It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Who is the most douche out of 'em all for this?
NBC execs 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Jay Leno 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 7
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:33 pm 

And guys making big money cost the little guys once again. It always seems to get lost in the shuffle when entertainment folks go on strike that its normal guys who lose out.

http://tv.yahoo.com/show/34238/news/urn ... GYjzD6o9EF

Quote:
"A couple of days after the Writers Guild of America strike began November 5, the star of "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" told some 80 of his idled staffers that they need not worry about their finances.

Leno was so adamant about paychecks being safe, many didn't bother looking for new jobs even though NBC was forecasting layoffs.

So it came as quite a shock Friday when the entire staff was told that they were not only out of a job but also that they weren't guaranteed of being rehired once "The Tonight Show" returns."

and my favorite part of the whole mess:

Quote:
The fact that some of Leno's writers are paid $500,000 or more annually also didn't sit well with suddenly out-of-work production staffers who make a fraction of that amount. Writers also are getting residuals on "Tonight Show" reruns that air during the strike.

I'm sorry, who is the most of a douchebag to you guys? I for one say Leno, for promising folks their paychecks were secure; but I find it obnoxious that writers making a half a million feel compelled to strike to MAKE MORE MONEY; all the while the staff workers (boom mike, camera operators, producers, etc) are now all without jobs four weeks prior to Christmas.

Leno shouldn't of opened his pie hole, but there's enough to go around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Don't all the writers have to strike if they are part of the union, whether they want to or not?

I find it more disgusting they get 500k for the crap they right. I too could write bad jokes for that much. I do it for free here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

Sounds to me that the union should get the nomination as douchebag of the week. The good writers will get jobs and the union protected lousy writers are going to be out of luck and will have to find real jobs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
This is no different from when any other union goes on strike. Granted, there is a HUGE range of wages here, but as always, it's the lower paid unionites who will pay most dearly.

It's understandable that a business that is based on the union that is striking, be forced to layoff its "other" staff because there is no new work, but Leno's show goes the extra douchebag-mile by saying that they'll have to compete for their old jobs once the strike is resolved. Again, I realize that it's business, but how can you expect to create a sense of loyalty to the company when you treat employees this way?

I bet Letterman's staff (who he is paying the salaries of until the end of the year at least) would go to bat for him. Leno employees, or "former" Leno employees, would tell him to suck it.

And I wouldn't be so sure that some writers are receiving residual checks right now. What incentive is there currently for studios to be sending those out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:50 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
I find it more disgusting they get 500k for the crap they right. I too could write bad jokes for that much. I do it for free here.

Scary thought, "Best of the Tonight Show Starring Jay Leno", scarier thought, "The Tonight Show Starring Jay Leno/w Kid Cairo & Spaulding as Head Writers" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Killer V wrote:
This is no different from when any other union goes on strike. Granted, there is a HUGE range of wages here, but as always, it's the lower paid unionites who will pay most dearly.

There's a few things not being considered. Unlike Letterman, Leno does not "own" his show. Also, Leno's already announced that he'll be leaving that show in the not-too-far future. What leverage does he have with NBC to pay these guys? Not as much as you think. I was reading where he's negotiating between NBC and FOX, so his situation is volatile, too. And it's not as if we're seeing any new shows right now, anyhow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:06 pm 

Beebo wrote:
What leverage does he have with NBC to pay these guys? Not as much as you think. I was reading where he's negotiating between NBC and FOX, so his situation is volatile, too. And it's not as if we're seeing any new shows right now, anyhow.

But that ignores the fact that he could dip into his own pockets for say $2500/3000/5000 for each of the 80 fired staffers and get a lot of goodwill from his staff, regular behind the scenes types and the public at large. Oh wait, then that may cut into his ridiculous car/antique motorcycle collection :roll:

He could make the gift/support, refuse to make any public comment about it and actually come across as something other than a no talent kiss-ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Killer V wrote:

There's a few things not being considered. Unlike Letterman, Leno does not "own" his show. Also, Leno's already announced that he'll be leaving that show in the not-too-far future. What leverage does he have with NBC to pay these guys? Not as much as you think. I was reading where he's negotiating between NBC and FOX, so his situation is volatile, too. And it's not as if we're seeing any new shows right now, anyhow. E.g., there's no pressure on NBC to do anything, because Letterman's also doing reruns.