It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Harlem Globetrotters
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Dragged my wife and kids to see the trotters yesterday afternoon and as much as it pains me to say this, it was brutal. The days of Curley Neal and Goose Tatum are long gone. Half of the show was their absurd hip-hop "dancers" and the annoying MC who was desperately attempting to pump up the 1750 people who 1/4 filled the lower bowl of the Rosemont Horizon. Plus, these fucks shot like 40% from the field against the Washington Generals. I haven't seen so many missed dunks since Eddie Robinson. I want my $300 back. As an aside, there are a ton of fairly recent and familiar names on their all-time roster. Kenny Battle, Donnie Boyce, Olden Polynice, Bill Cosby (for real), and many more...

http://www.harlemglobetrotters.com/harl ... ime-roster

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

Post subject: Re: Harlem Globetrotters
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Ouch. Pretty sad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
My Grandfather is buried one over from Abe Saperstein, they were friends and bought plots from the same sales guy. In those days, it was the "BUY THE AND NOW BEFORE THEY RUN OUT",,'they are dieing to get in here!" Abe has a Red, White and Blue ball on his headstone. I have a few really old stuff from the original harlem Globetrotters in my Secure lockdown site.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:14 pm 

That's cool. The Globetrotters were a big deal back in the day--they had prime-time specials, Bob Hope appearances. They were superstars. I guess the rise of the Jordan era just ruined it and it never recovered.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:17 pm 

DannyB wrote:
That's cool. The Globetrotters were a big deal back in the day--they had prime-time specials, Bob Hope appearances. They were superstars. I guess the rise of the Jordan era just ruined it and it never recovered.

They have been sold like 5 times since. There is some family in Phoenix that owns the team now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
The first black Harlem Globetrotter.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83479601/

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Jobu
I saw them in Rockford last Saturday and I could not agree more with the original post. There definitely is no Meadowlark Lemon on the team any longer. When I was a kid, these bastards were sinking trick shots all over the place, but the members of the new team are fortunate to sink a dunk shot. The trick dribbles were going off their legs, the passes were way over the head of the target, etc. My wife and I just looked at each other repeatedly and shook our heads sadly. They have a girl on the team now - for no discernible reason, since there are probably members of the Chicago Sports Fan Message Board with more basketball talent.

At least the children had fun, mostly because they have no idea how good the old team was.

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
DannyB wrote:
Dragged my wife and kids to see the trotters yesterday afternoon and as much as it pains me to say this, it was brutal. The days of Curley Neal and Goose Tatum are long gone. Half of the show was their absurd hip-hop "dancers" and the annoying MC who was desperately attempting to pump up the 1750 people who 1/4 filled the lower bowl of the Rosemont Horizon. Plus, these fucks shot like 40% from the field against the Washington Generals. I haven't seen so many missed dunks since Eddie Robinson. I want my $300 back. As an aside, there are a ton of fairly recent and familiar names on their all-time roster. Kenny Battle, Donnie Boyce, Olden Polynice, Bill Cosby (for real), and many more...

http://www.harlemglobetrotters.com/harl ... ime-roster

You paid $300 to see the Globetrotters?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:18 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Donny Boyce? One of the Three Amigos from Proviso East?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:41 am 

KDdidit wrote:

Yesssir...... Donnie Boyce, Sherell Ford, and Michael Finley,

Even though I thought Boyce was coaching proviso east

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
When I was a kid I remember seeing Meadowlark Lemon make a hook shot from half court. Not from the middle, but by the sideline. Nothing but net.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:49 am 

bigfan wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

He currently is but it will very soon be was coaching Proviso East. He had "A Situation" while working as a security officer inside the school. He currently is on leave and a friend of mine Ced McCollough is currently the interim coach. It doesn't look good for Donnie Boyce on this one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Scorehead wrote:
You paid $300 to see the Globetrotters?

i know, right? what a cheapskate! nas woulda spent at least $1000 to get his kids in the front row.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:57 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
There are eight guys on the current roster who are under six feet! ACL. Ice. Globetrotters.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
yeah IIRC the globetrotters worked back in the day because there was just the NBA for professional basketballers, and therefore more of the "street" guys without the raw athleticism to play in the NBA could hook up with the globetrotters and practice their crazy trick shots and etc etc. and evidently back then the showsmanship was on another level because they had to do things to make you go !!!!/DAAAAAMMMNNNN!!!!!! because society as a whole expected talent and passion from their entertainers.... now they're beyond-conditioned for mediocrity-at-best and they worship whatever's there simply because it's there.

also nowadays you've got european leagues, the NBDL, and other things to soak up that 2nd-tier of basketball talent, so they're not automatically going to gravitate to the globetrotters to eek out a living as a professional basketballer. hell, there's those and-1 teams/barnstorming-tours that purport to get the best street-ball talent in the world assembled on one team. cuz guys like the professor would never stand a chance in the NBA given the raw athleticism required to make it to/in the association.... so instead of automatically ending up a globetrotter they showcase their skills with the and-1 tour and yeah. that little white kid was sick cuz idk if he could even dunk but he had the flashy streetball game along with a cold jumper that allowed him to be the unlikely underdog to make it onto the and-1 tour from 2003-2010 (i remember he was the kid who was on that old ESPN2 "making the tour" and-1 show and he was basically the turd that wouldn't flush.... and after he hit a huge 3pt shot to win a game for his team @ madison square garden it was like "ok kid you made the team")

and yeah.... these and-1 tour guys were the kind of guys who would have been globetrotters many moons ago, but now the globetrotters are basically a nostalgic thing where grand/parents take their kids all like "these guys were awesome back when i was your age!" but as you and countless others have noticed... the globetrotters are basically some kind of a joke in the 2010s because they're getting fourth-or-fifth-tier-talent at best, and yeah, if you have legit skills odds are you're going to go make your $$$ elsewhere trying to sell shoes/clothes/whatever for and-1 before you become a globetrotter.

btw that and-1 MC guy who walks around with a mic doing the play by play over the live PA for the crowd = sheer and utter shit. holy crap i hate that guy. OH BABY!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:06 pm 

long time guy wrote:
bigfan wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

He currently is but it will very soon be was coaching Proviso East. He had "A Situation" while working as a security officer inside the school. He currently is on leave and a friend of mine Ced McCollough is currently the interim coach. It doesn't look good for Donnie Boyce on this one.

I remember watching McCullough in H.S. I saw him play a few times when he was at Northern Iowa. As I recall he was a couple of years older than the 3 Amigos.

sinicalypse wrote:
yeah IIRC the globetrotters worked back in the day because there was just the NBA for professional basketballers, and therefore more of the "street" guys without the raw athleticism to play in the NBA could hook up with the globetrotters and practice their crazy trick shots and etc etc. and evidently back then the showsmanship was on another level because they had to do things to make you go !!!!/DAAAAAMMMNNNN!!!!!! because society as a whole expected talent and passion from their entertainers.... now they're beyond-conditioned for mediocrity-at-best and they worship whatever's there simply because it's there.

also nowadays you've got european leagues, the NBDL, and other things to soak up that 2nd-tier of basketball talent, so they're not automatically going to gravitate to the globetrotters to eek out a living as a professional basketballer. hell, there's those and-1 teams/barnstorming-tours that purport to get the best street-ball talent in the world assembled on one team. cuz guys like the professor would never stand a chance in the NBA given the raw athleticism required to make it to/in the association.... so instead of automatically ending up a globetrotter they showcase their skills with the and-1 tour and yeah. that little white kid was sick cuz idk if he could even dunk but he had the flashy streetball game along with a cold jumper that allowed him to be the unlikely underdog to make it onto the and-1 tour from 2003-2010 (i remember he was the kid who was on that old ESPN2 "making the tour" and-1 show and he was basically the turd that wouldn't flush.... and after he hit a huge 3pt shot to win a game for his team @ madison square garden it was like "ok kid you made the team")

and yeah.... these and-1 tour guys were the kind of guys who would have been globetrotters many moons ago, but now the globetrotters are basically a nostalgic thing where grand/parents take their kids all like "these guys were awesome back when i was your age!" but as you and countless others have noticed... the globetrotters are basically some kind of a joke in the 2010s because they're getting fourth-or-fifth-tier-talent at best, and yeah, if you have legit skills odds are you're going to go make your $$$ elsewhere trying to sell shoes/clothes/whatever for and-1 before you become a globetrotter.

btw that and-1 MC guy who walks around with a mic doing the play by play over the live PA for the crowd = sheer and utter shit. holy crap i hate that guy. OH BABY!

Yup. Exactly. My son (six yrs old) wanted to leave at halftime and asked when we were going to a Bulls game.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:13 pm 

Yeah he is. You must have been at the Proviso West Tournament? I happened to be sitting next to a few East fans who were already blaming him for the loss to Kenwood.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:50 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Yeah he is. You must have been at the Proviso West Tournament? I happened to be sitting next to a few East fans who were already blaming him for the loss to Kenwood.

Not recently but I attended a west suburban silver school so we played the provisos. I didn't play basketball given my husky nature but my friends who did talked about McCullough. Back in the that day west was better than east. My senior year our school started like 14-0 and then lost by like 20 to west. A couple friends came out after the game with tears in their eyes and I was like dude, you've never even come close to beating those guys. And they were all, you don't get it--coach just quit to take an NBA job. That coach? Bob Ociepka.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:31 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Was at a few great Proviso tournaments in the 90s after I went to LT. Three Amigos, Juwan Howard, Garnett, Proviso East vs West for the championship. I had a friend from college come to it and he was absolutely stunned by it. He was on some 3rd place in state team from Wyoming and Dubuque was the biggest city he'd ever been to at that time, and it's not like he thought his HS team was good or anything, but the quantum leap from Cody Wyoming to Proviso blew his mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:01 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Was at a few great Proviso tournaments in the 90s after I went to LT. Three Amigos, Juwan Howard, Garnett, Proviso East vs West for the championship. I had a friend from college come to it and he was absolutely stunned by it. He was on some 3rd place in state team from Wyoming and Dubuque was the biggest city he'd ever been to at that time, and it's not like he thought his HS team was good or anything, but the quantum leap from Cody Wyoming to Proviso blew his mind.

We actually lost to Lyons at the Proviso West Tournament in one of those yrs. It was the 89-90 season. They had Kenny Williams (not the White Sox GM) and Hornaceks younger brother. They beat us by a cool twenty and we went on about our business.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:43 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Was at someone's house today and they had the Globetrotters game on. Time was winding down, and I was surprised to see the Generals up by 3 points with about 20 seconds left in the game. (Could this be a rare win?) But then one of the Globetrotters sets up for a "4 point" shot (about 40 feet out) and drains it with 12 seconds left. Suddenly the game is declared final even though there should have been at least ten seconds left on the clock.

For a moment I was amazed that the Globetrotters would risk losing by leaving it up to a guy making a 40-ft shot. But then I realized that was the point of ending the game right after he made it. If he had missed, there would have been time left to orchestrate some other hijinks to ensure a HG victory.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:12 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
DannyB wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Not recently but I attended a west suburban silver school so we played the provisos. I didn't play basketball given my husky nature but my friends who did talked about McCullough. Back in the that day west was better than east. My senior year our school started like 14-0 and then lost by like 20 to west. A couple friends came out after the game with tears in their eyes and I was like dude, you've never even come close to beating those guys. And they were all, you don't get it--coach just quit to take an NBA job. That coach? Bob Ociepka.

I never remember York being good enough to start 14-0 in the late 80s. Ociepka was at Gordon when I was in high school. He had a couple good teams.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:27 am 

How did the Generals look? heard they got better?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
bigfan wrote:
How did the Generals look? heard they got better?

Looks like they've been working hard on the pick and pop.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:12 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I still have my Globetrotters LP!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Did any of them dunk with their feet?

DannyB wrote:
Dragged my wife and kids to see the trotters yesterday afternoon and as much as it pains me to say this, it was brutalr