It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:39 pm 

Brittany Pietsch a former sales exec @ CloudFlare recorded herself getting fired via Zoom. This is a lesson for any young person working in corporate America the HR is not there to protect the employee but to protect the corporation/company and its best interests. When you think of complaining about your boss or co-worker HR is not always the best solution. The video of this women getting fired is the reason people hate Corporate America and phony corporate jargon that means nothing from HR.

In this case what I did not like is her boss/supervisor was not on the call and the HR resources who Brittany never met didn't have real details on why she was being fired. From her own account she just was was hired 3 months or so ago and got great reviews from her current manager so when the HR said its performance related they need to provide documentation her performance was not up to par or at least have the direct supervisor on the call to explain the situation. From the outside it looks like a quarterly reduction in force of a percentage of salespeople @ Cloudflare and cannot be attributed to someone who just started performance.

The CEO of Cloudflare, Matthew Prince, responded to Pietsch’s viral video on TikTok in a post on X claiming that the video was “painful” to watch.
Quote:
“The video is painful for me to watch, Managers should always be involved. HR should be involved, but it shouldn’t be outsourced to them,” he wrote. “No employee should ever actually be surprised they weren’t performing. We don’t always get it right. And sometimes under performing employees don’t actually listen to the feedback they’ve gotten before we let them go. Importantly, just because we fire someone doesn’t mean they’re a bad employee."

Brittany Pietsch reply to her video:
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/ur ... 440104960/

Article: https://www.thestreet.com/employment/cl ... goes-viral

Last edited by polster on Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:46 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
One of my favorite reports got laid off earlier this year and I wasn't allowed to be on the call to tell him. I didn't even know until moments before. It sucks. I've lost people but I carry that one with me.

Up in the Air was dystopian in 2009 but totally normal now: people you've never met popping up on a laptop from a thousand miles away telling you "there's nothing I can say that will help" while pretending to care. HR is vile.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:35 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Up in the Air was dystopian in 2009 but totally normal now: people you've never met popping up on a laptop from a thousand miles away telling you "there's nothing I can say that will help" while pretending to care. HR is vile.

Exactly like the movie Up In the Air.. basically non empathetic HR robots spewing corporate jargon from who knows where via a Zoom call. I still don't understand why a direct manager is not allowed on a call laying of their own employee. The direct manager is best resource to answer why this employee is getting fired.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
The direct manager was likely fired too. It’s a sad truth that this is how the world works.

As sympathetic as this girl may be, she’s also probably harmed her future career prospects with this stunt. Best case she’s corporate Curt Floyd.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
The direct manager was likely fired too. It’s a sad truth that this is how the world works.

As sympathetic as this girl may be, she’s also probably harmed her future career prospects with this stunt. Best case she’s corporate Curt Floyd.

Found the HR stooge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:12 pm 

How does a salesperson not know they aren't performing? It's like the easiest job to track.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's

Flood???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: What??

ehh...I've burned some bridges. Not the end of the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Nardi wrote:

ehh...I've burned some bridges. Not the end of the world.

#WORD

I've nuked more than a few, and none that I regret.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Seacrest wrote:

Flood???

Him too

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:48 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Would!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Why is she under the impression that "failing to close" isn't relevant to her evaluation?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 pm 

Because she said she was told otherwise. Now she knows the world gives zero fucks, which is a good lesson.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:48 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Brick wrote:
How does a salesperson not know they aren't performing? It's like the easiest job to track.

You are normally more sympathetic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:49 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Because she said she was told otherwise. Now she knows the world gives zero fucks, which is a good lesson.

Outside of the internet the world is full of lessons.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:

If I were in sales, I'm pretty sure I'd conclude that making sales is an important part of my job.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:54 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Nardi wrote:

If I were in sales, I'm pretty sure I'd conclude that making sales is an important part of my job.

:lol: also is it normal to be videotaped?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:16 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I'm sure you would but you're not wet behind the ears.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:32 pm 

She got hired and fired within six months without a PIP it sounds like. Not sure how that happens

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:41 pm 

Brick wrote:

She just started her job with a littler over 3months on the job experience which was mostly the ramp up/training period which ended around December. In corporate sales I don't think many deals close in December as its the end the year. Her manager said she was doing a good job so when you get fired at least give the honest reason and not some made up HR Jargon that's not based on your individual performance.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:02 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tall Midget wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Sure, and if I were hiring some super expensive nuclear closer with a track record of success I'd expect immediate results, but this is a young woman who they apparently shitcanned after just a few months without letting her build a book of business.

The HR guy sounded like the consultant who fired me from my own company because there was a new "para-dijum." I guess he didn't know who brought in the money that was paying his fee. One of the more satisfying moments of my life was when all the payroll checks bounced the week after I left.

Fuck George S. May Company!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:07 am 

Pretty sure neolib Brick is the HR guy that fired this lady

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:10 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:

I come from the Jack Welch style of business where you fire the bottom 10% every year and make sure the bottom 1% never work again and end up homeless on the street to maximize shareholder value.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:16 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Sure, and if I were hiring some super expensive nuclear closer with a track record of success I'd expect immediate results, but this is a young woman who they apparently shitcanned after just a few months without letting her build a book of business.

The HR guy sounded like the consultant who fired me from my own company because there was a new "para-dijum." I guess he didn't know who brought in the money that was paying his fee. One of the more satisfying moments of my life was when all the payroll checks bounced the week after I left.

Don't entry-level sales people get fired en masse all the time? As a rule, only the top performers are kept after their 3-month probationary period. This happened to a bunch of people I know when they began sales careers years ago. It's a shitty system to be sure; I'm just surprised that there apparently sn't greater awareness of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:17 am 
1000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

I come from the Jack Welch style of business where you fire the bottom 10% every year and make sure the bottom 1% never work again and end up homeless on the street to maximize shareholder value.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Don't entry-level sales people get fired en masse all the time? As a rule, only the top performers are kept after their 3-month probationary period. This happened to a bunch of people I know when they began sales careers years ago. It's a shitty system to be sure; I'm just surprised that there apparently sn't greater awareness of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:11 pm 

that went on 10min too long. the moment they said im fired im hanging up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:25 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
SpiralStairs wrote:
She got hired and fired within six months without a PIP it sounds like. Not sure how that happens

Four months, from what it sounded like: three-month onramp and then a bad December. Everyone knows that whole month is just "call me after the holidays [click]."

In my experience it's normally pretty hard to fire someone that soon without progressive discipline, but if it's a "reduction in force," anything goes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:00 pm 

Third prize is you’re fired.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:56 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Four months, from what it sounded like: three-month onramp and then a bad December. Everyone knows that whole month is just "call me after the holidays [click]."

In my experience it's normally pretty hard to fire someone that soon without progressive discipline, but if it's a "reduction in force," anything goes.

I think the point is, just say that. And it should come from a supervisor with whom you have worked rather than some corporate drone who has no clue who you even are.