible for acquiring all players and coaches on the dynasty teams except Jordan. That's trades, picks, FA signings, etc, spanning over a decade. He procured 66% of the initial big three in one draft. He legendarily traded up for Pippen in that same draft - he nailed that scouting report. He boldly traded Oakley for Cartwright, a win win for both teams. He seamlessly refreshed the big three following the Jordan White Sox interregnum and added a fourth wheel - kukoc - whose presence ensured the second three peat didn't end at 4 or at most 5. He added Bison Dele/Brian Williams who provided much needed athleticism and scoring for a year. He was the most talented big man on the team and Krause got him for free basically. He deftly stocked the roster with enough bigs to hack Shaq, knowing that Orlando would be the main obstacle. He replaced paxson with kerr and upgraded Armstrong by acquiring Harper. There's no sane person on earth who would dismiss what he built.

Jordan and a watered down NBA were the primary reason for the 6 championships. Not Krause. And "genius"architects don't get that stupid all of a sudden. Krause demonstrated what he "knew" about building championship teams once Jordan left. Which was very little actually in retrospect.

Watered down NBA? Stop with that nonsense. There were some really good players and teams in the 90s.

None of those teams compared to the top 4-5 teams of 80's. The NBA was watered down during the Bulls run. Stockton/Malone went from getting bounced first round in the 80's to being contenders in the mid to late 90's. Even with a weaker roster on deck. Pretty much sums it up right there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:18 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The 1990s NBA: No, Bad, Actually. You heard it here first, seriously, because no one has ever said that before.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Curious Hair wrote:
The 1990s NBA: No, Bad, Actually. You heard it here first, seriously, because no one has ever said that before.

We need to consult tv ratings

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:14 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Bagels wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

We need to consult tv ratings

ABC executives are not gonna like this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:18 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's

Okay so your counter argument is to just assert stuff with no reasoning or evidence. Got it. Makes sense that you're a fields guy too. Hope you're still enjoying tracking the storied career of Patrick Williams.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:48 am 

veganfan21 wrote:

Okay so your counter argument is to just assert stuff with no reasoning or evidence. Got it. Makes sense that you're a fields guy too. Hope you're still enjoying tracking the storied career of Patrick Williams.

You're the same dude who argues that every title ever won by LeBron James was due solely to the Greatness of LeBron James, yet somehow the very same courtesy has never been afforded to Michael Jordan. Even though Jordan was the better player and never had to kiss other player's ass to win rings. Once again can you say 'logically inconsistent'

And as far as Krause goes, you don't salute someone for having the 'misfortune' of "lucking" into the greatest player to ever live and "ingeniously' surrounding him with role players. You astutely state that he was lucky enough ro have the greatest player ever and all he had to do was surround him with role players.

And as far as the football stuff goes, keep allowing the likes of FF and Hawg to run laps around you with what they know about the game why don't you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:45 am 

When did I say Jordan doesn't deserve credit? That's a dumb thing to allege. Jordan was the best player on those teams.

Are you saying Jordan scouted Scottie Pippen in college and then traded up to draft him?

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:16 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
When did I say Jordan doesn't deserve credit? That's a dumb thing to allege. Jordan was the best player on those teams.

Are you saying Jordan scouted Scottie Pippen in college and then traded up to draft him?

No what I am telling you is that Jerry Krause didn't scout Scottie Pippen in college either. And Jordan was the best player in NBA history. Not just "those teams"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:26 am 

veganfan21 wrote:

No what I am telling you is that Jerry Krause didn't scout Scottie Pippen in college either. And Jordan was the best player in NBA history. Not just "those teams"

Michael Jordan was the best player in NBA history in 1987 and Jerry Krause didn't scout Scottie Pippen? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
In this excerpt, Krause wistfully wrote about the first time he saw Pippen play at the Portsmouth Invitational in Virginia, an annual predraft showcase:

Love at first sight — pure scouting love. Sitting high in the stands away from the other teams’ scouts and general managers as the teams came out to warm up before the last game of the tournament’s first round, I looked at (Bulls scout) Billy (McKinney) and said, ‘That’s Pippen, isn’t it?’ I could tell by his long arms. And the rest of the body — the shoulders, the feet. Wow. I’m thinking, ‘If he can play, this could be something.’

After about a quarter of the first game, the question of could he play had been answered. After the game, I told Billy to change his plans and stay in Portsmouth for the game the next night and to tell me which general managers changed their plans and stayed to watch the kid. Most of us were headed home for a day on the way to the next (predraft) tournament in Honolulu. I prayed that Pippen’s team would get beat the next night and not make it to the finals and that (NBA scouting director Marty) Blake wouldn’t invite him to Hawaii. No such luck. Scottie was the most valuable player award (winner) and was on his way to Hawaii.

In Hawaii, as the competition got better, so did Pippen. The thought of this guy playing alongside Michael (Jordan) caused this scout’s mind to work overtime. The quickest, longest-armed, most tremendous lateral quickness combination in the game . . . we had to get this guy.

We had the eighth and 10th picks in the draft. I learned that Sacramento, picking sixth, told everyone they were set on taking North Carolina point guard Kenny Smith. But I also found out they had cornered Pippen and asked him a bunch of questions and that Smith, who had a questionable knee in college, had taken (medical) tests for every team from Nos. 6 to 12 but us and Sacramento.

We worked out Pippen. It was the best individual workout I’d ever seen. (Strength and conditioning coach) Al (Vermeil) had a drill which measures lateral quickness and pure desire called a three-ball drill. A player has 30 seconds to get as many balls in the basket, basically by moving from a box on one side of the lane, picking the ball up and dunking it or laying it in the basket and moving to the other side of the lane to do it again. Scottie stunned everyone by setting a record that would last for the next 11 years.

We took him to dinner, to breakfast and spent time in between. We asked a ton of questions about his background and gave him psychological tests. When he left, I was more convinced than ever this was a player we had to have.

Figuring Sacramento at No. 6 was lying and would take Pippen, I knew we had to move up to No. 5 owned by Seattle. The Clippers were picking fourth. Seattle general manager Bob Whitsitt had a player he wanted at No. 5. If the Clippers took that player, our deal — swap picks No. 5 and No. 8, give them a second-round pick in the 1988 draft, agree to switch a first-round pick at their option in one of the next two drafts and give them two free exhibition games — was on.

Jerry Reinsdorf was on the phone with the Clippers and I was on another phone with Whitsitt when Reinsdorf told me, “The Clippers are taking Reggie Williams, a 6-7 guard from Georgetown.” I told Whitsitt, who told me Williams was the guy he wanted and thus our deal was on. I told him to draft Pippen for us. I never knew what happened in the Sacramento draft room but they took Smith. At No. 8, we took Olden Polynice, a center from Virginia, for Seattle and called the league to say we had a trade.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nba/ch ... ip/363970/

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:34 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Michael Jordan was the best player in NBA history in 1987 and Jerry Krause didn't scout Scottie Pippen? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
In this excerpt, Krause wistfully wrote about the first time he saw Pippen play at the Portsmouth Invitational in Virginia, an annual predraft showcase:

Love at first sight — pure scouting love. Sitting high in the stands away from the other teams’ scouts and general managers as the teams came out to warm up before the last game of the tournament’s first round, I looked at (Bulls scout) Billy (McKinney) and said, ‘That’s Pippen, isn’t it?’ I could tell by his long arms. And the rest of the body — the shoulders, the feet. Wow. I’m thinking, ‘If he can play, this could be something.’

After about a quarter of the first game, the question of could he play had been answered. After the game, I told Billy to change his plans and stay in Portsmouth for the game the next night and to tell me which general managers changed their plans and stayed to watch the kid. Most of us were headed home for a day on the way to the next (predraft) tournament in Honolulu. I prayed that Pippen’s team would get beat the next night and not make it to the finals and that (NBA scouting director Marty) Blake wouldn’t invite him to Hawaii. No such luck. Scottie was the most valuable player award (winner) and was on his way to Hawaii.

In Hawaii, as the competition got better, so did Pippen. The thought of this guy playing alongside Michael (Jordan) caused this scout’s mind to work overtime. The quickest, longest-armed, most tremendous lateral quickness combination in the game . . . we had to get this guy.

We had the eighth and 10th picks in the draft. I learned that Sacramento, picking sixth, told everyone they were set on taking North Carolina point guard Kenny Smith. But I also found out they had cornered Pippen and asked him a bunch of questions and that Smith, who had a questionable knee in college, had taken (medical) tests for every team from Nos. 6 to 12 but us and Sacramento.

We worked out Pippen. It was the best individual workout I’d ever seen. (Strength and conditioning coach) Al (Vermeil) had a drill which measures lateral quickness and pure desire called a three-ball drill. A player has 30 seconds to get as many balls in the basket, basically by moving from a box on one side of the lane, picking the ball up and dunking it or laying it in the basket and moving to the other side of the lane to do it again. Scottie stunned everyone by setting a record that would last for the next 11 years.

We took him to dinner, to breakfast and spent time in between. We asked a ton of questions about his background and gave him psychological tests. When he left, I was more convinced than ever this was a player we had to have.

Figuring Sacramento at No. 6 was lying and would take Pippen, I knew we had to move up to No. 5 owned by Seattle. The Clippers were picking fourth. Seattle general manager Bob Whitsitt had a player he wanted at No. 5. If the Clippers took that player, our deal — swap picks No. 5 and No. 8, give them a second-round pick in the 1988 draft, agree to switch a first-round pick at their option in one of the next two drafts and give them two free exhibition games — was on.

Jerry Reinsdorf was on the phone with the Clippers and I was on another phone with Whitsitt when Reinsdorf told me, “The Clippers are taking Reggie Williams, a 6-7 guard from Georgetown.” I told Whitsitt, who told me Williams was the guy he wanted and thus our deal was on. I told him to draft Pippen for us. I never knew what happened in the Sacramento draft room but they took Smith. At No. 8, we took Olden Polynice, a center from Virginia, for Seattle and called the league to say we had a trade.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nba/ch ... ip/363970/

That didn't take long now did it? And thanks for validating that Krause never scouted Scottie Pippen in college either :lol: :lol:

Nor did he "discover" him either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:06 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Tall Midget wrote:
When you look at the players on that 98 Bulls team, none of them ever really did much in the NBA after 98. Jordan for obvious reasons, but even guys like Rodman and Pippen too. Rodman only played 35 more games in the NBA and Pippen never made another All Star team. Jordan had to literally drag that 98 squad past the finish line in order to win. They were cooked.

Weren't most of the players on the 1999 Knicks and Spurs either past their prime or entirely without a prime? The main exception, of course, is Duncan, but he wasn't yet at his peak, though he was very, very good as a rookie.

The Knicks team wasn't that old at the time. At least not in comparison to the Bulls. That 98vBulls team was cooked minus Jordan. He was back to scoring nearly half the points just for them to have a chance. Rodman never really played again in the NBA and Pippen was nothing more than a role player for the rest of his career. Plus the Great Phil had already said he was up before the season began. The ONLY coach that Jordan stated he would ever play for.

That Knicks team may not have been that old, but it certainly wasn't that good. They were barely above .500 in '99.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:14 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
That Knicks team may not have been that old, but it certainly wasn't that good. They were barely above .500 in '99.
But by the end of 98', neither were the Bulls. Jordan had to outscore the entire team in that last game just to get by Utah. Who didn't make it anywhere near the Finals the following season.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:29 am 

So more mendacity from ltg but I think I understand the core of his overall thesis: Jerry Krause never existed. He's a figment of the public's imagination we created to rationalize how the Bulls could be so successful during that era. In doing so we took credit away from Jordan for scouting and drafting Pippen, Grant, Kukoc, and for trading for Rodman, among others. Credit to Jordan for all of that acquisition and drafting stuff, never realized he pulled all that off until today. Would explain the Bobcats/Hornets' decades of success too under his watch.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:37 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
So more mendacity from ltg but I think I understand the core of his overall thesis: Jerry Krause never existed. He's a figment of the public's imagination we created to rationalize how the Bulls could be so successful during that era. In doing so we took credit away from Jordan for scouting and drafting Pippen, Grant, Kukoc, and for trading for Rodman, among others. Credit to Jordan for all of that acquisition and drafting stuff, never realized he pulled all that off until today. Would explain the Bobcats/Hornets' decades of success too under his watch.

Hey Vegan. Care to explain how Krause "scouted" Scottie Pippen in "college" even though he admittedly "first" saw him play at the pre draft camp again for the "listeners" here again? I will hang up and listen for my answer.

Oh yeah. Can you also reconcile how you opine that Dwayne Wade had "little" to do with winning even though he "won" as the best player without Lebron James, Yet Pippen was nearly as instrumental to winning as Jordan even as he never came close to winning anything without him? Just Asking A Question

Last edited by The Doctor Of Style on Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:38 am 

Trick question, there's no such thing as "Jerry Krause".

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:40 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
Trick question, there's no such thing as "Jerry Krause".
Heretofore known as the "instrumental Jerry Krause" as far as you're concerned :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by The Doctor Of Style on Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:40 am 

Yep, the entire operation was run by Jordan and AI.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:41 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
Yep, the entire operation was run by Jordan and AI.

They weren't known as the "Jordannaires" for nothing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: What??
I especially liked the part when Reinsdorf told Krause “The Clippers are taking Reggie Williams, a 6-7 guard from Georgetown.”

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:10 am 
1000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:
But by the end of 98', neither were the Bulls. Jordan had to outscore the entire team in that last game just to get by Utah. Who didn't make it anywhere near the Finals the following season.

The Bulls certainly were in a state of decline, but they still won the NBA title in '98 and obviously very well could have beaten a chump team like the Knicks in '99. The roster undoubtedly would have been tuned up a little to infuse some energy into it.

When you watched the '99 Finals, did you think the Bulls would have lost to the Knicks or Spurs? I don't think most NBA fans did.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:26 am 

Are you aware of the circumstances? The entire reason they have all this footage is because it was indeed was "the last dance". Do you think Jordan doesn't know laying it all out there going 110 MPH isn't good for him? That the internal war with management was over and he won.

They were cooked. Nobody had anything left. It was easy 25 years later to say they all wanted to come back and do it again but at the time, they didn't. All they wanted to do was lord it over Krause and Reinsdorf and then go home and sleep for a month.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:29 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
The Bulls certainly were in a state of decline, but they still won the NBA title in '98 and obviously very well could have beaten a chump team like the Knicks in '99. The roster undoubtedly would have been tuned up a little to infuse some energy into it.

When you watched the '99 Finals, did you think the Bulls would have lost to the Knicks or Spurs? I don't think most NBA fans did.

The 99 Bulls may have been better than the Knicks. I doubt they would have beat the Spurs though.
None of the Bulls from that roster were ever really any good after that season. And that includes Pippen. Remember he was traded to (in theory) a team (The Rockets) that was better than the 99 Bulls and went out in the first round as I remember. And I really don't think people remember just how much Jordan had to carry that 98 team in order to win. Pippen was a no show the last 2-3 games of the Finals and took the first half of the season off because he was shitty about money and trade rumors. Rodman was cooked and the expected pay scale for the 98-99 team was expected to be astronomical. Thus adding other players who could have contributed would have been difficult.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:
Are you aware of the circumstances? The entire reason they have all this footage is because it was indeed was "the last dance". Do you think Jordan doesn't know laying it all out there going 110 MPH isn't good for him? That the internal war with management was over and he won.

They were cooked. Nobody had anything left. It was easy 25 years later to say they all wanted to come back and do it again but at the time, they didn't. All they wanted to do was lord it over Krause and Reinsdorf and then go home and sleep for a month.

There was a 50-game season in '99. Of course the Bulls could have won it all. The fact that a documentary crew was following the team around hardly proves otherwise. J

ackson lost the power struggle with Krause. That's why he wanted out. Jackson vilified Krause so that the players wouldn't stick around and win with someone else, thereby diminishing his legacy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:05 pm 

They could have easily won a 7th title if they could have convinced Jordan to take a paycut and they would fire Krause and let Phil be GM for a year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:08 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Nardi wrote:

There was a 50-game season in '99. Of course the Bulls could have won it all. The fact that a documentary crew was following the team around hardly proves otherwise. J

ackson lost the power struggle with Krause. That's why he wanted out. Jackson vilified Krause so that the players wouldn't stick around and win with someone else, thereby diminishing his legacy.

If Krause was let go, there was a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:13 pm 

Krause never existed, dumbasses. Jordan was behind it all.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:23 pm 

Yeah the guy who could never get back to the playoffs once Jordan left was the "key" to it all. His acquisition of players like Cliff "Good News" Livingston and Ed Neely were the sort of moves that put the Bulls "over the hump" as far as Vegan is concerned.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
To start the thread: "Bulls fans are classless for booing the memory of Jerry Krause!"

Same guy currently: "Here's exactly how useless and buffoonish Jerry Krause was as Bulls GM!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next