It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am 

Why is he being douchebagged for this. Countless others have been saying the same thing for years now.

Current and former NFL players don't want their kids to play. I haven't let my own 12yr old son (who's consistently the biggest/strongest in his grade) play to this point. Should I and other parents be douchebagged as well?!?

(I know the Board's been down this road before but...)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I think he's right about there being parents that will keep their kids away from football. But there will still be plenty of kids still playing. Kids (and their parents) from impoverished areas that see Football as a way to a better life are still gonna have their kids play. Kids from Texas and Florida, where Football is just part of their DNA are not gonna hold their kids out. It's an exaggeration to say that Football is dead. But he's right about the lawsuits being a concern for the game in the future. the same is true for MMA. But Football is taking measures to minimize the risks and it's possible that courts will side with the league and say that players should have reasonable concluded there were dangers in playing the game before having participated in it. If that happens, all the hand wringing will go away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:38 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
It's not a proper noun. What are you, German?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I think he's right about there being parents that will keep their kids away from football. But there will still be plenty of kids still playing. Kids (and their parents) from impoverished areas that see Football as a way to a better life are still gonna have their kids play. Kids from Texas and Florida, where Football is just part of their DNA are not gonna hold their kids out. It's an exaggeration to say that Football is dead. But he's right about the lawsuits being a concern for the game in the future. the same is true for MMA. But Football is taking measures to minimize the risks and it's possible that courts will side with the league and say that players should have reasonable concluded there were dangers in playing the game before having participated in it. If that happens, all the hand wringing will go away.

Correct

If you think the talent pool of kids in Texas, Alabama and Florida that want to earn millions by the time they are 28 years old is going to dry up...is foolish.

I am sure the Naperville Centrals of the world might feel it, but to say that the elite top athletes are going to be engineers is just foolish.

Antonio Gates is a great example of a guy who couldnt play NBA ball, but found a home in the NFL and the NFL has a home for LB's who cant play MLB or NBA ball, Cornerbacks who cant hit MLB pitching, WR's who can't Pitch and so on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Yes, but I could have applied the same argument to boxing, years ago. And while the years pass by, the purses grow smaller, and the argument of people taking the risks regardless loses its footing.

What's wrong with football? In my mind its the injury potential from helmets and the padding (that borders on being an exoskeleton) that are the issues. Work on excising them, and you got something to build on.

Said another way: rugby. Do you know people who get brain injuries from the playing of rugby? (One could add soccer, but it's not supposed to be a contact sport.)

It's back to leather helmets.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
bigfan wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Correct

If you think the talent pool of kids in Texas, Alabama and Florida that want to earn millions by the time they are 28 years old is going to dry up...is foolish.

I am sure the Naperville Centrals of the world might feel it, but to say that the elite top athletes are going to be engineers is just foolish.

Antonio Gates is a great example of a guy who couldnt play NBA ball, but found a home in the NFL and the NFL has a home for LB's who cant play MLB or NBA ball, Cornerbacks who cant hit MLB pitching, WR's who can't Pitch and so on.

NFL: The get-rich-quick scheme for kids who aren't good enough to get paid playing sports that require specialized skills.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
bigfan wrote:

I thought that was the Cubs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:10 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
This is just the Bernstein argument restated without the emotional attachment to the NFL. If you believe the Bernstein argument, you have to follow it through to its logical conclusion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:13 am 

Coal miners still mine. Steel workers still make steel. Smokers still smoke.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:48 pm 

what is dead can never die.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I guess the WLS bosses have declared him dead....his radio career, anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnKassTribune?ref=hl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:46 pm 

WLS lost to a gospel station last month and hit their lowest ratings I've ever seen them have. They've gotta be in panic mode.

The 9-11 death slot continues.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
cough cough BRANDMEIER cough

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Lawyer Joe Siprut, lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Danny Mac came to terms too soon?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:00 pm 

Big John Howell, Mac, Rush, and Dahl would have been the two-headed Soviet dog of Chicago radio.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:02 pm 

Someone should tell John Kass that newspapers were declared dead 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:31 pm 

I didn't even realize the guy was on the radio. He always seemed monotone and mush mouthed. His column on the losers of the election is the same as one of my posts. Maybe he reads the board. Hi John!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Re mushmouth I never heard him on the radio but I have seen him on the 'GN news and always thought the same thing. I would say he he writes better than he speaks but at the same time that does not set a very high bar.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
bigfan wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Correct

An NFL game is rapidly becoming a place for wealthy white people to watch poor black males knock themselves senseless on a 120 yard field.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:41 am 

you are overstating on both parts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:43 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Seacrest wrote:
An NFL game is rapidly becoming a place for wealthy white people to watch poor black males knock themselves senseless on a 120 yard field.

On a 72" television.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Seacrest wrote:

:scratch:

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:18 pm 

I wish I was as poor as an NFL player.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I wish I was as poor as an NFL player.

I just don't understand Seacrest.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
you are overstating on both parts

There are a few white guys left playing for the NFL. For now.

Check the demographics on youth football participation. I'm ahead of this trend. But not for long.