It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:14 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
She got hired and fired within six months without a PIP it sounds like. Not sure how that happens

Four months, from what it sounded like: three-month onramp and then a bad December. Everyone knows that whole month is just "call me after the holidays [click]."

In my experience it's normally pretty hard to fire someone that soon without progressive discipline, but if it's a "reduction in force," anything goes.

I think the point is, just say that. And it should come from a supervisor with whom you have worked rather than some corporate drone who has no clue who you even are.

I don't think the "personal touch" of having your manager present when you are getting canned would soften the blow all that much, especially since managers are coached to speak in the meaningless language of HR in these situations anyway.

You can't humanize the process of firing someone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:31 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
She got hired and fired within six months without a PIP it sounds like. Not sure how that happens

Four months, from what it sounded like: three-month onramp and then a bad December. Everyone knows that whole month is just "call me after the holidays [click]."

In my experience it's normally pretty hard to fire someone that soon without progressive discipline, but if it's a "reduction in force," anything goes.

I think the point is, just say that. And it should come from a supervisor with whom you have worked rather than some corporate drone who has no clue who you even are.

I don't think the "personal touch" of having your manager present when you are getting canned would soften the blow all that much, especially since managers are coached to speak in the meaningless language of HR in these situations anyway.

You can't humanize the process of firing someone.

No one likes to be fired, but it's a lot less traumatic if it's a corporate decision that has nothing to do with your performance or you personally.

Like I said above, I've been fired one time. I'm still salty about it. Not because it hurt my feelings or dinged my self-esteem
( :lol: fat chance), but because it was done by expensive consultants who spent two weeks interviewing every employee and they couldn't figure out that the entire business was built around me. It really opened my eyes to corporate stupidity.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:58 am 
1000 CLUB

I got fired from Jerry's Fruit Market in Niles when I was 17 years old.

I did have some thoughts for that fat fuck Jerry on my way out, though, and the expression on his face as I provided my "input" still amuses me to this day.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:17 am 

i had a penis for a boss at menards when i was 16. when i told him i quit, he said "IF YOU WALK OUT THAT DOOR YOU WILL BE ON A LIST, AND CAN NEVER WORK AT MENARDS AGAIN FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE"

i replied 'oh my god thank you'

the look on his face i still remember too. i think about it now, and he was like a 32yo with no education making $18/hr feeling he hit the big leagues.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:37 am 

Tall Midget wrote:

I did have some thoughts for that fat fuck Jerry on my way out, though, and the expression on his face as I provided my "input" still amuses me to this day.

Curious how you got Fired from Jerry's? Seems like a place that always needs employees!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:14 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Agreed totally. Have the department/division head there for the gravitas (and as a witness) but let the direct manager do the talking no matter how hard it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Isn't there some kind of meme they could use to soften the blow? Some kind of Vince McMahon/Trump/The Office thing?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

I got fired last week, but I feel great about my impending financial ruin because it was my actual boss who canned me rather than some nondescript corporate drone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:01 pm 

its not financial ruin. just pull half your retirement out, pay a 35% penalty and die around 65 years old.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
There seems to be a conlfation of "layoff" and "fire" in the common parlance. I always reserved "fire" for dismissal for cause and "layoff" for reduction in forces. However, to my wife, any kind of termination is a "fire."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:50 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Sometimes I think the only reason I dodged the recent layoffs is that I'd have cost them $3,600 in unused PTO payout and they found someone who used theirs up. Thanks, Illinois.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Tall Midget wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
My first job out of school, I walked into a pending merger resulting in massive layoffs. Every week, different teams or parts of teams (or members of Teams) were shuffling out, boxes-in-hand. It was a pretty bleak situation. I was given a retention bonus to stay on after a few months on the job as - believe it or not - seeing colleagues routinely working to an end date does not employee loyalty create.

Eventually I was given a move-to-NY-or-you’re-out ultimatum, and I chose the latter. Everything worked out but those first few years completely jaded my entire view of work, business, life, etc.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:23 pm 

Why has it changed? I find it's only good to work for small companies if you have an 'in' with the owner, which never happens, and working for large companies is OK besides the staggering amount of idiots you have to deal with daily.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:29 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
Why has it changed? I find it's only good to work for small companies if you have an 'in' with the owner, which never happens, and working for large companies is OK besides the staggering amount of idiots you have to deal with daily.

The issue working for small companies (from my experience) is you become a jack of all trades and master of none. When you go to apply for another job and they ask specific questions about that role your applying for and you can only answer in basic terms because your not really an expert on what your applying for you will have a difficult time jumping to another company.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:57 pm 

That's when you tell the new company what you want to be,but frame it in the context that you have done it for years at the other company.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:07 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
That's when you tell the new company what you want to be,but frame it in the context that you have done it for years at the other company.

The issue is when you worked at a small company for like 10yrs and your title is SR Project manager for example but your skills are entry level (because your a jack of all trades master of none) at best and you apply for another company as a SR Project manager. You will get exposed very quickly that you don't know shit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:03 pm 

Yea but you do know stuff because like you said, you have to know a lot to succeed in small business.

The real problem is most people freak out when someone else says one thing that's wrong and they think that person is wrong about everything.

Also, I have known hires that come in from large corps and theyre exposed in small business too. It goes both ways. I think small business is great if you hate redundant ancillary tasks. You do get to focus on your job with a small company, even if you have to do things you normally shouldn't have to.

Big business you make more money, but the core of the job is playing all the games which can be hysterically maddening.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:11 pm 

The CEO of Cloudflare explaining why the laid off a sales person who they hired over the holidays for not closing a sale during the holiday season. :) :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:52 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
IkeSouth wrote:

There's nothing worse than working for a family business if you're not family.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:53 am 

polster wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

The issue is when you worked at a small company for like 10yrs and your title is SR Project manager for example but your skills are entry level (because your a jack of all trades master of none) at best and you apply for another company as a SR Project manager. You will get exposed very quickly that you don't know shit.

That's why I have to use JORR and Seacrest as references on job applications.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:32 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Tall Midget wrote:

:lol:

My dads place is basically across the street , he lived on Keeney
Him and his wife loved that place

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:33 am 

IkeSouth wrote:
that went on 10min too long. the moment they said im fired im hanging up.

This.

The only thing that should have kept her on was if she was going to take a flamethrower to the place. She didn't. There is no payoff to this video.

I was downsized once. I told the department chair I had a contract for another month. He said fine. They didn't really care if I came in or not but I was able to take advantage of the great subsidized lunch every day. I started working another job during that time and collected two paychecks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:38 am 
1000 CLUB

Bagels wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Great store, but Jerry was a slimeball.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Tall Midget wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Did he look like Jerry Krause ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:18 am 
1000 CLUB

Bagels wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Well, he was a rather rotund individual.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Tall Midget wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Well, he was a rather rotund individual.

All that fructose probably

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:06 am 

I really don't understand all the consternation about some entry level job she was going to leave the moment she found a better offer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:16 am 

Same. That chick is what, 25? and crying about losing a job? any job? weird too because she could make a ton of money on onlyfans. wouldnt even have to be naked just cook stuff and do house chores. dudes would throw money at her.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:56 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

When I got whacked in 2020, the message was delivered by my boss at the time. HR was there, but all the speaking was done by my boss and was entirely scripted with no variation or improvisation. Easier for him to do, as this was remote over Teams during COVID.

The message being delivered by someone I liked and respected didn't make it feel any better at all. I am pretty sure he felt like a complete turd having had to do it. In the end, all was fine, but about the only way for that to have been handled "decently" would have been to let the guy talk to me like he was a human being, not a robot. He was a Sr. Director and a professional....quite certain he could have handled it without the company getting sued. :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.